Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Or Atera STRADA DL 3 - bike rack

This is the best I can do for a side angle shot, but not sure it’s much use.

I totally agree on bike damage in transport. This summer I will have the same joy; in previous years I’ve carried the good bikes in the back of the van but probably won’t have that option this year.

IMG_3913.jpeg

This is the best I can do for a side angle shot, but not sure it’s much use.

I totally agree on bike damage in transport. This summer I will have the same joy; in previous years I’ve carried the good bikes in the back of the van but probably won’t have that option this year.

View attachment 241440
thanks for this - it might just pass.. i need to measure! i have a friend with a cali and this rack and another with the epos so im going to try to fit it all together.. the other option is an epos when we're 3 and a trailer when 4..

If you're talking about a tailgate and two bikes (I know nowt about barn doors!), Thule Easyfold XT2 is your answer BUT you've got to modify it to be able to open the tailgate. Search my posts as I've written about this mod a couple with pictures.

Last edited:
If you're talking about a tailgate (I know nowt about barn doors!), Thule Easyfold XT3 is your answer BUT you've got to modify it to be able to open the tailgate. Search my posts as I've written about this mod a couple with pictures.

Its a tailgate indeed, ill go search your 2100 posts ha-ha. Ill report back if i have found them.

I've just realised that we're talking three bikes here and mine is a two bike XT2 (I've corrected my post above). I suspect they're the same construction but would worry that the extra length might mean that when if folds, the end of the rack or the outer bike handlebars might touch the ground before there was enough room for the tailgate to open. It would also depend on the height of the tow ball and its distance from the bumper. I've got a Werstfalia Removable if it helps,

I've just realised that we're talking three bikes here and mine is a two bike XT2 (I've corrected my post above). I suspect they're the same construction but would worry that the extra length might mean that when if folds, the end of the rack or the outer bike handlebars might touch the ground before there was enough room for the tailgate to open. It would also depend on the height of the tow ball and its distance from the bumper. I've got a Werstfalia Removable if it helps,
I had the slight feeling we mixed up the 2-3 bike version. No worries your info is golden.

After reading this and other threads I purchased a Thule Easyfold XT2 for my tailgate fitted T6 with a Tow Trust removable towbar. The tailgate wouldn't open past the clamp. Returned XT2 to Halfords and have just fitted Atera Genio Pro which works a treat. Not all towbars are created equal!

After reading this and other threads I purchased a Thule Easyfold XT2 for my tailgate fitted T6 with a Tow Trust removable towbar. The tailgate wouldn't open past the clamp. Returned XT2 to Halfords and have just fitted Atera Genio Pro which works a treat. Not all towbars are created equal!
I have the same Pete! Works very well!!

What do you think about the clamps? I think they've could have done better ...both the rattles to tighten them and the mechanism which is clamping on to the frame.

All in all a bit heavy, but works very well on a T6, and possibility to carry 3 bikes in total of 65kg is pretty nice.

I personally like the Uebler better by design, due to the weight and how the clamps work but it does not give the features i need for 3 bikes.

I have the same Pete! Works very well!!

What do you think about the clamps? I think they've could have done better ...both the rattles to tighten them and the mechanism which is clamping on to the frame.

All in all a bit heavy, but works very well on a T6, and possibility to carry 3 bikes in total of 65kg is pretty nice.

I personally like the Uebler better by design, due to the weight and how the clamps work but it does not give the features i need for 3 bikes.
The clamps are the one think I think could be better - they are difficult to do up and even more tricky to undo - not nearly as easy to use as the Thule versions. Time will tell if they get easier to use, with frequent usage. The clamps to the frame were a real struggle to undo to reposition, but once removed for the first time it was much easier. Looking forward to to first use in anger. I now have a tailgate bike rack to sell!

The clamps are the one think I think could be better - they are difficult to do up and even more tricky to undo - not nearly as easy to use as the Thule versions. Time will tell if they get easier to use, with frequent usage. The clamps to the frame were a real struggle to undo to reposition, but once removed for the first time it was much easier. Looking forward to to first use in anger. I now have a tailgate bike rack to sell!
Yeah it's a pitty, Thule and Uebler indeed have a better system, i think i will provide them with feedback if it doesnt get better.

We are currently in Sweden and the rack is holding up great, easily clears the tailgate and ebikes are hanging on just fine :)

Hi @czmate1999

Did you figure this out in the meanwhile? Or someone else?

I am looking for a rack that fits the T6 LWB and is foldable...
Hi mate,

The xt3 works a treat and can open with 2 or 3 bikes. The xt3 has a method of adjustment to help with this if needed.

Sorry haven’t been online much recently so only just seen the post. If you need any further info from me PM me.

Best,

CZ.

I settled on the Thule XT3 which i purchased from Halfords for £485.

It arrived almost fully assembled with only the upright bar needing to be added.

View attachment 72558 View attachment 72559 View attachment 72561

Installed the XT3 and the tailgate would not open... not a problem though...

View attachment 72562

You are able to adjust the XT3s opening position, see above pic, just move the bolt to the next opening position (on both sides :) )

View attachment 72563 View attachment 72564

Looking at it and how it opens you may have to adjust the handle bars on your bike, but as i haven't used it yet i cannot say for sure.

Overall, I am initially impressed with the build quality and ease of installation.

Hope this helps you if you are looking at the XT3.

CZ.

What, no way!!

I have been struggling with this since I got the Van and had no idea you could adjust it! One to check the next time I use it.

Thanks!

Back