Solar PWM & MPPT Controllers - How I Done It -

Will the PUK code work for both?
I’ve entered the one I can see and used the reset option so I am now connected to the SmartSolar controller.
But not the DC-DC box.

Right. Job done. Took the blessed thing off, need the hands of a small child ideally, and found the second PUK. Now the light is insufficient for the charger to be on so will do it tomorrow. Cheers Paul.

Lol....as above.

Default code is 000000

If the code has been changed at some point then you need to use the PUK code, which is unique and printed on the sticker on the unit.

Well done lads for getting him sorted.

thats looks ok. . .

i use 4mm PV cable for the extension cables to get the panels out in the sun. : https://amzn.to/3NWbFhx

i use SB50 Andersons for the 12v POWER SIDE, : https://amzn.to/44vziUu

i use MC4 solar connectors for the panel side, : https://amzn.to/3CVBrgq

i use awg8 silicone cable for the tails into the MPPT . . . : https://amzn.to/3pBxk6j

i use a fuse Anderson for the battery connection: https://amzn.to/44vziUu

this is how i set mine up . . .

+++++++++++++++++++

View attachment 204229

++++++++++++++++

here is a recent battery build i done. . . 4173Wh (330Ah) Lithium Battery Box -- How I Done It --

View attachment 204227View attachment 204228

++++++

++++++

So a year on and the MTTP is still in the box....

So I just need to get my Amazon basket filled with the goodies. But just a couple of questions...

Do I need to match the cable gauge for the pre made solar cables to the tails I need to create (12AWG)

And for the power side it's just a fused connector to the battery

Cheers

Matching the cable gauge is good practice.

And the battery cable needs to be fused at the battery end.

Cool thanks mate, better get ordering...
You never know we could have sun...
So if I want to future proof there wiring. If I was to end up updating my panel to a 200/300w should I go for a 6mm cable or is that not necessary?

So if I want to future proof there wiring. If I was to end up updating my panel to a 200/300w should I go for a 6mm cable or is that not necessary?
Somewhat depends on the panel, if the increase of power is in voltage the current won't rise.

If the cable is going in to hard to access places and you're happy with the price there's no harm in modestly over specifying the cable.

Matching the cable gauge is good practice.

And the battery cable needs to be fused at the battery end.
Cheers @Dellmassive absolute superstar sharing your knowledge. Just lost a couple of hours reading and watching your reviews on panels. Tempted to get a 200w to replace my old 120W

So the fused cable does go directly on the battery terminals.

And connect the panel up last out of direct sun light

So I finally have everything I think I need in my basket.

Am I OK to just loosen the leisure battery terminals and add the tails while connected to the MTTP. Is there a particular sequence that the connection needs to be done? I'm sure when I first looked at doing this I read that there was??

When you get your bits.

Post a few pics here and we'll have a look.

Looks good....

I love the Renogy panels, not had a problem with one yet.

Right the final bits turned up today, I need to get the seat off and have a proper measure up. But if I have to route the cables to the battery from under the passenger seat that should be OK.

PXL_20240627_171152517.MP.jpg

So this is how I think it should be connected.
It's the order I would like to confirm...
I was going to connect the battery tails first then connect to the fused tail and connect that to the battery.
Then connect the PV tails, once that is all done I'm OK to connect the PV extension and to the panel. Then I'm OK to just connect the panel??

Thanks to everyone's help in getting me this far.

Cheers

Right the final bits turned up today, I need to get the seat off and have a proper measure up. But if I have to route the cables to the battery from under the passenger seat that should be OK.

View attachment 248261

So this is how I think it should be connected.
It's the order I would like to confirm...
I was going to connect the battery tails first then connect to the fused tail and connect that to the battery.
Then connect the PV tails, once that is all done I'm OK to connect the PV extension and to the panel. Then I'm OK to just connect the panel??

Thanks to everyone's help in getting me this far.

Cheers
That's correct - if you check the instructions it says to connect the MPPT to the battery first so it can detect the voltage. You can also set all the settings via the app at that point. You can also wire in the PV cables without a panel connected, at the same time as the battery cables. Then connect to the panel - ideally cover the panel when you do connect it so there's no power going through it.

That's correct - if you check the instructions it says to connect the MPPT to the battery first so it can detect the voltage. You can also set all the settings via the app at that point. You can also wire in the PV cables without a panel connected, at the same time as the battery cables. Then connect to the panel - ideally cover the panel when you do connect it so there's no power going through it.
Brilliant, thanks @TallPaul_S for confirming that. Nice little job for tomorrow.
Still not sure about getting the Renogy 200w flexi panel or look for a more sturdy suitcase version. It will go up on the roof bars while we are stationary. Hard to judge without seeing it

Just been reading all the various settings on the Victron website... Mind blowing!
Please tell me most people use the pre defined rotary switch??

Back