MOT: which class?

My van was due to have its first MOT in my ownership today. But the garage called me to say it’s class 7 so they can’t do it

It’s a LWB T30 so not sure why it’s class 7 as after reading this thread seems it should be class 4.

They don’t seem to know how to change it. “Computer says no” kind of response. There is another local garage they will take it to on Monday to get it tested there and hopefully I won’t be out of pocket.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the class? Maybe it’s something I can arrange for next year!

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
My van was due to have its first MOT in my ownership today. But the garage called me to say it’s class 7 so they can’t do it

It’s a LWB T30 so not sure why it’s class 7 as after reading this thread seems it should be class 4.

They don’t seem to know how to change it. “Computer says no” kind of response. There is another local garage they will take it to on Monday to get it tested there and hopefully I won’t be out of pocket.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the class? Maybe it’s something I can arrange for next year!
Is it a normal van or a camper conversion?

Erm.. it has windows and a pop top (no seats in back, no gas/sink). It is still a "panel van" on the V5.
What does the V5 say the MGW/MAM is? If it isn't over 3000kg it's class 4

The vehicle should be tested "As Presented" if it falls into Class 4, how it's been tested previously is irrelevant.

Last edited:
What does the V5 say the MGW/MAM is? If it isn't over 3000kg it's class 4

I don't see anything that specifically mentions MGW/MAM - but the max. permissible mass is 3000, the revenue weight is 3000KG GROSS.
So I also thought it should be a class 4, but I don't know how to get it changed

All campervans are Class 4 regardless of how much they weigh according to the last MOT tester I spoke with.

I don't see anything that specifically mentions MGW/MAM - but the max. permissible mass is 3000, the revenue weight is 3000KG GROSS.
So I also thought it should be a class 4, but I don't know how to get it changed
Then it's class 4, whoever told you it's class 7 is wrong. It sounds like it may have been "Mis-tested" in the past & is now showing as a class 7. Or it may be a t32 that's been downplated, so previously would have been class 7. There is a facility at the MOT station to change the class, E.g. if the van has been converted to a camper/motor home, it may previously (before conversion) have been class 7, but now, as a a camper it falls into Class 4. The tester can change this on the system. I suggest you find a tester that knows what he/she/they are doing & take it to them.

Thanks @Salty Spuds, I wonder if they just can't be bothered to change it/ran out of time to actually test it, and this was the excuse. Or like you say, maybe they don't know what they're on about.
I'm so mistrusting of mechanics as it is...

It is two clicks to change the class of vehicle. When they register the vehicle it will take them to a page that has all the vehicle details. All they do is click on class of vehicle and select class 4 from the list.

Simples!
Well the garage seem to be quite offended when I suggested it was 2 clicks and kept repeating that the “system says it’s class 7” :(
Needless to say, I’m collecting the van tonight and the class 7 MOT they arranged on Monday is cancelled and I’ll have to call elsewhere to get it booked

Well the garage seem to be quite offended when I suggested it was 2 clicks and kept repeating that the “system says it’s class 7” :(
Needless to say, I’m collecting the van tonight and the class 7 MOT they arranged on Monday is cancelled and I’ll have to call elsewhere to get it booked
After picking the van up and speaking to them face to face I’ll get the MOT done as class 7 as it’s the same cost. (They take it to a tester on the same estate!)
But they are adamant if they change it to class 4 it can cause problems. I’ll see if I contact DVSA directly and if they can change it

There’s loads on the gov.uk site. If you find the ‘MOT testing guide for testing stations’ it gives all the categories the different types of vehicles. Interesting bit about ‘dual purpose vehicles’ (kombis) as well. I would do a link but don’t know how!!

There’s loads on the gov.uk site. If you find the ‘MOT testing guide for testing stations’ it gives all the categories the different types of vehicles. Interesting bit about ‘dual purpose vehicles’ (kombis) as well. I would do a link but don’t know how!!
See post #144 above

It’s clear my van should be class 4.

I’m going to try live chat with DVLA/DVSA or whoever needs to change it on “the system” on Monday.

Reactions: CAB
It’s clear my van should be class 4.

I’m going to try live chat with DVLA/DVSA or whoever needs to change it on “the system” on Monday.
As previously stated, any competent MOT tester who knows how to operate the system can do it.

100% they can change it. We are a class 4 station and can vouch from recent experience.

Just recently my own van was getting registered for its test by our younger mechanic who has only been testing for a year. He shouted on me in panic saying it was a class 7. No need to panic, just change it. It's a camper, so class 4. Also it's only a t30, so again a class 4. Looks like the previous garage that tested it had no clue what they were doing so tested it as a class 7.

And yes. 2 clicks changes it.

Back