T6.1 diesel heater install

I am thinking I will use a fuel connecter on the sender unit as I did on my Crafter rather than cut and tee any fuel lines.

Can I get away without lowering the whole tank and if so how much do I have undo to sufficiently lower the back of the tank?

I lowered mine about this much. I hired a ramp which had an integral jack, so it was very easy to raise and lower the tank at the flick of a switch ( previously on my T5 I did it at the kerbside with the T5 jack and some wood!).

I took the moulded surround off the filler cap and adblue cap, but I didn’t have to drop the pipes down at all, everything stayed connected.

E096F35B-88A2-46D4-A7BB-649C6D02EA5A.jpeg

380C0F24-E169-4DDB-B2DA-58BD458AC03F.jpeg

65EB3CF9-E08A-4C92-9BF0-27AA15225B5E.jpeg

So like I said I planned to use the spare stub on my sender, 2023 T6.1, like I did on my Crafter but having lowered the back of the tank I found it is being used for the feed to the Aux heater. Shame because I bought the connecter and was ready for a quick fix!

OK so I looked for the heater pump and its all hidden above the heater and the ad-blue tank so that's a no go.

So in the end I am going to have to get the sender out and put the stand pipe into it. I wonder if I can get the sender out without actually dropping the tank and emptying my add blue into a bucket?

Exactly - this appears to be a godsend, well for those with a T6.1 at least. Especially as it has been discovered that the return line fixing is a no-go due to the non-return valve.

It was a nice thought while it lasted:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It has already been said numerous times to tee into the coolant heater's fuel line if you have one, no need to drop the tank. One cut with a sharp blade, insert tee, nothing simpler.

It has already been said numerous times to tee into the coolant heater's fuel line if you have one, no need to drop the tank. One cut with a sharp blade, insert tee, nothing simpler.
Problem is that the coolant / aux heater pump and fuel line is hidden above the heater and the tanks and seriously not get atable without dropping something.

However lying on the floor staring at it and contemplating my options I realised there is an inline connector in the aux heater line at the back of the tank that is completely accessible with the tank in place. So problem solved and just ordered a quick connect Tee on eBay.

IMG_6547.jpeg Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 13.09.46.png

Further info looking at the T6.1 pump and Paul's pics below. ( I hadn't seen this pump before )
No need for a stand pipe now.

Cut off the nipple from the top and the hole should be there.

One of these 8mm Car Black Fuel Line Hose Coupler Quick Release Connect Connector | eBay like the rest of the fuel connectors. VW must have cottoned on to the fact that they are needed!

You most probably will need to reduce the size down to 4mm from 8mm with a reducer like this Inline Straight Pipe / Hose Reducer Joining Connector Plastic MULTIPLE SIZES | eBay

Wish that I had known about this before then I could have got those bits together with the kit.

This will save people having to remove the pump unit on T6.1 s in future.

View attachment 180122
View attachment 180123

Does anyone know if all T6.1 come with this nipple on the sender unit, I have been told it is a £600 option? I could do without dropping the fuel tank to check.

Thanks

My 21 T6.1 Startline had the nipple but with my damaged shoulders ( Both rotator cuff repairs ) I found it awkward so I just dropped the tank.

John

The nipple isn’t an option, my 2022 highline had it.

For the sake of £3 buy a connector ready anyway with the tank pipe.

My 21 T6.1 Startline had the nipple but with my damaged shoulders ( Both rotator cuff repairs ) I found it awkward so I just dropped the tank.

John
Sorry I wasnt clear enough. I actually. was wondering if all the 6.1 sender units have the tube connected to the underside of the nipple. Knowing my luck I will cut the nipple off and the tube wont be there and I have hole in the sender unit.

About the return valve, I watched this video

In the comments the Eber people seem to say you can use the retrun fuel line?

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 10.55.27.png

I think I am now confusing myself.

Also considering a Chinese heater (sorry @oldiebut goodie) due to the price but also they have a key fob so I can switch the heater on from inside the house. Shame the big 2 can't be bothered to give a fob to do this.

The Eberspacher people are wrong - it has been proved that there is a non-return valve in the return side in the van pump. All that they are doing is using the fuel from the engine side and with extended use this will be exhausted as has been proved previously.
I use a remote for my Webasto:
Untitled 666.jpg

The Eberspacher people are wrong - it has been proved that there is a non-return valve in the return side in the van pump. All that they are doing is using the fuel from the engine side and with extended use this will be exhausted as has been proved previously.
I use a remote for my Webasto:
View attachment 191647
thanks i havnt seen that. Do you have a link pls? Does it work with latest heaters?

Back