MOT: which class?

Not if its a camper though. Still class 4 then.
My Merc ran at 4.5 ton but was still class 4 as it was a camper. Had to use a class 7 testing station though as it was too big for all the local class 4 testing stations.

My T32 started life as a panel van and was tested as class 7 for its first MOT when I purchased it from VW. I then converted it and VW again tested it as class 7 the following year.
I next took it to a local HGV test centre and he tested it as class 4 -as presented- ie it’s a camper, not a panel van. He changed it on the DVLA portal as he described it.
It seems not all testers are created equal.

Reactions: CAB
My T32 started life as a panel van and was tested as class 7 for its first MOT when I purchased it from VW. I then converted it and VW again tested it as class 7 the following year.
I next took it to a local HGV test centre and he tested it as class 4 -as presented- ie it’s a camper, not a panel van. He changed it on the DVLA portal as he described it.
It seems not all testers are created equal.
Very true, my last MOT I had to open up the MOT manual on my phone and show the tester the paragraph that showed why my van should pass and not fail. He said ‘they keep changing it’.
If ‘they keep changing it’ it might be a good idea to keep up to date especially if it’s what you do for a living.
Bit my lip a few times and left him to slip back into the 19th century.

Regarding changing the class of vehicle on an MOT. I have attached a couple of pics of how easy it is done. The first picture shows the vehicle details. You'll notice that down the right hand side there are change hyperlinks we can click on. When we click on the one next to MOT test class, we are presented with the second picture. Click the class you want, job done.

IMG_20240501_110054~2.jpgIMG_20240501_110140.jpg

Back