What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

So this is pretty nerdy, but it was about making my inner 9 year old happy.

I got Bonsly a couple of months back, and realised when I climbed into the front one day, that it was just like climbing into the RAF Puma as you used to contort yourself into the cockpit from the cabin. I was grinning like a nostalgic idiot.

Then bought these epic seat covers from the wonderful Jackyards. I'm really grateful to the forum for giving details about them. I went full nerd and decided to have my favourite airframe tail numbers on the seats ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

XW217 was my rocketship on my first det as aircraft captain in Iraq, which I flew from the right hand seat as handling pilot (the aircraft saved me from likely crashing in the Tigris with an engine failure in Baghdad); XW210 also kept me safe when the shtf on a det when I was flying as the nav in the left, hence the covers on the driver and passenger seats.

The girls picked the rear seat covers. They're all gorgeous quality.

Really nerdy, but I bloody love it.

Also got some epic fitted rubber mats from Rugs for Bugs that have been brilliant for beach days.

IMG_3232 2 Large.jpeg

IMG_3243 Large.jpeg

IMG_3229 Large.jpeg

So this is pretty nerdy, but it was about making my inner 9 year old happy.

I got Bonsly a couple of months back, and realised when I climbed into the front one day, that it was just like climbing into the RAF Puma as you used to contort yourself into the cockpit from the cabin. I was grinning like a nostalgic idiot.

Then bought these epic seat covers from the wonderful Jackyards. I'm really grateful to the forum for giving details about them. I went full nerd and decided to have my favourite airframe tail numbers on the seats ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

XW217 was my rocketship on my first det as aircraft captain in Iraq, which I flew from the right hand seat as handling pilot (the aircraft saved me from likely crashing in the Tigris with an engine failure in Baghdad); XW210 also kept me safe when the shtf on a det when I was flying as the nav in the left, hence the covers on the driver and passenger seats.

The girls picked the rear seat covers. They're all gorgeous quality.

Really nerdy, but I bloody love it.

Also got some epic fitted rubber mats from Rugs for Bugs that have been brilliant for beach days.

View attachment 215458

View attachment 215459

View attachment 215460
Good job you weren’t an armourer like me, or else you’d have had missiles and guns fitted. That would have appealed to my inner 9 year old, but it’s a little more controversial than your seat covers and aircraft numbers.

Good job you weren’t an armourer like me, or else you’d have had missiles and guns fitted. That would have appealed to my inner 9 year old, but it’s a little more controversial than your seat covers and aircraft numbers.
I love armourers. Sorting out the fireworks on the side of the aircraft, and always good for a laugh with the aircrew w*nkers when it's weapon cleaning time

I replaced these horrors (rear spring lower rubber mount) with the PU version from THQ. Took me over an hour of faffing on the left side and 15 minutes on the right. Lessons learned: unbolt the anti-roll bar both sides so you're not fighting it and use the supplied jack to lift the van and your trolley jack to lift the trailing arm to bolt the shock back on.PXL_20230928_114142191.jpg

Replaced the wipers all round and cleaned the glass inside and out in anticipation of my euro road trip later today.

Drained the ice bath pool thing and now we are almost ready to go.

Sneaky little side foam mattress and pillows and blankets in case I need a proper rest on the journey (13 hours / 909 miles) from Calais Eurotunnel.

Intention is to stop and rest somewhere in middle of Germany

IMG_9190.jpeg

I replaced these horrors (rear spring lower rubber mount) with the PU version from THQ. Took me over an hour of faffing on the left side and 15 minutes on the right. Lessons learned: unbolt the anti-roll bar both sides so you're not fighting it and use the supplied jack to lift the van and your trolley jack to lift the trailing arm to bolt the shock back on.View attachment 215482
As far as I’m aware if you have both rear wheels off the ground it is much easier and no need to disconnect the anti-roll bar.

Measuring up for possible battery locations I noticed that the factory installed looms under the passenger seat had been fitted so they tangled through each other and were straining some of the thinner cables. Not super impressed on a £60k vehicle that spent 18 months as a dealer demo, you'd have though someone in that time would have spotted and fixed...

So unclipped all the fuse and relay carriers and gently threading things into some sort of order.

Was about half way through and quite committed when it occurred to me I probably should have had the battery off just in case, oh well...

Back