Where to get genuine LED headlights fitted

Thanks for the input guys - £3k does sound a lot, perhaps I might need to do some homework to try and get the cost down a bit or I’ll never convince the wife ;)

I had the same problem @Undertoker, the H4 lights are truly shocking,i found them fine driving around the town but as soon as i drove into the country,i couldn't believe how bad they were,verging on being dangerous in my bespectacled opinion! I sourced all the parts using @Robert 's thread including all the parts for the self levelling which is required for an Mot i believe . All new except i think the range controller which was second hand. Also got a wiring loom from @Pauly which made the job a lot easier. If i remember rightly,it cost a little over 2 grand and that included paying a mate that has a vw garage to fit it all and code it etc. Probably the best 2 grand that i have spent on the van and there has been many lol

Less than half that if you DIY them, I'm not electrically minded but fitted everything including the levellers in a day and half including making my own looms!

in honesty I know I’ll end up paying for them to be done eventually simply as they are that bad - I’m just gutted they are that expensive to have fitted

Have you thought about upgrading to Transport HQ headlights, that’s around £400 and will give much better light output, it’s what most people in your position do.

You can also get VW OEM H7 headlights second hand for about £300 which again will give you a massive increase in light.

Neither will give you the same as LEDs but for £400 and a relatively simple install you will fix the problem of dim lights. My T6 has the H7 lights and they are as good or better as any other halogen headlights on other cars I have driven, they are good enough that I have never considered needing to upgrade them.

Reactions: CAB
This sounds like a good idea tbh
are they plug and play and do you have a link for them bud ?
thank you

Have a read of this. It doesn't get conclusive until around page 40ish, but the long and short of it is These headlights are plug and play. Vans with H4 headlights need coding or an additional harness to allow dipped beam to stay on with main beam. Transporter HQ offer them with LED bulbs for dipped beam, but many of us have found that HIDs are better. However, there are now some new H7 LED bulbs that have been developed especially for projector lights, but no one here has tried them yet. Maybe @BognorMotors will give them a try? ;) H1 LED bulbs work really well in the main beam reflectors too. Light scatter isn't so much of an issue with main beam, as no other drivers should really see them. They are still not quite up to the performance of factory LEDs, but for the money, with the right bulbs, they are a massive improvement.

Last edited:
I went from H4 to THQ and then to factory LED. The THQ are a marginal upgrade on the H4 but the LED are a HUGE upgrade from the THQ

If I was to do it again I would bypass the THQ go straight to factory LED, but when I bought the THQ there wasn't a way to DIY factory LED.

I went from H4 to THQ and then to factory LED. The THQ are a marginal upgrade on the H4 but the LED are a HUGE upgrade from the THQ
My THQ lights with HID's in the projectors are in a different league to the factory H4's, every bit as good as my wife's Volvo with factory LED's.
I wouldn't spend hundreds on THQ lights and then just put halogens in them and expect much improvement.

My THQ lights with HID's in the projectors are in a different league to the factory H4's, every bit as good as my wife's Volvo with factory LED's.
I wouldn't spend hundreds on THQ lights and then just put halogens in them and expect much improvement.
Fair comment but I'm pretty sure HID's are illegal in halogen units... I could fit some super bright CIBIE lights across the front of my van and be even brighter, but I might upset other road users!

Fair comment but I'm pretty sure HID's are illegal in halogen units... I could fit some super bright CIBIE lights across the front of my van and be even brighter, but I might upset other road users!
Ah, I'm talking dipped beam, spot lights are only relevant to main beam.
My dipped beam has a great pattern, no light scatter and a crisp cut off, it doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers, which is why the Police who see my van regularly have no interest in my headlights!

Ah, I'm talking dipped beam, spot lights are only relevant to main beam.
My dipped beam has a great pattern, no light scatter and a crisp cut off, it doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers, which is why the Police who see my van regularly have no interest in my headlights!
Police are not interested because cant be bothered with the paperwork. MOT man might be, or should the worst happen the investigators certainly would be.

Police are not interested because cant be bothered with the paperwork. MOT man might be, or should the worst happen the investigators certainly would be.

A Police investigator will only ever be interested if a serious collision occurs and there is any possibility that it was caused by a third party being dazzled by my headlights. My headlights don't dazzle.

The MOT tester checked the beam pattern and gave me a pass certificate, he must have thought they were set correctly.

On this forum this week I saw a set of wheels being advertised with 1.5 mm of tread on them, after months of wet weather. I'm guessing they weren't worn down to below the legal limit on private roads. Now there's an offence if you're looking!
I also frequently see references to DPF and EGR deletes, plenty of offences to get your teeth into!

Back