Noise from air box and egr floe fault

Jimmynoone79

VIP Member
Hi

I've got a VW t6 102 and have a couple of issues. I recently had my egr replaced as it was blocked. since this work was carried out I have an engine fault for egr low flow. I've also noticed when I rev my engine and let the revs die off it makes a noise around the airfilter housing like a loud whoosh. Anyone ideas why I've got the low flow alarm and if the noise around the air box could be connected?

Thanks in advance

I recently had my egr replaced as it was blocked. since this work was carried out I have an engine fault for egr low flow
If it’s happening since the work was carried out I’d say it is definitely linked but may not be the cause.
It sounds like you have a leaking induction hose, either way if the work was carried out by somebody other than yourself take it back for them to fix.

If it’s happening since the work was carried out I’d say it is definitely linked but may not be the cause.
It sounds like you have a leaking induction hose, either way if the work was carried out by somebody other than yourself take it back for them to fix.
Thanks for reply. Induction hose being from the air box Into the turbo?

Thanks for reply. Induction hose being from the air box Into the turbo?
Yes that is but more likely between the turbocharger and the throttle valve as that is the hose under pressure.
According to VW the hose should be replaced if removed to prevent leakage, I can’t say I agree as there is no reason why it cant be refitted and seal 100%

Hi

I've had a feel around can't find anything. Here's video with the sound if that helps. I'm getting it booked in with the garage next week but half the time these garages just guess and before you know it you have a whole new engine the massive bill and the same bloody issue. I'd love to go in and point and say fix that please.

Hi

I've had a feel around can't find anything. Here's video with the sound if that helps. I'm getting it booked in with the garage next week but half the time these garages just guess and before you know it you have a whole new engine the massive bill and the same bloody issue. I'd love to go in and point and say fix that please.
Get some soapy water on the hoses and connections, the leak will bubble. The van isn’t very old so I doubt it’s a split hose, more likely a connection not sealing.

Is this the same noise? ‘Put put’ noise happens when engine is warm in Park when the throttle is pushed and released a little. Could it be air related? Just had the Dual Mass Flywheel replaced so it won’t be that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. > Video

Hi

Would love to hear the sound if you can share the video Jimmy.

Is this the same noise? ‘Put put’ noise happens when engine is warm in Park when the throttle is pushed and released a little. Could it be air related? Just had the Dual Mass Flywheel replaced so it won’t be that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. > Video
Did you work out what the noise was ? Mine is doing the same, usually when warm and then re started, noise happens at idle and as the accelerator is pressed very slightly, i thought it was EGR but that has all just been renewed. Apart from that van seems to run fine. Late T6 199 DSG 4M

Did you work out what the noise was ? Mine is doing the same, usually when warm and then re started, noise happens at idle and as the accelerator is pressed very slightly, i thought it was EGR but that has all just been renewed. Apart from that van seems to run fine. Late T6 199 DSG 4M
Nope. Had the dual mass flywheel replaced. So it’s not that! I may pay dig a diagnostic check at VW Commercial in the next few rems, then I’ll update here. Hopefully it’s something small. Performance fine. Big laggy from standstill, but it’s a van.

Nope. Had the dual mass flywheel replaced. So it’s not that! I may pay dig a diagnostic check at VW Commercial in the next few rems, then I’ll update here. Hopefully it’s something small. Performance fine. Big laggy from standstill, but it’s a van.
Mine is the same, I did think DMF but had that checked, then my EGR light came on and I assumed it must have been the EGR as it was starting to block up… new EGR and cooler, noise still there. It’s driving me mad as it only does it when warm and I can’t see any performance issues, been going on since 90K, Im at 97k now

Mine is the same, I did think DMF but had that checked, then my EGR light came on and I assumed it must have been the EGR as it was starting to block up… new EGR and cooler, noise still there. It’s driving me mad as it only does it when warm and I can’t see any performance issues, been going on since 90K, Im at 97k now
There is no EGR light. There is no link between the DMF and EGR. A blocked EGR won’t create any noise.
For a diagnosis the starting point is to read any fault codes, have a Search with ‘Carista’

There is no EGR light. There is no link between the DMF and EGR. A blocked EGR won’t create any noise.
For a diagnosis the starting point is to read any fault codes, have a Search with ‘Carista’
Nothing on Carista since the EGR fault which causes the engine fault the light, the noise is an intermittent dull thud at idle or as the peddle is pressed slightly just as others have reported, it does not seem to be coming from the engine its self but behind or underneath the engine. I know the EGR and DMF are not linked, it was just part of the process of trying to track down the source. My DMF was checked and the EGR has been changed but noise is still there. I have attached a recording.

Last edited:
Nothing on Carista since the EGR fault which causes the engine fault the light, the noise is an intermittent dull thud at idle or as the peddle is pressed slightly just as others have reported, it does not seem to be coming from the engine its self but behind or underneath the engine. I know the EGR and DMF are not linked, it was just part of the process of trying to track down the source. My DMF was checked and the EGR has been changed but noise is still there. I have attached a recording.

Did you find out what it was as my t6 is doing the samething please

No I have had 2 garages look at my van and still cannot find out what it is drives me up the wall lol
Same !!! , I am now trying fuel additives etc just to see if that has anything to do with it. I was initially convinced it was DMF, then I was sure that it was something to do with EGR (it started intermittently about 6 months before my EGR packed in) but it's still there, It does seem to be less frequent following the EGR replacement though.

I thought it was a air leak split pipe or something but nothing van run's perfect if anyone find out please could you pass it on many thanks

This is identical to our T6 noise. Same sort of pattern and everything. Just working out how to get to post #54…

Back