Renogy simple set up - after some advice

@Dellmassive - so I tried on a bench to link smart self heating battery and dc-dc and use BT-2 and it’s a no! I can see what you’re referencing regarding batteries linked when in parallel but different types of device don’t seem to work - at least not for me. Hub was fine providing you follow the rule of plugging in only one device and add to app, then disconnect and plug in other device and add in app - then plug both back into hub.

I thought that was interesting so took a look. They are quoting less charge cycles (>2000) for the BT 100ah compared to the smart model (>4000) which is the older type. Haven‘t checked dimensions to see if different but from the images I think the cells used to build the BT battery are different as I believe on a tear down by Will Prowse the older ‘smart’ version has pouch cells - the BT ones look as if they may be prismatic. @Dellmassive might know?
Double-lifespan is currently swaying my preference to the older, slightly more expensive 'Smart' 100Ah battery over the newer 'Bluetooth' battery. Why would they decrease the lifespan, for a 'newer' model. It doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the BMS of the older one is better at taking care of the chemistry of the battery.

So then comes the question that I'm sure many of us want to know: What is the difference between the 'Smart' battery with the BT dongle plugged into it, vs the newer battery which has BT already in it?

I see that there is also the option of the Xplorer Base 100ah Lithium LiFePO4 Battery, which is currently 400 quid. It seems under-seat friendly, has BMS, 5 year warranty and greater than 3000 cycles. Any body care to share their opinion on this?

Xplorer Base 100ah Lithium LiFePO4 Battery,

Xplorer Base 100ah Lithium LiFePO4 Battery, which is currently 400 quid. It seems under-seat friendly, has BMS, 5 year warranty and greater than 3000 cycles. Any body care to share their opinion on this?

Thats a new one. . . . . ill check it out . . .

looks like NO BT or Monitoring on it though.

v1652810673433.png

Double-lifespan is currently swaying my preference to the older, slightly more expensive 'Smart' 100Ah battery over the newer 'Bluetooth' battery. Why would they decrease the lifespan, for a 'newer' model. It doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the BMS of the older one is better at taking care of the chemistry of the battery.

So then comes the question that I'm sure many of us want to know: What is the difference between the 'Smart' battery with the BT dongle plugged into it, vs the newer battery which has BT already in it?

I see that there is also the option of the Xplorer Base 100ah Lithium LiFePO4 Battery, which is currently 400 quid. It seems under-seat friendly, has BMS, 5 year warranty and greater than 3000 cycles. Any body care to share their opinion on this?
So it appears that with the different cells, the newer BT one claims to be a more direct fit size wise to standard batteries.

As I’m still waiting for the factory to furnish me with my kombi all I could do was mock-up the installation with a seat base I bought for the purpose. All fit quite nicely so sold the seat base and the wait goes on to install for real. I bought the seat raisers from Kiravans who assure me they also work with a single factory swivel and I’ll use them to get enough clearance to have the battery upright.

So it appears that with the different cells, the newer BT one claims to be a more direct fit size wise to standard batteries.

As I’m still waiting for the factory to furnish me with my kombi all I could do was mock-up the installation with a seat base I bought for the purpose. All fit quite nicely so sold the seat base and the wait goes on to install for real. I bought the seat raisers from Kiravans who assure me they also work with a single factory swivel and I’ll use them to get enough clearance to have the battery upright.
Good to know, cheers.

I was actually going to post elsewhere to find out if batteries and wiring can actually be installed above swivel seats in general? Would you know much about this? How to install cables to avoid damage. Are certain brand of swivel seats better for the purposes of installing wired units inside?

Good to know, cheers.

I was actually going to post elsewhere to find out if batteries and wiring can actually be installed above swivel seats in general? Would you know much about this? How to install cables to avoid damage. Are certain brand of swivel seats better for the purposes of installing wired units inside?
I know that some double swivels are a no go as the swivel sits under the entire seat base (frame). Unfortunately I’ve just concentrated on the factory single seats that swivel so everything in the seat base stays stationary and the swivel sits between the base and the seat. Others on the forum will be better able to help - have you done a search? .

I've got the HUB too, , , , but not used it yet.

I've had the BT-2 running 2x smart batteries . . . . but havent linked in the DC50s yet.

might be worth a test. . . . it should work as they are using the standard RS485 comms protocol. - but as you sudjest, it needs testing to prove either way.
I've finally gotten around to testing my 100ah battery and bt-2 and I can confirm that it's possible to daisy chain DC30 + 100aH + bt-2. No hub required.

Screenshot_2022-05-26-22-44-43-21_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-26-22-44-39-69_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-26-22-44-30-74_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a.jpg

@paddy26 - thats awsome, great news.

thanks for confirming,

i love the Renogy kit. - I've got it all hanging around, but havent had a chance to test the setup.

post some pics of your install...

@Dellmassive - so I tried on a bench to link smart self heating battery and dc-dc and use BT-2 and it’s a no! I can see what you’re referencing regarding batteries linked when in parallel but different types of device don’t seem to work - at least not for me. Hub was fine providing you follow the rule of plugging in only one device and add to app, then disconnect and plug in other device and add in app - then plug both back into hub.
I wonder if this is because the battery and the dc/dc both have the address '1'?

Is there a way to change the address while the BT2 is connected to one device?

RS485 wiring with Modbus protocol allows for connection to many devices (I think 255), with no hub needed. Renogy may have put something special into the mix, my guess is that all the hub does is assign unique addresses to each device.

When I eventually buy a Renogy battery I'll try all this.

Yeh, really interesting as my combination wouldn’t play ball whatsoever!
I’ll have to retry when I can and see if I can save the space the hub would take up.
@paddy26 good work! :cool:

I fitted my 100a bluetooth renogy battery and 50 dc - dc charger and bt2 module recently under my drivers seat base and all seems to work ok, pics to follow as they are under a rib swivel so a bit awkward to get in. was seeing just under 50a coming in. The only thing i find is the app does not always connect to the bt module, anyone else had this?

I fitted my 100a bluetooth renogy battery and 50 dc - dc charger and bt2 module recently under my drivers seat base and all seems to work ok, pics to follow as they are under a rib swivel so a bit awkward to get in. was seeing just under 50a coming in. The only thing i find is the app does not always connect to the bt module, anyone else had this?
Make sure you only have the App installed on one device....

I run into the problem where I Installed on phone and tablet.... Then couldn't connect with the phone.....

It turned out to be the BT2 was connecting to the tablet in the background, so blocking the connection for the phone.

Easy fix was to uninstall from the tablet while I wasn't using it.

Appart from that conection issues are normally fixed by closing all apps, then turning Bluetooth off, then on and retry.

Or.

Just rebooting the phone.

nice one dell, will do. just got to make a better holder for the battery next as its quite large

@paddy26
post some pics of your install...
I'll try get some pics over the weekend.
I wonder if this is because the battery and the dc/dc both have the address '1'?

Is there a way to change the address while the BT2 is connected to one device?
When I added the devices I chose "hub mode". Maybe that ensures the devices have the correct address?
I haven't seen a way to modify the address from the DC Home app.

Screenshot_2022-05-26-19-56-02-35_cdbcd3a7d58eaa533e9688e5adf5df3a~2.jpg

Old:
IMG_20220528_175651.jpg

New: You can just make out the dcc30s in the 1st pic. I have to remake the 2 power cables that are crossing the battery but didn't have time today so wired it up temporarily.
IMG20220528132007.jpg
IMG20220528132242.jpg

IMG20220528132242.jpg

A question for all of those with the Renogy DC-DC. Fitted mine at the weekend and wanted to ask if the unit always stays on? It looks like the "Service Battery Indicator" and "Battery Type Indicator" are always on. Are others seeing the same? Are you seeing any inpact on the starter battery?

A question for all of those with the Renogy DC-DC. Fitted mine at the weekend and wanted to ask if the unit always stays on? It looks like the "Service Battery Indicator" and "Battery Type Indicator" are always on. Are others seeing the same? Are you seeing any inpact on the starter battery?
Yes the two LEDs stay lit, that's normal.

The ALT will go off when the unit switches off.... And ON when it starts up.

Screenshot_20220831-210318_Photos.jpg

Thanks, @Dellmassive. I thought it was okay but wanted to check.
You don't happen to know what the sensor connector type that Renogy use is do you? I wanted to make up a cable for the Battery Voltage Sensor but not sure what the connector is.

Thanks, @Dellmassive. I thought it was okay but wanted to check.
You don't happen to know what the sensor connector type that Renogy use is do you? I wanted to make up a cable for the Battery Voltage Sensor but not sure what the connector is.
You mean the green 2pin plug?

They have ditched it in the newer units.... But you used to get one in the older packs.

They ditched it as you don't need it... The idea was to measure accurate voltage on remote battery banks.

But I think they have tweaked the FW on the box and done away with including the cable.

I think they are called a phoenix connector...

But there are loads of different sizes.

Screenshot_20220831-211233_Chrome.jpg

For mine, its listed as an optional extra. I did wonder how much use it acutally would be given the unit is connected to the battery already. For additional battery banks makes sense. Good to know the name though! Once again, thanks for the info.

Back