What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Perhaps a OTT, but I changed the oil and filter after 5 months and approx 2k miles as we are going abroad in a few weeks. Fuel filter will be also done.

Like @t6blo, fitted the Kiravans RIB single passenger swivel (offset version). I was left at home to do DIY indoors whilst the wife and children spent day at outdoor swimming pool, so I sneaked this one in to get outside for a bit. Fortunately didn't't take too long, and went OK. All the YouTube install videos showed all the rear seats taken out, and I was hoping it would be possible with them still in situ - fortunately it was. I added masking tape to the seat trim to draw round the swivel base in advance of securing the bolts.

I've got heated seats and remembered to refer the connection. However, there was all sorts of additional wiring fuses underneath. Any clues as to what this may be?

A couple of questions - If anyone could shed any light, that'd be most appreciated.
does the seat actually lock in the 180 degrees rotated position?
I see it was recommended to use Loctite [text keeps changing to Lactate], but I haven't for the time being in case I opt for leisure battery etc. beneath. There is a fair amount of movement in the seat compared to standard, even with bolts tightened to the max. Does Loctite improve this greatly, and how are the bolts unscrewed if ever the seat is to be removed?

Here to hoping the wife doesn't notice the seat is slightly higher until such a time that she's a) in a good mood and b) we're in a situation when I can set and the benefits will be immediately obvious.

IMG_8953.jpegIMG_8952.jpegIMG_8954.jpegIMG_8955.jpeg

Sadly I had to clear my windscreen of remnants of a suicidal pigeon this evening. Thankfully my girls are ok but shook up as it sounded like a brick hitting the screen.

Feeling very guilty but there was nothing I could have done at the speed we were travelling.

Sadly I had to clear my windscreen of remnants of a suicidal pigeon this evening. Thankfully my girls are ok but shook up as it sounded like a brick hitting the screen.

Feeling very guilty but there was nothing I could have done at the speed we were travelling.
:eek:...and your screen wasn't damaged? I saw a seagull utterly destroy the A-pillar of an A4 I was following a few years back - mind, we were ton-up in the outside lane of the M4 at the time :whistle:

:eek:...and your screen wasn't damaged? I saw a seagull utterly destroy the A-pillar of an A4 I was following a few years back - mind, we were ton-up in the outside lane of the M4 at the time :whistle:
Thankfully no damage, a lot of feathers, blood and guts.

We weren’t far off a tonne when we hit it, I didn’t even see it, my wife did though, shook her up a lot.

• Wow
Reactions: JOG
Thankfully no damage, a lot of feathers, blood and guts.

We weren’t far off a tonne when we hit it, I didn’t even see it, my wife did though, shook her up a lot.
I can imagine - I was just an onlooker on the M4 and it shocked me. I got a fleeting glimpse of the guy in his Audi as he pulled over and he looked ashen (and that's probably before he realised his car was a Cat S write-off!)

Like @t6blo, fitted the Kiravans RIB single passenger swivel (offset version). I was left at home to do DIY indoors whilst the wife and children spent day at outdoor swimming pool, so I sneaked this one in to get outside for a bit. Fortunately didn't't take too long, and went OK. All the YouTube install videos showed all the rear seats taken out, and I was hoping it would be possible with them still in situ - fortunately it was. I added masking tape to the seat trim to draw round the swivel base in advance of securing the bolts.

I've got heated seats and remembered to refer the connection. However, there was all sorts of additional wiring fuses underneath. Any clues as to what this may be?

A couple of questions - If anyone could shed any light, that'd be most appreciated.
does the seat actually lock in the 180 degrees rotated position?
I see it was recommended to use Loctite [text keeps changing to Lactate], but I haven't for the time being in case I opt for leisure battery etc. beneath. There is a fair amount of movement in the seat compared to standard, even with bolts tightened to the max. Does Loctite improve this greatly, and how are the bolts unscrewed if ever the seat is to be removed?

Here to hoping the wife doesn't notice the seat is slightly higher until such a time that she's a) in a good mood and b) we're in a situation when I can set and the benefits will be immediately obvious.

View attachment 164225View attachment 164226View attachment 164224View attachment 164223

No, it doesn’t lock in the swivelled position.
Loctite is unnecessary on the hex bolts as they have nylock nuts. You could use loctite on the others. Blue loctite is best as it will prevent the nuts from coming loose but you can still undo them with a spanner/socket if required. Red loctite is more permanent.

I also have heated seats so had to remember to unplug and pass through the hole. The rest of the wiring and fuses/relays can be ignored.

With the seat in the locked forward position there is no movement as the plates lock together with nylon guides. I felt abit of wobble (although I am 19st) when the seat was facing the rear - loctite will not help this. In my case losing about 5st might improve the wobble :whistle:

LED lighting, just in time for festival season!

Really pleased with the result. Reasonably easy job. And less than £30.

- 2 x 5m LED strips. Less than £20 from Amazon. Perfect length with no gaps or trimming needed. IP67 versions, so they are encased in rubber.
- Cleaned the inside of pop top but didn’t really need it. Can’t believe it, but it doesn’t seem to get wet or dirty under there. Water in my wash bucket was still clean when I was done!
- Swapped the included 240V power supply for a 12V cigarette plug from eBay.
- Fed wires into the back of the Skyline canvas.
- Control unit hidden behind top carpeted panel above my rear cupboard.
- Power supply cable hidden behind my cabinets, with cigarette plug easy to find and plug into the interior 12V plugs. (A tidier job would be to run into fuse box and fit a switch… another day.)

Controlled with IR remote or Bluetooth app (colour wheel, custom modes, timers, music setting). Key thing is to buy a 12V LED strip.

Seems to use maximum 2A on highest brightness and with brighter colours. Uses hardly anything with more subtle lighting. And draws 0.05A when turned off, and that might be the single LED in the power plug.

Took me a fair bit of reading to buy the right kit, but then 3 hours or so of careful working.

Anyone else heading to Latitude in two weeks?

33F3686D-85B3-436E-A769-44E0F38731E1.jpeg

LED lighting, just in time for festival season!

Really pleased with the result. Reasonably easy job. And less than £30.

- 2 x 5m LED strips. Less than £20 from Amazon. Perfect length with no gaps or trimming needed. IP67 versions, so they are encased in rubber.
- Cleaned the inside of pop top but didn’t really need it. Can’t believe it, but it doesn’t seem to get wet or dirty under there. Water in my wash bucket was still clean when I was done!
- Swapped the included 240V power supply for a 12V cigarette plug from eBay.
- Fed wires into the back of the Skyline canvas.
- Control unit hidden behind top carpeted panel above my rear cupboard.
- Power supply cable hidden behind my cabinets, with cigarette plug easy to find and plug into the interior 12V plugs. (A tidier job would be to run into fuse box and fit a switch… another day.)

Controlled with IR remote or Bluetooth app (colour wheel, custom modes, timers, music setting). Key thing is to buy a 12V LED strip.

Seems to use maximum 2A on highest brightness and with brighter colours. Uses hardly anything with more subtle lighting. And draws 0.05A when turned off, and that might be the single LED in the power plug.

Took me a fair bit of reading to buy the right kit, but then 3 hours or so of careful working.

Anyone else heading to Latitude in two weeks?

View attachment 164263
Can you put the links up to what you bought please

Back