(Solved) Van won't start after work on the wiring under the passenger seat.

Is there anything connected to the brake pedal to stop it from starting? Brake lights work.

Might have to check the fuses under the battery again.

Fuse 2 under the battery provides power to the fusebox in the van. Check you have power at that fusebox and then check all those fuses in case one of them blew.

Fuse 2 under the battery provides power to the fusebox in the van. Check you have power at that fusebox and then check all those fuses in case one of them blew.
It was fuse 3 that had blown, I amended my reply above after realising.

Did you pull any fuses in the box under the gear stick? Removed a piggyback fuse? Possibly one put back in the wrong place?

There are also some relays sort of behind the light switch, could you have disturbed any of those when removing the trim?

Did you pull any fuses in the box under the gear stick? Removed a piggyback fuse? Possibly one put back in the wrong place?
No, I just checked the fuses associated with starting and then the rest just in case, I only removed the ones I couldn't probe.

To blow a 100A fuse it must have been a significant short / load.

To blow a 100A fuse it must have been a significant short / load.
It could have been blown for a long time. Common problem on split charge using a VSR. Leisure battery pan flat, start the van and you get full alternator output straight to the leisure battery which usually blows the fuse. Happened to me on my old van.

It could have been blown for a long time. Common problem on split charge using a VSR. Leisure battery pan flat, start the van and you get full alternator output straight to the leisure battery which usually blows the fuse. Happened to me on my old van.
This could make sense as when we bought the van back from Wales to Cornwall the battery under the passenger seat got so hot it vented and I had to disconnect the red wire going to it.
The 80A fuse near it had got so hot it's plastic had melted but the fuse hadn't blown.
The next day I removed the RAC wiring from the van and connected everything back up and it seemed fine, the van started OK.

I removed the 2nd battery yesterday and some of the wiring that goes with it, it is possible that I blew the fuse under the main battery whilst I was doing this as it was all live whilst I tested it.

What should the voltage be on the main battery if the ignition is off and does it change when the ignition goes on without starting?

Back