What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Ha! I put mine on the other day, they're just a bit too big aren't they! My original is in the engine bay, no chance of putting the new one in there! DVLA really messed me around, but I did end up with 'van with windows' on the V5.
Yeah, rather large so put it on the drivers door as that was the only flat place I could find. DVLA screwed me around too as they didn’t update the max permissible mass so I had to send the V5 back again. Dee warned that may happen, even though the covering letter clearly stated which sections needed amending. They did change my number of seats (from 3 to 4) though without any faff, just a couple of photos.

20240512_201129.jpg

Activated / unlocked Android Auto (and voice commands too it would seem!) with a download from Vision Coding. With the new touch screen digitizer I fitted the other week, that's now our ICE sorted for now.

2 long, hard days later, the bed frame is (99%) done.

1000007793.jpg
1000007794.jpg
In the normal folded position (it'll be kept in place between the foam cushions/mattress and the back of the seat)
1000007795.jpg

And for winter storage when I'm not using it, it can fold almost flat.
1000007796.jpg

I just need to do a few tweeks here and there to get it just right, and I'm not sure I'll keep the little food out section at the front, this is meant to fill the gap between the bed and the door as I'll be making the cushions to fit right up the the inside of the van.

That's a good point, I should try to see if my phone will connect on a normal usbc rather than my "make it dumb" back to back adapters
Sad to report that the "make it dumb" approach is still needed.

Even better I now have the bottom "taskbar" area of Android Auto stop responding to touch (under conditions yet to be figured out) which requires a quick unplug/plug cycle on the phone. Not too bad but b**gers up music if streaming over the cable :mad:

But, yay, proper VW icon, yay... :unsure:

I carried out a DSG oil change yesterday. Fairly straightforward, helped by having a sloping driveway which with the van on ramps means the van is pretty level.
  1. Remove under tray
  2. Place oil drain tray/container on spill mats
  3. Remove drain plug, allow oil to drain
  4. Remove snorkel tube to allow the majority of oil to drain
  5. Replace oil tray with old dog bowl to catch final dregs, move tray to under the control module unit drain
  6. Slowly remove the module drain, controlling the flow to stop it going over the subframe
  7. Stop for lunch :)
  8. Replace module drain
  9. Replace snorkel tube and fit oil filling hose (eBay purchase), lead end of tube up in front of engine and attach to new oil container (5l + 1L)
  10. Fill gearbox by gentle squeezing inverted oil cans, occasionally returning cans upright and loosening the filler hose to allow air back into the cans.
  11. Once filled, start engine, apply footbrake, move selector to each position for 3-5 seconds
  12. Allow engine to idle in Park, using OBDEleven, (or VCDS) to monitor oil temperature reaching 35-40C.
  13. Leave running in Park
  14. Remove oil fill pipe from drain plug and allow excess to drain
  15. Refit drain plug
  16. Clean and refit under tray

Washed it as it was covering in annoying rough dust. Well, I say "washed" but can you really wash a turd!? :rofl:

Gave it a rinse over with ONR and got the detailing brush to a few dirt spots deep in some crevices that had been annoying me. Still took an hour!

Ok, maybe calling it a turd is harsh, but it needs a few days and a few (aka 20 or 30) hours with a DA polisher...

Last edited:
You can't wash a turd, but you can roll it in glitter! You've done well mate!
Haha, tbh from 5ft away it looks fine, but my god there's some scratches when you get close! The downside of owning a black van!! :rofl:

I'll get it sorted at some point, when I come to start working on the exterior of the van - Wheels & tyres, suspension, paintwork, probably getting rid of the chrome side bars etc.

Looks like Swiss Farm to me...I was there over BH. Fantastic site!
Never stayed there , always stay next door on the Caravan and motorhome club but good to hear you'd recommend it .
Slightly shorter walk to the pub too :cool: .
Maybe try this next time then .thanks .

never used the water tank for drinking water and carry a separate container. Wise decision. Took it out today for extra storage and despite a generous use of Milton in past months, there was still black mould in the tank and around the pump fittings. Yuck.....

Back