Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

IMG_2083.jpeg

Now at the Maryport Marina’s very nice small campsite. Cost £28 per night. Town interesting but unfortunately has seen some better days despite its proximity to the peaks of the Lake District.

I came here to follow a bit of an ancestral trail; one of whom in 1846 at the age of 26 had a “splendid new” 372 ton barque built at the local shipyard for the “China and East India trade”. He sailed from Maryport before eventually returning to Liverpool. The days of ‘death or glory’!

Continuing our Greek odyssey, we took the ferry car ferry over th the island of Poros (still The Peloponnese) yesterday. We first came here about 40 years ago when it was a comparatively quite backwater used mostly for holiday homes by well heeled Athenians and were last here in late September 2012 when it was still quiet but that was also partly due to it being near the end of their season). Coming off the ferry yesterday, we quickly realised how much it had changed and things were heaving in the main town (where the port is located) - some of the people might have been day visitors as there were fewer around last night but it was still quite busy. We're in a very nice AirBnB for a few days rather than staying in the van but there's unfortunately no parking on the premises (despite the AirBnB losing sating there was!). That said, I've no real qualms about parking the van around the corner and out of sight as it's a small island with little crime (je says with confidence). Sorry about ther large Greek woman in the picture - she showed no signs of moving.
View attachment 258561View attachment 258562
Is it true (it certainly looks like it) that everyone has to reverse onto Greek ferries? We find fancy a Eastern trip after always doing France/Spain/Portugal. But we have a panel van so will be towing a caravan. I'm pretty good at reversing but under pressure with thousands of pounds worth of other peoples shiny beloved metal each side it's a bit nerve wracking! :eek:

Further to my post #10,882 we're now starting the journey home from Greece starting with the Poros to Galatas car ferry and a near 4 hour drive from there to Patras which was very pleasant as it mostly stuck to the coast. We're now in an AirBnB in Patras for a couple of days before the ferry to Ancona and a trek across Italy - apart from anything else, the small ground floor apartment was chosen as it has it's own secure parking on the premises (the van can just be seen peeking through the steel sliding door!). Finding secure parking wasn't really a concern in Poros (small island, very low crime rate) but now we're in a biggish city, it's a different matter. We're quite close to a a football stadium and whilst there doesn't seem to be a match on today, we can hear a band doing a sound check for what might be a gig this evening?? Hopefully, they won't be playing until too late tonight a Mrs AJ always needs her beauty sleep - not such a problem for me as I'm well past beauty sleep doing me any good and I'm also partially deaf and earplugs take care of the rest.
Ferry ret.jpgAda.jpg

@Podge. Until today, I would have said no (or not always) but we did have to reverse on to the ferry this morning and drive forwards to get off (but it was quite a small one). The one that we travelled over to Poros on last last week was a RoRo so it was drive forwards on and off. That said, the bad news is that for the big ferries like the one that we're doing the 24 hour trip on next week from Patras to Ancona, you also drive forwards to get to the car deck(s) BUT disembarking does often require a bit of reversing. On the way over here, that was pretty easy as it was just back about 10M or so and then forward to the ramp up and out - we're supposed to be returning on the same ship so I hope it will be the same procedure then. However, last year when we caught a ferry from Igoumenitsa to Bari, I wound up driving forward onto the ship and a car deck three levels down but had to reverse up two of them before there was space to start going forwards again. I found that stressful enough with just the van and assistance from the reversing camera and couldn't imagine trying to do it with a caravan in tow as well. Please don't think I'm being too alarmist here as I thing the crew who direct the traffic on the boat are pretty switched on about all this stuff and would probably send a rig like yours somewhere fairly easy to manoeuvre in and out of (probably an upper deck) - don't forget that it's in everyones interests to embark and disembark any vehicles as quickly as they possibly can and nobody wants 'an incident' that gets in the way of that. The other thing that doesn't help if you like to have an extra set of eyes in the vehicle when doing all this stuff is that they only allow the driver to travel in the vehicle when it goes on - occupants have to leave it and go on board as foot passengers meeting up again once the car is parked up.

Last edited:
Just back from a fabulous weeks walking (and a touch of the obligatory shopping) in The Lakes in and around Ambleside.
More sun than rain which was a bobby bonus! Great to see the fighter jets come through almost every day.
Stayed at Sunny Brow Farm which I can highly recommend.
Walked Loughrigg Fell, Catbells, Tarn How, Skelwith Bridge-Little Langdale-Elterwater, and a circular out of Sunny Brow.

IMG_5382.jpeg

745355ca-fe44-4c7f-a88c-1b830af5ae80.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

IMG_5148.jpeg

IMG_5087.jpeg

Just back from a fabulous weeks walking (and a touch of the obligatory shopping) in The Lakes in and around Ambleside.
More sun than rain which was a bobby bonus! Great to see the fighter jets come through almost every day.
Stayed at Sunny Brow Farm which I can highly recommend.
Walked Loughrigg Fell, Catbells, Tarn How, Skelwith Bridge-Little Langdale-Elterwater, and a circular out of Sunny Brow.

View attachment 259172

View attachment 259173

View attachment 259174

View attachment 259175

View attachment 259176
Does Sunny Brow Farm not have camping? I just looked it up but it appears only to have rather lovely looking cottage style accommodation.

Back