Renogy 50ah lithium battery not accepting a charge

nice,

the fourth LED over ( that we cant see ) shows the battery type that the charger is set too.

the charge light is "green", indicating fully charged. . but thats a false positive if the charged voltage is set so low at 13.6v vs the 14.4v that the battery calls for.

1718650393304.png

some screen shots of the DC Home APP and battery settings would be good?

heres my install with the same charger from before - [Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

1718650604856.png

and the 14.4v i was using tio charge a Renogy 100Ah battery,

1718650658128.png

I have gone in on the BT2 and set the DC-DC 30A to 14.2v as you suggested. I had only set it to 13.6v a few days ago so it had historically been on 14v. As soon as I changed it to the 14.2 it called for a bit more for the the batteries. Nice and sunny today so plenty of solar available. I fitted 2 x 100 renogy flexible panels..new type with PERC cells. At one point yesterday I was getting 172W which is very good.

nice,

what's the update on the cell balance?

from this. . .

C1 = 3.4
C2 = 3.3
C3 = 3.2
C4 = 3.0

as the delta is 0.4v or 400mV - which in a lithium pack is massive.

ideally the delta difference would be 0.01v . . but that depends on the cells.

and what's the shunt showing?

post loads of pics - i love pics. .

nice,

what's the update on the cell balance?

from this. . .

C1 = 3.4
C2 = 3.3
C3 = 3.2
C4 = 3.0

as the delta is 0.4v or 400mV - which in a lithium pack is massive.

ideally the delta difference would be 0.01v . . but that depends on the cells.

and what's the shunt showing?

post loads of pics - i love pics. .

Don't have a shunt fitted..yet
I am going to take voltage measurements later today. Backed up with other things right now.... but hopefully it's working ok and the equalising board seems to be working. Update you later or this evening ;)

Don't have a shunt fitted..yet
I am going to take voltage measurements later today. Backed up with other things right now.... but hopefully it's working ok and the equalising board seems to be working. Update you later or this evening ;)
Voltages taken this morning
C1 = 3.23
C2 = 3.31
C3 = 3.31
C4 = 3.46
Total across + and - 13.31
Still balancing on equaliser 2 leds 3/4 and 2&3 running. Will probably take a while for it all to balance out.

cool.

going as a very rough guide from this LiTime lithium, that may translate to around 75% charged

static resting voltage with no loads or chargers connected and after a settle time.

+++++++++++++++

V vs Soc - as wel have no APP, they offer this detail:
0% - 10-12v
25% - 13-13.5v
50% - 13.15-13.2v
75%- 13.3-13.33v
100% - >13.33

+++++++++++++

1718705003480.png

++

1718705023428.png

+++

Rather than a SOC or shunt, this is what I am considering. ISDT BattGo BG-8S Battery Meter

It is also for when I want to build a few LIFE battery packs and to allow me to top balance them. It will also tell me whether my small equalizer board is doing the job that the Renogy BMS, as is becoming clear, is not.

Last edited:
nice,

but that's only a voltage tool. and does a different job than a shunt.

++

it wont tell you capacity, ( 0-100% fuel gauge)

or wh in or out of the battery, ( capacity )

or current draw from your loads. ( whats your fridge and heater pulling?)

or charge from you solar panel. (how much charge from the panels going in?)

so a nice tool,

but wont achieve what a shunt will

+++++

but it will tell you cell voltage and cell delta.

and act as a balance board.

I am building a 4s 12v power pack from 40 x 18650 lithium cells and a cheapo BMS to run a music keyboard from it. The shunt purchase for the leisure battery will be at a later date.
I have 200W of Renogy solar on the campervan roof. My Alpicool compressor fridge pulls about 45W when the temperature increases to the stat setting but it is very efficient and is longer off than on (depending on ambient obviously).
My diesel heater (cheapo eBay one) draws 10A (120w) for about 90 seconds then sits at 2A (24W)
The ISDT battery meter will allow me to see how accurately the wee equaliser board is balancing the renogy 50aH LIFE04. So 600Whr (50aH x 12v). Duty cycle of fridge averaged over an hour 20Whr + 24Whr = 64Whr means I can expect about 8 hours but off course I am continually getting a bit of solar and ALT+ input when driving. I know I don't want to draw the battery down but by that time I will have hopefully 100aH with two batteries.
If the equaliser (£6.59 eBay) board is doing a good job of balancing the 1st leisure battery, I intend to buy another one to fit to the 2nd Renogy 50aH Life04 I have which I have top balanced.
Then I will parallel these up and I will have 100aH from the 2 batteries...then after that I will fit a Renogy Shunt .... maybe next month.

You can see just how out of balance this Renogy 50aH battery is. This ISDT battery checker can do balancing. It also , as you can see shows a SOC of the cells
IMG_2682.jpeg

Setting the Renogy DC-DC output voltage to 14.2v causes cell group 4 to go overvolt and shutdown new JBD BMS. Setting the voltage output to 13.8 works OK

Back