What else can can I expect to break?

My apologies, my phone froze as i was posting and its obviously fudged my post somehow. So first of all, let me tell you my experience since owning my t6 for 10k miles:

- Sept 2023 - purchase 18 plate 102ps t6 46,000 miles van from main dealer with aftermarket rac warranty

- Dec 23 - eml on, egr fault, flushed system at my cost as it wasn't covered due to carbon build up £800 - 48500 miles

- Feb 24 - eml on again, egr fault again, advised flush again, I advised them to replace, replaced £1300 - 50500 miles

- April 24 - oil change, found leak from front main oil seal, not covered by warranty, replaced with cam belt, £1100 - 52000

- May 24 - Ad blue error, doesn't register being topped up, software update, not covered, £130 - 53000

- June 24 - Loud squeek from belt area, aux belt tensioner faulty, not covered by warranty, £220 - 54500

Sept 24 - wheel bearing noise from osf, wheel bearing replaced, not covered, £350 56000

This van has been the most nightmarish vehicle I have ever owned. Almost every month there is a problem. I do mainly motorway miles / long journeys and use my 1.5 petrol golf for shorter stuff.

I have owned BMWs, mercs, skodas and vw cars before but never have I had anything as bad as this vehicle or anything as costly. The headlights on these are also the worst I have ever experienced, even my old 06 skoda fabia was better than this.

This is my first and last vw transporter that I will ever own, I will keep it for another year and trade it in as I can no longer stand to look at it or deal with the incompetent main dealers. I cannot understand the hype and why people keep returning to the brand as they clearly don't give two hoots about customer satisfaction.

Anyways, what else do these vans suffer from that I have not mentioned already so that I can prepare myself for the next 12 months as I expect something catastrophic will most likely rear it's head in the future. Are the oil pump belts prone to failure as theyre a wet belt?

All common items for a T6.

Apart from the wheel bearing, that's not so common.

. Seems a shame that you have had to sort them all out.

The previous owner probably got shot of the van as soon as they got a wiff of having to spend any cash on anything.

Seems you have had the most coming items addressed .

You'd hope so, but is it common to need these things doing at such low mileage??

I understand wear and tear on diesels but to have all this before even hitting 60,000 miles seems ridiculous. It wasn't until hitting closer to 100,000 miles that I needed to spend serious money like this on previous vehicles.

Just unlucky by the sounds of it I’m on my 6th in a row vw and no troubles which is why I stick with them don’t get me wrong there exspensive when they go wrong but touch wood not to often

2018 plate T6, 60k.

Yep is say you're in the ballpark for all the above.

Take a look over here for me mechanical journey

2016 plate T6, 94k - same here - replaced the EGR, drive shafts/stub shafts (that is more likely ex RAC related!), drivers door control unit (again prob RAC related), the alternator, aux tensioner, front main oil seal.... and an expensive air con pipe that got trapped and chaffed which annoyingly probably happened when the other jobs were done! I did expect some issues given the age, mileage and use TBF, but perhaps not this much! I also had an RAC warranty that covered some of this and I paid the extra on top for genuine parts. It has been expensive and frustrating but I am still very happy to have it!

I’m currently sat in pub garden with a mate of a mate and he’s got a T5 he’s had 11 years and paid £12,000 for at the time and he’s spent £15,000 to date on it 3 new gearbox’s amongst other things and swears he won’t get rid of it until it dies currently on 230,000 miles
Swears he loves it and it’s part of the family

So I have a 147k miles t5.1 2014 Caravelle and I have the full service history and receipts from the previous owner and it has nothing outside the normal service items.

Since I have had it (18m) 12k miles I got a list from my garage to work through.

New VW crate engine and turbo's - after all it is a 180 BiTDI (inc EGR, injectors etc) and DM Flywheel done at the same time; obv all associated fluids
NewDPF
Strut top mounts
Front and rear shocks
Disc and pads all round
Rebuilt rear calipers and full bleed
Front wishbone and ARB bushes
Various door rollers
New battery

Exhaust will need doing at somepoint

Other than filters and oil, its had a transmission and autobox service

This is a bit of an experiment owning something older and doing as much as possible myself. I will let you know how is working out in a few years. So far so good and just back from Corfu over three weeks and 3500 miles

The DMF in my 102hp went at 32k - amazed you dodged that bullet. Maybe it’s already been done. Factory shocks hadn’t failed but felt as if they had, and then been replaced with steel rods, so that was another spend I deemed necessary early on. Cam belt and pump - but you’ve done that.
Otherwise my 102 seems to have had less mechanical issues than most peoples 204s, which is something.
Still shocking for a commercial vehicle (should be able to do high miles, reliably, including multi-drop routes) while keeping the driver safe and comfortable. Epic fail from any brand, let alone a more premium one.
Thankfully people love the badge, the lifestyle etc and maybe don’t look at forums before buying so at least they have resale going for them.

A lot of the problems seem to appear when the vans are treated as a second vehicle and instead of being thrashed everywhere are pampered and driven gently whereupon they die of clogged arteries.
I've just had my EGR flushed a second time and now drive the beast at 3,000 rpm in second gear everywhere to keep the 5hit flying through the EGR and DPF at 30,000 mph hopefully without sticking to anything.:thumbsup::geek:

A lot of the problems seem to appear when the vans are treated as a second vehicle and instead of being thrashed everywhere are pampered and driven gently whereupon they die of clogged arteries.
I've just had my EGR flushed a second time and now drive the beast at 3,000 rpm in second gear everywhere to keep the 5hit flying through the EGR and DPF at 30,000 mph hopefully without sticking to anything.:thumbsup::geek:
With an (mostly) unladen weight of 2.25t my little 102bhp has no choice but to work pretty hard. A 204 won’t struggle at all and could be driven at low revs everywhere. Thankfully being 2014 model it doesn’t have the adblue nonsense (who came up with the idea of squirting water and piss into the exhaust to solve all our problems?) although has a DPF - which has never been an issue. I would estimate 90% of its travels are long journeys which, as you say, helps.
But an old diesel mechanic turned farm hand once told me the same thing as you just said - treat your diesel engine harshly (as in thrash it) and it’ll be fine.

The DMF in my 102hp went at 32k - amazed you dodged that bullet.
Well, it's still got 12 months for it to bite me in the arse. Do they rattle / judder before they go or do they just obliterate themselves randomly?

I've got to say I'm surprised people seem happy to accept the amount of problems these things have. I don't have an issue spending money on my vehicles, have always changed the oil before the interval, done preventative maintenance, used premium tyres and oem parts.

I just can't be doing with the hassle of booking it in and getting these things sorted on a regular basis anymore. You guys certainly must love these things to keep ploughing this sort of money into them.

It is a VW Transporter forum so you're going to get members with a common interest, the upside is you can get technical and anecdotal experience from fellow owners too.

But then look at the majority of owners who have little or no problems but stay silent because they have nothing to complain about and don't need help. One swallow does not make a spring.
I hear your point but the same can be said of the owners that also have problems and don’t post on a forum about it. They’re both unquantifiable.
What is quantifiable is the failures we do see, the age and mileage of the affected vehicles and the price they cost new… it’s then a question of is this acceptable? And people will have different Jews on that, which is OK.

Back