Leisure Battery/starter charger

Hi all,
So Dellmassive has been a great help with my leisure electrics but I just would appreciate a little more advice on the most suitable charger to keep my new batteries in tiptop condition after use and when stood for a period of time, especially over winter months.

I have 2 120ah 12v AGM batteries in parallel (so 240ah I'm told) onboard the van & also a 70ah starter battery. I'm looking for a battery charger that is suitable to switch between both batteries if poss. I've become somewhat confused by some of the info around what amp charger I need so if any one could throw their advise into the mix I'd appreciate it.

PS I've been looking at This but not sure whether it's a bit of overkill.

Hi all,
So Dellmassive has been a great help with my leisure electrics but I just would appreciate a little more advice on the most suitable charger to keep my new batteries in tiptop condition after use and when stood for a period of time, especially over winter months.

I have 2 120ah 12v AGM batteries in parallel (so 240ah I'm told) onboard the van & also a 70ah starter battery. I'm looking for a battery charger that is suitable to switch between both batteries if poss. I've become somewhat confused by some of the info around what amp charger I need so if any one could throw their advise into the mix I'd appreciate it.

PS I've been looking at This but not sure whether it's a bit of overkill.
You’ll never go wrong with Victron.

Charger size is recommended 10-20% of battery capacity.

So for one 120ah AGM battery, that would be 12-24A.

As you have have two 120s that would be 24-48A.

Based on 10% charger size you can expect a 10hr full charge time.

And 20% will get you a 5hr charge time.

This is assuming that all the power is going to the battery and not running any 12,v loads.

So the final charger size should be :

Battery charger size + expected loads.

Example:

20A for battery charge + 10A for van loads = 30A charger needed.

You could just for a small 10A charger, it will work, but the charge time will extend.

Ie 24hrs to change, and amy additional loads will extend that charge time.

More info

For your twin agms,

I would recommend

A 30A victron smart charger,

Example..

IP22. - 12/30/1

(12v 30A. 1x output)

Screenshot_20240502_061614_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Or the basic 15A version.

12/15/1

Last edited:
Fwiw,....

The also do the 3 output version,

Where you can connect the one charger to up to three battery banks.

Ie starter and leisure batterys.... The only stipulation is that they need to be the same chemistry.. which yours are... All SLI AGM.

Example.....

12/30/3

Screenshot_20240502_062236_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The other option.

Is leave all your chargers on the leisure battery, ie EHU and solar.

Then use a small AMT12-2 mini trickle charger to keep your starter topped up from the LBs.... This is what I use and they are very effective, and cheaper than a dedicated charger, plus work all the time. On or off grid.

More info.....

Back