What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I removed the gas bottle (Campingaz 907) and regulator as well as the gas safe and put a shelf in the now empty cupboard. We've now done 4 month long trips through Europe and numerous shorter trips at home without using the hob even once and decided that we would rather have the exrtra cupboard space instead. We're going to give it a go for a while and see how we get on. It will also be a relatively easy job to put it all back again if we ever come to sell the van (or have a change of mind!) - I simply tucked the hose out of the way secured with a bit of tape and screwed the gas drop out vent down to cover up the large hole that would have been left otherwise.. I was thinking of taking the whole Dometic hob/sink out as well and fitting a new worktop but on reflection I'm not sure it's worth the agg. A Cadac Safari Compact and ubiquitous square [canister] stove will sort the limited cooking that we do and a small electric kettle takes care of a brew when we're on hookup or using a Jackery.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

I removed the gas bottle (Campingaz 907) and regulator as well as the gas safe and put a shelf in the now empty cupboard. We've now done 4 month long trips through Europe and numerous shorter trips at home without using the hob even once and decided that we would rather have the exrtra cupboard space instead. We're going to give it a go for a while and see how we get on. It will also be a relatively easy job to put it all back again if we ever come to sell the van (or have a change of mind!) - I simply tucked the hose out of the way secured with a bit of tape and screwed the gas drop out vent down to cover up the large hole that would have been left otherwise.. I was thinking of taking the whole Dometic hob/sink out as well and fitting a new worktop but on reflection I'm not sure it's worth the agg. A Cadac Safari Compact and ubiquitous square [canister] stove will sort the limited cooking that we do and a small electric kettle takes care of a brew when we're on hookup or using a Jackery.

View attachment 215918View attachment 215919View attachment 215920
You could put a Cadac Duo regulator on the end and take 2x500g bottles - it would be probably lno more space than a canister stove.

@drinfinity. TBH, I'm not sure what that would do for me that the old setup wouldn't. We would still be left with gas bottles, a gas hob and sink in the van that we don't use because of alternatives which seem to work better for us. We don't particularly want to cook in the van but do need to boil a kettle in it and can use a portable gas stove for that in the unlikely event of not having electrickery of any kind.

Picked it up from the garage (Not a VW main dealer)! I had host of lights come up on the dash when on holiday last month - ABS, anti skid and tyre pressure warning. A failed wheel sensor seemed favourite, but which one? After a code read and O/S/R wheel speed sensor replacement and an another code read to confirm all faults cleared the van is back on the road without any additional lights illuminating the trip. I'm £160.00 down, but relieved not to have the dashboard lights anxiety when driving wondering whether I'll break down.

@drinfinity. TBH, I'm not sure what that would do for me that the old setup wouldn't. We would still be left with gas bottles, a gas hob and sink in the van that we don't use because of alternatives which seem to work better for us. We don't particularly want to cook in the van but do need to boil a kettle in it and can use a portable gas stove for that in the unlikely event of not having electrickery of any kind.
i dont like to cook in the Van either. If i am based at a camp for a period of time then all cooking is done in the drive away awning. But when moving from camp to camp, I limit the use if the Van stove to boiling water and have a Cadac with Campgaz reg so i can cook outdoors (or under the Fiamma) using the Van gas bottle.

would get rid the Van grill/oven and swap that for storage if it were not for the gas pipe connections

If you are officially a Motor Caravan and you remove the fixed cooking equipment and/or the sink don't you technically become a Van With Windows?

I am removing individual tiny tree sap spots off the roof of the van with my finger nails.
They have been there months, and they seem to come off much easier when the van is wet.
I am very wary of the effect of chemicals on the paintwork, so this seems the best approach.

Pete (living the van dream :rolleyes: )

If you are officially a Motor Caravan and you remove the fixed cooking equipment and/or the sink don't you technically become a Van With Windows?
that assumes your Van is so registered in the first place and not a lgv might apply now you have mentioned it.

I've been scuttling my bus.

My T6 is off to @BognorMotors in a couple of weeks for the BMVS Bilsteins to be fitted. It's a 2017 with nearly 60k on the clock so that's a lot of time for the suspension bolts to corrode so, today, I removed the wipers and the plastic cover to get access to the scuttle to clean it out. I removed half an inch of compost and fitted Dodomat 30mm Noise Buffler for better sound insulation. Then I jacked up each front wheel, wire brushed all the bolts and nuts they'll need to remove and hosed them with penetrating oil.

PXL_20231005_114445923.jpg
PXL_20231005_114454865.jpg
PXL_20231005_162742425.jpg

I'll repeat the bolt-freeing malarky again next weekend as the anti-roll bar linkage is apparently renowned for its fasteners seizing and having to be cut off.

Technically it was the weekend, but added 100w of solar and a sharkfin DAB/GPS aerial...

Plus a sub woofer (Amazon) heated seat elements (eBay) and a bit more sound proofing while I had the floor mats up.

PXL_20231006_112213837.MP.jpg
PXL_20231006_112800487.MP.jpg
PXL_20231006_112837115.MP.jpg

I've been scuttling my bus.

My T6 is off to @BognorMotors in a couple of weeks for the BMVS Bilsteins to be fitted. It's a 2017 with nearly 60k on the clock so that's a lot of time for the suspension bolts to corrode so, today, I removed the wipers and the plastic cover to get access to the scuttle to clean it out. I removed half an inch of compost and fitted Dodomat 30mm Noise Buffler for better sound insulation. Then I jacked up each front wheel, wire brushed all the bolts and nuts they'll need to remove and hosed them with penetrating oil.

View attachment 216009

I'll repeat the bolt-freeing malarky again next weekend as the anti-roll bar linkage is apparently renowned for its fasteners seizing and having to be cut off.
I've seen the sound deadening in the scuttle area a few times before now, but never with this type of foam. Still asking myself if there is not an issue with rust/ water between the layers (metal from the scuttle an foam of the sound deadening mat). Does anyone have a sort of long-term experience? I've gone through the relevant threads, but have seen no response to that particular question.
I am planning to do this as well, but without the foam (only butyl-mat) and I am afraid of making a mistake which probably shows the consequences in a few years...

Thanks for any advice

...ah: what have I done to my van today: watching it standing on the outside through my office window :) ...always makes me smile.

Back