Single most useful thing

We are picking up our first camper on Saturday and are already shopping for all the stuff we need which made me wonder: what is the single most useful thing that you have bought to improve your camper or camping?
Electric blanket.
BUT!!! Accepted wisdom is, don’t buy anything but the bare essentials, and then only buy stuff as the need arises. Space is at a premium in a camper, don’t fill it with “stuff”

It really depends how you plan to use the van and what kit your van already has. Will you be on sites, stealth, winter, cooking, need extra sleeping space….etc. I’d say don’t rush into buying things until you have tried it out several times and see how you get on. You can get by with stuff from home to start with (bedding, cookware etc). As you’ll see space is at a premium so you don’t want to be lugging stuff around that you don’t use. All too often you will see expensive awnings etc for sale that have been used once!

For me main things have been good are window coverings that keep the light out (we sleep in the van), the fridge to keep beer and food cool (plus electrics that allow it to run for sufficient time), an awning for extra sleeping space when there is more than 2 of us (and we are on a site), a canopy when only 2 of us, comfortable but compact chairs, a BBQ to cook outside, the diesel heater for winter use. We use the van all year round from stealth camping, pub stopovers to sites with EHU and what we take and what is essential changes depending on the trip/weather. Enjoy the van!

Well all kinds of bits and pieces but I've camped a lot so I had most of that...

If I had to pick out a few things:

Firstly, warmth and comfort:
1/ diesel heater (as mentioned by @drinfinity ) - mine's an Eberspaecher - essential for year round campervanning, especially in Scotland...
2/ (EXTERNAL) windscreen covers - mine are Polar Technologies ones - again essential for year round campervanning in Scotland - and the external ones keep your glass warm inside the insulated 'envelope' so you don't get any condensation there!
3/ a simple tarp - I can use it to quickly extend my awning or put over the tailgate if I'm cooking back there...

Next a couple of mundane but useful items:
4/ a simple dustpan and brush for sweeping out the van
5/ some simple decorator's covers to protect the van if I'm using it for other stuff like taking garden waste to the tip: the ones I found are Arctic Hayes work mats from Screwfix and are really good and good value - they comes in various sizes

and finally:
6/ a recently purchased Cadac Safari Chef 30 BBQ/stove

Without a good night's sleep, you (or your partner) can easily fall out of love with a campervan, so anything that promotes sleep comfort would be my #1 priority - whatever it takes, be that a diesel heater, an electric blanket, a SIM, a mattress topper or a Duvalay.

We were in the same position a little while ago - took stuff that was a waste of time and took up valuable space.

Most usefull things were 1) external windscreen cover 2) mattress topper 3) sun canopy 4) collapsible kettle.

Waste of money and space - toilet tent (but we mostly park at sites with good facilities).

The few times that I’ve stayed on campsites I’ve observed that the blokes spend a good part of the day walking backwards and forwards with multiple tanks of stuff.
The women spend a good part of the day ironing, tensioning windbreaks and having deep and meaningful conversations with dogs.
Why I prefer lay-bys, car parks and minimal stuff.

Insulated poptop cover.

After insulated cups and teapot (which we have had for years for camping).

Electric blanket.
BUT!!! Accepted wisdom is, don’t buy anything but the bare essentials, and then only buy stuff as the need arises. Space is at a premium in a camper, don’t fill it with “stuff”
Second this wisdom - in a small van everything needs to have 2 uses as a rule of thumb :thumbsup:

The essential for me in a T6/6.1 is one of the rubber strips to seal the gap between the dashboard and the windscreen - unless you want to be driven crazy by the sight of out of reach parking tickets and the gentle rattle of biros.

The second essential would be one of Carista/OBD11/VCDS - you're going to need to read codes at some point in your ownership.

The Thetford 345. Fits nicely under the rear seat. Useful as much on days out as for overnighters. Couldn't live without it - but then we are of a certain age :whistle:
Yes forgot to say we have a Thetford - but we just don’t use the toilet tent - it is a real bonus for quick stop overs or days out (ours has to stays in the boot as too tall to go under the seat as was from our tent days).

So will add that as number 5)

Reactions: CAB
Back