T6.1 glove box / lower dash removal

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Starting to do the leisure electrics and first step was ru run the wire from the starter battery into the cab.

However the dash and glove box disassembly looks quite different.

Anyone found a gude anywhere or got any tips?

FOr example in the pic below it seems that the trim that has the airbag switch is screwed to the dash (where the trim tool is pointing.)

However I cant work out how to get to it.
7D8EEC2D-6518-4AC0-88BF-1D8F22CE1FE4_1_105_c.jpeg

I've had mine in bits, it a 20 plate T6.1.

That panel is clips only, are you sure the screw you are looking at isn't for something else?

1616192459164.png1616192561854.png
The difficult bits I remember are;
  1. To take the radio out, you have to remove the clock surround, and the radio surround, it's an absolute nightmare, I swear they designed the clips to release about 0.1 seconds before the trim snaps in half.
  2. To take off the panel where the headlight switch is, there's the screws you can see, plus a hidden one, behind the switch itself. You need to unclip the switch barrel and slide it out, to access this screw.
  3. The carpet - I faffed about trying to run cables under it, then in the end I just took the whole thing out, I should have done that first
If you unplug the airbag switch, DON'T turn on the ignition, or you'll need a laptop to reset the fault.

Another tip, buy something like this;

I've had mine in bits, it a 20 plate T6.1.

That panel is clips only, are you sure the screw you are looking at isn't for something else?

View attachment 109042View attachment 109043
The difficult bits I remember are;
  1. To take the radio out, you have to remove the clock surround, and the radio surround, it's an absolute nightmare, I swear they designed the clips to release about 0.1 seconds before the trim snaps in half.
  2. To take off the panel where the headlight switch is, there's the screws you can see, plus a hidden one, behind the switch itself. You need to unclip the switch barrel and slide it out, to access this screw.
  3. The carpet - I faffed about trying to run cables under it, then in the end I just took the whole thing out, I should have done that first
If you unplug the airbag switch, DON'T turn on the ignition, or you'll need a laptop to reset the fault.

Another tip, buy something like this;

Thats really helpful, thanks.
Yes, Im not looking forward to taking the radio out, I watched a video on you tube.
I was going to try to do it without removing the cab floor, but looks like i Will have to remove it. Damn.

Any tips on the glove box, I've removed the 3 screws at the bottom, but in the T6 there were 4 at the top. These are not there on the 6.1, is it just a case of pulling.

I have some trim tools already but that looks a good set.

I was going to try to do it without removing the cab floor, but looks like i Will have to remove it. Damn.

Any tips on the glove box, I've removed the 3 screws at the bottom, but in the T6 there were 4 at the top. These are not there on the 6.1, is it just a case of pulling.
You'll have the floor out in half an hour, and save endless faffing if you've cables to get down the middle, plus the peace of mind from knowing they're safe from damage is worth it. Just plan well, so you only need do it once.

Glovebox, my memory is hazy, but I thought there were more screws, I thought I had to remove the trim above the box. And I don't remember any serous pulling once the screws were out. I think its kind of on hinges/hooks. I'll have a look today to remind me.

When I did all this there were precisely zero you tube vids.

You'll have the floor out in half an hour, and save endless faffing if you've cables to get down the middle, plus the peace of mind from knowing they're safe from damage is worth it. Just plan well, so you only need do it once.

Glovebox, my memory is hazy, but I thought there were more screws, I thought I had to remove the trim above the box. And I don't remember any serous pulling once the screws were out. I think its kind of on hinges/hooks. I'll have a look today to remind me.

When I did all this there were precisely zero you tube vids.
There is only 1 video I can find and thats the head unit removal.

Thats really helpful, thanks.
Yes, Im not looking forward to taking the radio out, I watched a video on you tube.

I have some trim tools already but that looks a good set.
Removing the radio is a pain but not that bad, you’ve got to remove the trim around the speedo but not completely remove just rest it behind the steering wheel. Then remove the trim around the radio which gives you access to the radio, I used some removal keys to get the radio out with ease but you can use a screwdriver and I think it only took 10 mins.
I did have the video from YouTube to refer to which always helps, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Back