Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

We did Mull last year Dave. Stunning place, can't wait to go back.
There's Golden eagles, otters and white tailed eagles at Loch na Kiel. Also we saw hen harriers on the road from Salen Bay campsite to Loch na Kiel on several occasions.
I'm sure you’ve got it all planned, but the campsite at Fidden Farm is a stunning location. The beach is amazing.IMG_4226.jpegWe also stopped at the camping field of Ardalanish Weavers. Quite secluded and private access onto the beach through a little field of highland coos. You can buy meat from their farm shop too.
Think it’s only a tenner to stay.
IMG_4281.jpeg

Last edited:
Further to my post #10,933, despite the €150 price tag, the NH Hotel in Ancona actually turned out to be pretty good and we had what seemed to be a very recently refurbished room. With the help Google Maps it was very easy to find and we managed to get a space in their car park right opposite the front door and within sight of our window which also had a very good view of Ancona Port (the hotel was on the top of a hill accessed by a private road). With the delays, we didn't actually get there until 2215 hrs and after the restaurant had closed but we had anticipated that and ate a more substantial lunch than usual on the ferry (we usually skip it or go light). I didn't stop us grabbing a couple of quick beers in the bar though and the girl who served us was nice enough to fill a largish bowl with crisps so at least we had something. Saying all that, the rate did include a very good breakfast buffet with the usual hot and cold stuff. I'm double glad that we booked the hotel so close to the port as Storm Boris has hit Italy big time and shortly after checking in the rain started with a vengeance and then some.
With an early start in more rain which alternated through light and very bad for most of the morning and early afternoon, we managed to knock out about 570 Kms over 6 or so hours and am now parked up at Camping Bella Torino which is unsurprisingly near Torino and seem very nice. I get the impression that it's a fairly new site run by some young people, albeit it'e not within walking distance of much (but they have got a restaurant which will be tested later). We're parked up nest door to another UK registered VW (allocated pitch not chosen) which is the first one we've seen since we entered Italy at the start of the trip.
@Podge. On the whole reversing on Greek ferries issue, for the return voyage, I drove forward onto the ferry, and swung around at the bottom of the ramp down to the lower car deck before reversing into the far RH corner of the deck with a bit of assistance from the loadie (or whatever they're called on a ship). That serves me right for being at the front of the queue to get on board but I managed not to scrape anything (which is more than I can say for my Mrs but she feels bad enough without me rubbing it in any further). By the time I had finished the manoeuvring, I was parked about 6" from the far end of the hull and the same from the side - as we used to say when I was working, the 'pucker factor' was quite high at the time - see the third picture.NH.jpgTorino Pitch.jpgDeck.jpg

PS. Forgot to say that this campsite in Torino is only €24 with leccy which is a bargain - it's the first site that has been eligible for ACSI discount during the whole trip as we've been too early for all the others. IIRC, it's also only the only other one (alongside Fort Lapin in Calais) that's been under €35 (and some way more than that!). I'll have to do the sums when we get home but I already know that this will be the most expensive road trip we've ever done - mind you, a week in AirBnBs and a hotel don't help but as my Mrs often points out you can't take it with you.

Further to my post #10,933, despite the €150 price tag, the NH Hotel in Ancona actually turned out to be pretty good and we had what seemed to be a very recently refurbished room. With the help Google Maps it was very easy to find and we managed to get a space in their car park right opposite the front door and within sight of our window which also had a very good view of Ancona Port (the hotel was on the top of a hill accessed by a private road). With the delays, we didn't actually get there until 2215 hrs and after the restaurant had closed but we had anticipated that and ate a more substantial lunch than usual on the ferry (we usually skip it or go light). I didn't stop us grabbing a couple of quick beers in the bar though and the girl who served us was nice enough to fill a largish bowl with crisps so at least we had something. Saying all that, the rate did include a very good breakfast buffet with the usual hot and cold stuff. I'm double glad that we booked the hotel so close to the port as Storm Boris has hit Italy big time and shortly after checking in the rain started with a vengeance and then some.
With an early start in more rain which alternated through light and very bad for most of the morning and early afternoon, we managed to knock out about 570 Kms over 6 or so hours and am now parked up at Camping Bella Torino which is unsurprisingly near Torino and seem very nice. I get the impression that it's a fairly new site run by some young people, albeit it'e not within walking distance of much (but they have got a restaurant which will be tested later). We're parked up nest door to another UK registered VW (allocated pitch not chosen) which is the first one we've seen since we entered Italy at the start of the trip.
@Podge. On the whole reversing on Greek ferries issue, for the return voyage, I drove forward onto the ferry, and swung around at the bottom of the ramp down to the lower car deck before reversing into the far RH corner of the deck with a bit of assistance from the loadie (or whatever they're called on a ship). That serves me right for being at the front of the queue to get on board but I managed not to scrape anything (which is more than I can say for my Mrs but she feels bad enough without me rubbing it in any further). By the time I had finished the manoeuvring, I was parked about 6" from the far end of the hull and the same from the side - as we used to say when I was working, the 'pucker factor' was quite high at the time - see the third picture.View attachment 259686View attachment 259687View attachment 259688
A couple bits of thin string holding all that weight of scaffold poles up?
Would have been crapping myself.
You any idea how heavy a scaffold pole is ?

There's Golden eagles, otters and white tailed eagles at Loch na Kiel. Also we saw hen harriers on the road from Salen Bay campsite to Loch na Kiel on several occasions.
I'm sure you’ve got it all planned, but the campsite at Fidden Farm is a stunning location. The beach is amazing.View attachment 259568We also stopped at the camping field of Ardalanish Weavers. Quite secluded and private access onto the beach through a little field of highland coos. You can buy meat from their farm shop too.
View attachment 259570
Thanks. We’ve got two nights here at Salen Bay, then tomorrow we’re moving on to Port nan Gael for two nights before we set off for home. We went to Tobermory and then followed on around to Loch na Keal on route back to Salen Bay. Very sporting roads, never a dull moment on single track road! I had no idea about the roads here. They’re fun to drive though. No sight of wildlife apart from sheep.
We’re going to visit Iona tomorrow before setting up on our next campsite.
We’ve not got much use out of our bikes as it’s very hilly around here. Still, we’re loving our holiday

Well, I've hunted high and low, but this is the only Transporter at the show (Emergency Services Show) this year. But making good use of the Ovano.

1000008004.jpg

Plenty of new Transit Customs, I guess it's too early for the new Transporter. Quite a few MAN ambulance box conversions. Ford have the biggest vehicle stand.

Lots of dogs!

1000008009.jpg

1000007992.jpg

I'm now in Biarritz - Milady (cracks me up how the google navigation uses a full london french accent when pronouncing places, Milady is "Me Lady" :rofl: ) staying in a camping car park for 16 euros a night - not the most scenic but it's 100m from a beach, and 30 mins walk/10 mins cycle into the centre of Biarritz. I'm here for 2 nights, at least, it's going to be 26 degrees on Thursday!
View attachment 259525
View attachment 259526
View attachment 259527

Walked up a big pile of sand on the way, Dune Du Pilat.
View attachment 259528
View attachment 259529
View attachment 259530

Plus an arty one...
View attachment 259531
Just checking in on you Paul! Haven't heard from you for a couple of days, hope all is well?!!

Just checking in on you Paul! Haven't heard from you for a couple of days, hope all is well?!!
Been wondering what’s happened to Paul.

Are you trying to say I post too much? :rofl: :p

I've been enjoying a relaxing couple of days on the Biarritz beaches, the weather has been glorious. Biarritz is really nice, also great if you're in the market for a 3000 euro watch or a pair of 800 euro sunglasses! :rofl:

1000010633.jpg
1000010636.jpg
1000010635.jpg
1000010630.jpg

I'm heading east later today, stopping somewhere in the Pyrenees overnight then onto Catalonia - I'm not going to visit Ainsa and do some mountain biking as it looks like its going to be heavy rain over the weekend, and I've brought a cold with me so I'm not feeling 100%.

Rain is also heading this way on the west coast so I'm hoping to only hit it when I'm driving through the mountains.

I've got 3 nights booked at a campsite at Sant Feliu de Guixols from Friday.

Last edited:

I've been enjoying a relaxing couple of days on the Biarritz beaches, the weather has been glorious. Biarritz is really nice, also great if you're in the market for a 3000 euro watch or a pair of 800 euro sunglasses! :rofl:

View attachment 259774
View attachment 259775
View attachment 259776
View attachment 259777

I'm heading east later today, stopping somewhere in the Pyrenees overnight then onto Catalonia - I'm not going to visit Ainsa and do some mountain biking as it looks like its going to be heavy rain over the weekend, and I've brought a cold with me so I'm not feeling 100%.

Rain is also breathing this way on the west coast so I'm hoping to only hit it when I'm driving through the mountains.

Poor love! Glad your alive!

View attachment 259774
View attachment 259775
View attachment 259776
View attachment 259777

Rain is also breathing this way on the west coast so I'm hoping to only hit it when I'm driving through the mountains.

And here was me thinking you had joined the foreign legion :rofl:
Looks great. Fingers crossed you miss the rain.
I am patiently waiting on a good downpour.
The rivers are bone dry up here so no fishing to be had.
All work and no play for me at the moment
Keep the reports coming mate.

I'm sure you’ve got it all planned, but the campsite at Fidden Farm is a stunning location. The beach is amazing.View attachment 259568We also stopped at the camping field of Ardalanish Weavers. Quite secluded and private access onto the beach through a little field of highland coos. You can buy meat from their farm shop too.
View attachment 259570
Honey you shrunk the van :)

We're still on the slowish drive back to the UK and having travelled under The Alps from Italy via The Frejus Road Tunnel, we're now in the brilliantly named ARS sur Fermans at Camping Du Bois de la Dame. TBH, I couldn't be bothered to take another pitch picture as it's quite similar to a lot of the others but the site itself is pretty damned good for only €16 (ACSI) with clean facilities and only a short walk to a small town which is pretty standard for such places in France in that it's very quiet with apparently naff all going on (unless you're off a religious bent when there's a fairly large church to visit and a few shops selling religious tourist tat about St. somebody or the other. We will be stopping around Reims tomorrow and heading for Calais after that. When I looked at the weather forecast for there earlier today, it said rain on Sunday in which case we might well end up changing the tunnel booking and heading home then. Just need to find the time to pick up a few cases of wine and some beer to take home as well as scoffing a portion of the lovely chips form the Friterie des Nations on the beach at Calais (which sometimes involves employing my hand to hand combat skills against the resident herring gulls who will inevitably want to make a move on them).

Back