Should have packed my Fluke...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
As title and not sure what's going on as no solar input but then again the sun hasn't actually shown up today but having driven 17 mile to Bude I would have expected a bit of a top up to show on the leisure battery shunt display.
Got the Roamer seatbase so 84% and 191Ah left but then there's 6 days still to go... I reckon we'll have to eat the carpets and upholstery uncooked at this rate. :thumbsdown: :geek:

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
As title and not sure what's going on as no solar input but then again the sun hasn't actually shown up today but having driven 17 mile to Bude I would have expected a bit of a top up to show on the leisure battery shunt display.
Got the Roamer seatbase so 84% and 191Ah left but then there's 6 days still to go... I reckon we'll have to eat the carpets and upholstery uncooked at this rate. :thumbsdown: :geek:
Firstly, you mean you don’t pack your fluke by default! :eek:

Secondly, do you usually cook your carpets and upholstery then? I’m sure they have shops down there now so maybe you could buy some softer linen to eat salad like?

I’m guessing if it’s not charging via solar or the starter then something common has failed. Are both handled by the same dc2dc charger?

I like your logic there and hadn't thought of starting on the curtains and pillowcases first.
I've got a Renogy DCC50S handling solar and alternator inputs with the stock VW 70A fuse on the alternator and a 30A glass tube type on the solar input, can't see either blowing really let alone both.
If it's the Renogy I should be able to tell from the app if I had installed it or knew how to read the data... I was a spark, I didn't say a clever spark! :unsure:

I like your logic there and hadn't thought of starting on the curtains and pillowcases first.
I've got a Renogy DCC50S handling solar and alternator inputs with the stock VW 70A fuse on the alternator and a 30A glass tube type on the solar input, can't see either blowing really let alone both.
If it's the Renogy I should be able to tell from the app if I had installed it or knew how to read the data... I was a spark, I didn't say a clever spark! :unsure:
I'm presuming you have the Roamer Bluetooth app? Is that not showing the Ah numbers ticking up slowly with the engine on idle? 0.01 at a time? Surely a Renogy user lurks in our midst? I'm only familiar with the Victron gear where it is very easy to disable the alternator charging regime without too much effort. What does the Roamer app show @Stay Frosty ? Does the battery tickle up a bit when the sky gets a bit brighter? Not sure if you meant you had no solar panel or just no sun!

Oh that'll be no sun, apparently yesterday was a cameo appearance laid on as part of the welcome ceremony.
I'll be honest I struggle with real time data events and far prefer the retroactive stench of burning to narrow down where the fault has occurred.
I've got a Renogy shunt and display on the Roamer so effectively a fuel guage for the battery that lights up whenever there's voltage in or out of the battery, this is showing only power leaving the battery when we have the dishwasher and tumble dryer going at the moment and nothing in from driving or the solar panels, oddly the shunt display did light up on the drive to and from Bude but that could easily be the fridge cutting in and out of operation.
Down to 184Ah now and literally only 54 hrs 17 minutes before the fridge stops working and the baked alaska melts.
A crash course in App awareness is due here I reckon.:eek:

Thanks chaps I'll try to get my head around these tonight but following the @oldiebut goodie heads up earlier today the weather is actually turning shitlier by the hour and I'll bail and head for home rather than sit here getting hoof rot.
Current state of play in our fuggy camper...
IMG20240429175408.jpg
IMG20240429175416.jpg
Look at that window :thumbsdown:

@Drive Wayne how do you get a screen grab of the app display as it's beyond me, anyway wife took a picture of the Roamer read out on my phone and I'm not sure if I've actually got a 5kWh battery instead, I thought it was a big bastid. :geek:
Screenshot_2024-04-29-18-51-43-90_4e80d547539d4d64a14c76be91497e44.jpg
Apps, screenshots, this has been a bit of a steep curve!
The shunt display says 79% 180Ah remaining. :thumbsup:

@Drive Wayne how do you get a screen grab of the app display as it's beyond me, anyway wife took a picture of the Roamer read out on my phone and I'm not sure if I've actually got a 5kWh battery instead, I thought it was a big bastid. :geek:
View attachment 238993
It is a big bugger, according to that pic you've got 414Ah left! Odd though at 100% charge, I would have thought you have the 460Ah battery? More than twice the size of my measley 200Ah! Well, 198Ah now, I've lost 1% after nearly 3 years, most upsetting... the shunt looks a bit/lot out!

View attachment 238993
414Ah would last a good 6 days though, unless, like my wife, you like to boil a full kettle of water at 2000 watts on the induction hob! Bless...

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
It is the 230Ah under seat battery and there's definitely something amiss but I'll probably leave looking at it until we're back home as it's raining horizontally here and home may well be sooner than Sunday as originally intended.:cautious:
We're booked to swap to a site in Brixham from Wednesday so I could whip the drivers seat out in the morning and poke about... what's the worst that can happen...:whistle:

It is the 230Ah under seat battery and there's definitely something amiss but I'll probably leave looking at it until we're back home as it's raining horizontally here and home may well be sooner than Sunday as originally intended.:cautious:
We're booked to swap to a site in Brixham from Wednesday so I could whip the drivers seat out in the morning and poke about... what's the worst that can happen...:whistle:
The folk at Roamer are worth a call, possibly a case of uninstalling the App you have and installing the 230Ah one again. I would give them a ring, fantastic company to deal with. Great over the phone, it feels like they genuinely care!

Ordered another Renogy DCC50S as this one appears to have karked.:cry:
Solar, alternator and ignition trigger all there but no lights for their inputs just the blue led for lithium and slow flashing red led.
Too thick to get the Renogy app installed let alone operate via the Bluetooth module but the Renogy shunt display just shows current going out and no input so new unit on its way.

Ordered another Renogy DCC50S as this one appears to have karked.:cry:
Solar, alternator and ignition trigger all there but no lights for their inputs just the blue led for lithium and slow flashing red led.
Too thick to get the Renogy app installed let alone operate via the Bluetooth module but the Renogy shunt display just shows current going out and no input so new unit on its way.
How long have you had it

It's been in use for about 18 months and worked seamlessly but must have decided the wages weren't good enough so withdrawn its labour.
Shame as there was no snap crackle or pop to indicate the state of play, I'll whip the cover off when I have the replacement and see if it's the dilithium crystal that's gone.:thumbsup:

Back