T6.1 new order delays

All this talk is why I've just bought a t6 while I wait
I did that...

I bought a T6.1 as a stop gap 16months ago....will probably end up keeping both as by the time the ordered one arrives we'll have 7kids and need nine seats in both cars..

Well. after waiting 1 year, 9 months and 14 days, it seems that VW have finally managed to scrape the necessary components together and my LWB 204PS 4Motion DSG Highline in Pure Grey has finally rolled off of the Hanover production line as a completed panel van. :think smile bounce:

I checked with the converter today who said the order is now showing as being Status 30 (awaiting shipping). Looking at the KLine shipping schedule (http://www.kess.kline.de/data/files/105/HHSchedule.pdf) I'm hoping it'll be on the Danube Highway leaving Emden on 12th April and will arrive in the UK on the 13th. Hopefully, the converter will be able to get it finished for mid June... a whole 2 years after it was ordered! :oops:

Last edited:
@Jimmylondon07
Can you give me some idea of the vehicle spec?

My order’s non-transferable unfortunately mate.

Still likely to cancel it but am just looking in to the idea of getting it converted to an after-market Kombi. End goal would be a 2+1 bench seat in the back, two side and a tailgate window, insulated/carpet lined and possibly a leisure battery to power some LED lights and a camping fridge. Would add a poptop and an Ovano Switch XL later. Any idea what that kind of initial conversion might cost?

Little update, been told no new spec changes at all with the stop sale on them so I guess that’s me cancelling.
Have you considered proceeding with the order and then selling it on?

Yeah thought about it as an option for sure, it’s a T30 camper spec with some nice extras and a 150 DSG so it’ll be desirable to someone I’m sure. Thing is I’m ‘only’ on the hook for a £300 deposit at the moment as I am buying it cash. Bit wary of losing more than that if there are announcements about the new version, diesel engines etc. in the meantime...have never been much of a gambler :)

Also haven’t ruled out doing a Kombi conversion on it myself yet.

Reactions: Bav
Yeah thought about it as an option for sure, it’s a T30 camper spec with some nice extras and a 150 DSG so it’ll be desirable to someone I’m sure. Thing is I’m ‘only’ on the hook for a £300 deposit at the moment as I am buying it cash. Bit wary of losing more than that if there are announcements about the new version, diesel engines etc. in the meantime...have never been much of a gambler :)

Certainly would be an ideal base van for a full conversion and given that the T6.1 order book has now closed, a late model with zero lead-time would command a premium IMO. But, hey, it's not my money, so not my choice to make. :thumbsup:

I‘m not much of a gambler either but I think it’s odds on that the new Transporter T8 / Transit Custom launch pricing will be higher than their current list prices. I suspect that post launch demand for the new Transporter will be high because of the priority given to large fleet orders meaning extended delivery times for everyone else once again. That said, I have more faith in Ford’s ability to ramp up production in Turkey to deal with back orders, in contrast to VW in Germany.

With Ford taking the lead on the development and production of the new Transporter, I believe there will continue to be a strong demand for the outgoing Hanover-built T6.1 model for the next couple of years. This seems to be borne out by the eye-wateringly high prices these are now attracting. I’m just glad my last of the line T6.1 LWB 4Motion has finally been built and is on its way to the UK.

Thanks for the input and certainly food for thought. The current list price for my spec according to the configurator is £48,525, I am paying £5.6k less than that which feels like a healthy margin for any valuation drop. Does anyone actually pay near List though?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and certainly food for thought. The current list price for my spec according to the configurator is £48,525, I am paying £5.6k less than that which feels like a healthy margin for any valuation drop. Does anyone actually pay near List though?
What do you mean camper spec. I've got a lwb dsg coming from vanarama in may apparently.
I'm like you. In 2 minds about the diesel issue and am a bit concerned how long euro 6 will stay ulez compliant.
I think a lot of people will be out off of the new one that will involve ford. Due to badge snobbery. So ours could still be a good buy

They’ve also offered me a switch to some
What do you mean camper spec. I've got a lwb dsg coming from vanarama in may apparently.
I'm like you. In 2 minds about the diesel issue and am a bit concerned how long euro 6 will stay ulez compliant.
I think a lot of people will be out off of the new one that will involve ford. Due to badge snobbery. So ours could still be a good buy

Camper spec mainly on the extras mate, things like 80l fuel tank, swivel seats, power latching doors and tailgate, no bulkhead, tow bar prep, LED headlights…the kind of stuff converters go for.

Difficult one isn’t it? Especially if it’s your intention (like mine) to keep hold of it for the long term. Out of interest when did you order it?

I share your concerns and, like you, feel that once it becomes widely known that the next VW Transporter is coming out of a Ford factory in Turkey some of the premium associations with the current VW Transporter product, particularly for campervan conversions will evaporate.

Given this and having been to various Campervan and Motorhome shows and seen no sign of any viable hybrid or EV campervan being available until 20204/2025 at the earliest, I too think it's a sensible purchase.

Reactions: Bav
I would agree with that but also think a year or two isn’t that long when you’re intending to buy the vehicle to last for years. I am just continuing to stew on it for now lol

I share your concerns and, like you, feel that once it becomes widely known that the next VW Transporter is coming out of a Ford factory in Turkey some of the premium associations with the current VW Transporter product, particularly for campervan conversions will evaporate.

Given this and having been to various Campervan and Motorhome shows and seen no sign of any viable hybrid or EV campervan being available until 20204/2025 at the earliest, I too think it's a sensible purchase.
VW Transporter + Ford = an abomination.... just sayin'

They’ve also offered me a switch to some

Camper spec mainly on the extras mate, things like 80l fuel tank, swivel seats, power latching doors and tailgate, no bulkhead, tow bar prep, LED headlights…the kind of stuff converters go for.

Difficult one isn’t it? Especially if it’s your intention (like mine) to keep hold of it for the long term. Out of interest when did you order it?
I ordered mine April 2022.
I've bought myself a euro 6 ex rac van for the time being. If I get messed about or get cold feet Illnkeeo that

I would agree with that but also think a year or two isn’t that long when you’re intending to buy the vehicle to last for years. I am just continuing to stew on it for now lol
Given the continuing long lead times across the whole motor industry, which will no doubt feed into more extended lead times for the planned new models, along with the continuing lack of progress in implementing adequate infrastructure for EV charging and servicing, I'm confident I'll get at least 10 years out of my new campervan.

Last edited:

Little update, been talking to the dealer and they had a SWB Kombi on order that was going in to their stock so I’m going to take that one instead. It’s not totally ideal, it’s a T32 so will need to get the suspension looked at, it doesn’t have LED lights so I’ll need to pay a visit to THQ and it has a heated bench-seat in the front where I’d have preferred two captain seats. But overall I think it should still save me a fair bit over getting the LWB panel van converted to a kombi.

Hi all, sorry to hi-jack a long running post but I have been absent for a while after selling our T6 Cali. Ordered a Kombi in July 2021 and it arrived last week. I drove it home from the dealers 230 miles and parked it on the drive which is where it has remained.
The issue is I was made redundant at the end of February and have been looking for a job but have not had any luck, My car allowance was going to pay the monthly payments but no job means I cant justify keeping it.
Its a T30 SWB 204 DSG Kombi Highline in pure grey with loads of extras, I speced it for converting into a day van to pull our caravan, so we could have the best of both, but would also make a great camper.
Just thought I would put it out there.
I'm going to upgrade to VIP membership and write out a full spec then post up soon.
Gutted really after waiting all this time, and missing out on two years of payments due to the delays, but in this messed up world there's always someone worse off me thinks.

If anyone's interested watch out for the advert in the for sale section as soon as I manage to upgrade and write out the advert.
ATB.

Back