Is it the switched AUX live for things like caravan fridge? There is usually a secondary wiring kit to install this.

Thanks for the replies. So do I need this for the Towbar? I have 3 connections to the main battery via 15a fuses….or can I just coil it up and insulate?

Permanent positive and switched positive to the higher numbered pins are optional, if you are not caravanning then they serve little purpose unless you are looking to do something creative round the back like power kit or reverse charge the van through the socket

If your not sure just buzz them through to the rear socket and confirm they are pins 10 and 12 if so they are not required unless you desire to have them

I bought the Westfalia additional wiring kit for this but didn’t use it - its basically some wires and a relay as the AUX power is ignition switched. FYI the kit reference is 300 028 300 113.

Step 35 to 43 in the pictoral instructions. You have to unplug the two big bunches of wires going into the BCM, find/extricate some connectors / wires and insert connectors from the tow loom and reconnect the original connectors into plugs on the tow loom. All underneath the steering column!

The pictures don’t do it justice - very over simplified. Just take your time.

Just dug out my instructions and on the last page you’ll find ref to plug 3. Its pin 10 & 11 (not 12 as stated above)

View attachment 250916
Thank you for this information
Step 35 to 43 in the pictoral instructions. You have to unplug the two big bunches of wires going into the BCM, find/extricate some connectors / wires and insert connectors from the tow loom and reconnect the original connectors into plugs on the tow loom. All underneath the steering column!

The pictures don’t do it justice - very over simplified. Just take your time.
ah yes, I have done that, absolute nightmare, like you said, right up underneath, to the point I struggled getting the cloth cable tie off one of the looms and managed to cut through 4 wires!! Then even more problems trying to get a crisper in there then to in line crimp them again! The guide said 3 hours for all the wiring. They are having a laugh

Just dug out my instructions and on the last page you’ll find ref to plug 3. Its pin 10 & 11 (not 12 as stated above)

View attachment 250916
pin 10 is an ignition controlled live intended for running a caravan fridge when the vehicle is running. Even when connected, it has to be activated via VCDS or similar software (or at least mine did) I use pin 10 for charging a second battery in my boat trailer.

Hi everyone and hope you can help me out my 2017 Caravelle has a Westfalia removable tow bar fitted by VW when i bought it second hand (the van that is). I have had no issues with the tow bar until last time i took the caravan out and the cable on the caravan managed to drag on the floor for many miles and ripped the cable apart. I have now replaced the cable on the caravan and when connected to caravelle all the lights are working fine on the caravan and the car recognises i have a trailer attached but i dont have any power coming to pins 9 and 10 (Permanent live and Fridge live). I have feeling that the fuse for this have blown. I have been looking at all the articles and aware of the fuse under the passage seat which i have check and are all okay but i only have 2 15 amp fuses and from what i can understand i should have at least 3 fuse and possible 4 ? So it looks like they have hidden some of the other fuses in another location. Does anyone have any ideas where they might be?

Meant to be going away on holiday this friday with the caravan and trying to fix this before i go, so any help much appreciated.

Pete

If they used a genuine westfalia wiring kit to go with the westfalia towbar then there should be a minimum of 3 fuses for base lighting functions
Hard for them to be anywhere other than under seats as the loom is pre made and pre terminated to go there, if your not sure post some pics of what you have or can see and someone may be able to advise

Sure thing will get some pictures in the morning. As far as I am aware they used genuine wiring kit. But as you say it does not seem to make sense at the moment.

Please see below pictures, although having taken these in the light i have a feeling that the bellow 2 15 amp fuses might have nothing to do with the tow bar at all. reason bing that is. In the thrid picture below showing the cables comming through the floor i have marked what i think is the tow bar cable and it runs off under the carpet towards the drivers side of the car and does not seem to come out under the seat at all to the fuse box in the below picture?
IMG_0217 (1).jpegIMG_0216 (1).jpeg
IMG_0215 (1).jpeg
IMG_0214 (1).jpeg

Perhaps they deviated from standard and left something/fuses under the drivers seat ?

So I looked under the driver seat and the cable doe not seem to appear under their. going to see if i can trace it some how without actually having to lift the carpet. Though really frustrating.

IMG_0218.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps it’s not a genuine Westfalia wiring kit ?
Check under the bonnet next to the battery and see if the towbar module is there ?

Back