Reversing Camera - wiring harness route

What's the issue we fit loads of campers with dash cams and reverse cameras down that side after they're converted can you not get through?

What's the issue we fit loads of campers with dash cams and reverse cameras down that side after they're converted can you not get through?
Nope. I get a fish wire through but when i try to get the dash cam cable through it keeps pulling off

Watching this thread with interest since I need to do exactly the same thing!
Though I was intending on starting at the tailgate bung and working towards the B pillar.

I ran my Blackvue cable out of the top of the B pillar trim and onto the ledge that the pop top board rests on. There is enough clearance to the side for the cable and cable-ties with small sticky pads to hold it. At the back it loops out and into the high-level furniture that I have there. The camera is actually mounted on that furniture, and not the tailgate so I didn’t need to gain access into the tailgate. It still has a view through the swept portion of the screen though.

I fitted the reversing camera today.

I wasn't having much joy running along the roof as the cable kept getting stuck (tried from both the B pillar and the tailgate grommet).

I eventually found success by running from the tailgate grommet down the left hand side of the rear passenger window. There are a few large holes there that can aid routing, though I'd carpeted over them so had to cut a small hole which I can patch up later (assuming the vanshades blind doesn't cover it, which it probably will).

After that the cable goes under the rib and along the floor towards the cab, hidden by the furniture. I'll be coming up the driver side B pillar and then along the headliner, down to the rear view mirror (which is actually the camera screen). The cable isn't long enough but nothing some splicing can't sort.

I fitted the reversing camera today.

I wasn't having much joy running along the roof as the cable kept getting stuck (tried from both the B pillar and the tailgate grommet).

I eventually found success by running from the tailgate grommet down the left hand side of the rear passenger window. There are a few large holes there that can aid routing, though I'd carpeted over them so had to cut a small hole which I can patch up later (assuming the vanshades blind doesn't cover it, which it probably will).

After that the cable goes under the rib and along the floor towards the cab, hidden by the furniture. I'll be coming up the driver side B pillar and then along the headliner, down to the rear view mirror (which is actually the camera screen). The cable isn't long enough but nothing some splicing can't sort.
Which camera have you gone for ?

So an update.

I have now got the cable 3/4 of the way down the passenger side where the pop top wiring routes run.
Just got to get from the rear light position to the flexible duct on the tailgate that is todays job.

For info I ended up using 1.5mm lighting cable stripped to individual cables as a fish tape. The earth was too thin, but the plastic covered inner strands worked a treat.

I also removed the passenger seatbelt upper plastic trim and passenger grab handle to assist in getting the headliner down enough to get my hand in to help route the cable.

Hope that helps you all

Hi, directed here from separate thread.

Waiting on an auto electrician to see if they can think more laterally than I or the Halfords folk.

In meantime does anyone have any shouts for a rear facing wireless camera system?!

I’m inclined just to bite bullet and go that way if such devices exist?!

Bw

Chris

There are 100s of such devices on the usual Amazon/eBay etc, so they certainly exist. As well as transmitter/receiver pairs that can adapt "normal" coaxial feed cameras.

In most cases you'll still need to provide power, though some claim to have solar charging in number plate fittings - I'm sceptical as to how effective this can be.

If nothing else you can likely wire externally under the van, possibly through the grommets under the seats for the van harness, and mount a small camera under the bumper. I've had a cheap but not nasty camera there in the XC70 for several years and it works fine for reversing.

Thanks for reply.

I have looked this eve at routing options for dash and rear cam.

Wondered if abandoning floor plan on passenger side and looking at heading from b pillar plastic up through furniture on drivers side, to terminate (as someone else has mentioned) with camera on rear of last cupboard facing back obviates the issue around tailgate.

Would leave me with a two foot span to overcome. I like the carpeted aesthetic but by Jove it’s making this complex.

image.jpg

Presume going up into pop top space and along and down again is not a sensible route with the up/ down mechanics causing possible pinch points with wires.

The proposed Halfords solution before they bailed was passenger side step panel, through under rib bed up last (presume c pillar) into tailgate. But they balked at all of this carpet….image.jpg

You have a light there on drivers side. Similar to what I have on passenger side. I popped this down, and rodded through from B pillar.

Can you drop the upper cupboards off at all that way you may be able to run in the upper ceiling voids that the convertors use for wiring routes

Will investigate! Cupboards seem pretty solid in how they are secured. Was considering whether would need to drill a hole through whole way and lay wire at back of cupboards?!

Same lights on passenger side. Have pulled them down and there is indeed a space for wiring. So that leaves me with this last section to overcome. Any ideas how I would exit the wire from that void?

Pic on passenger side of any easier (forgive my photography skills, just trying to show the carpeted section has a void behind the plastic that I could use (this pic is b pillar).

So in essence. From central under dash for power.

Up around a pillar grounded near airbag. Tucked into around windscreen trim. To forward facing dash cam.

And then wire from forward facing cam, reversed route, Rodded past b pillar along either above sliding door lights to rear, or same on opposite but of course furniture.

So it’s only really the exit from carpeted void?!

I am not averse to sticking camera on rear section of ‘wardrobe’ if that is easier than trying to get into tailgate.

Views?C65A9988-1F0E-4386-92A6-242F12671251.jpeg079DE443-60A9-4D63-AD6B-A3A8FA23BD99.jpeg

C9413208-D94F-419C-AE7A-9FF159173E7C.jpeg

Back