Which poptop mattress?

We’ve got 2 of these. One for pop top and one for rock n roll bed. Squeeze the air out and they both sit in the pop top roof space. Very comfy 6C7C1EDE-71D4-4C28-9C8F-1C0DDB00F3D2.png

Spent ages looking at mattresses and toppers, got a Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mat Camper Van mattress. By far the most comfy camping mattress/bed topper I have tried. Inflates very quickly, combination of air and memory foam, doesnt get hot like memory foam mattresses/toppers, adjustable air and rolls up really nice not much bigger than a sleeping bag. Bit pricey but I wouldn’t be without it. Haven't tried, but think it will fit in a closed standard poptop when deflated, eventually thinking of getting a second one for kids in poptop, currently they got a cheaper one they seem happy with.

Interested to see results as we are currently using mattress that came with van conversion for top bed but would like more comfort, we were wondering how thick it can be and still fit in pop top space

Spent ages looking at mattresses and toppers, got a Sea To Summit Comfort Deluxe Self Inflating Mat Camper Van mattress. By far the most comfy camping mattress/bed topper I have tried. Inflates very quickly, combination of air and memory foam, doesnt get hot like memory foam mattresses/toppers, adjustable air and rolls up really nice not much bigger than a sleeping bag. Bit pricey but I wouldn’t be without it. Haven't tried, but think it will fit in a closed standard poptop when deflated, eventually thinking of getting a second one for kids in poptop, currently they got a cheaper one they seem happy with.
Is this the 115cm version with the cutout in the rear corner?
This seems to be designed for LHD rather than RHD from the images I’ve seen or do you use it upside down?

Simon

my mrs got a deal on a duvalay through gooutdoors sale, it lives in the pop top fine. it was originally intended for the rnr but its a better fit up top than the two single toppers we bought for the kids.

When i do my next conversion i am going to sit the bed board down a bit (effectively by ply thickness 17mm) this will give me a bit more space to leave a mattress/bedding up there

We’ve got 2 of these. One for pop top and one for rock n roll bed. Squeeze the air out and they both sit in the pop top roof space. Very comfy View attachment 122633
Hi there,

are these very comfortable. Really struggle with sleep and have been using a memory foam topper, which is great. It just takes up so much room when rolled up.

Very pleased with ours. We tried r&r bed with sheet (hell on earth), r&r with 3cm topper (only marginally better, and then these which are as close to comfortable as I think you’ll probably get for a camping bed scenario even straight onto the pop top bed. If you are going to Market Harborough on the 16th for the meet you can have a try

Very pleased with ours. We tried r&r bed with sheet (hell on earth), r&r with 3cm topper (only marginally better, and then these which are as close to comfortable as I think you’ll probably get for a camping bed scenario even straight onto the pop top bed. If you are going to Market Harborough on the 16th for the meet you can have a try
Cheers for that. I think I’ll grab one for up top and one for the r&r bed.

@Sim60
Yeah is the 115 with cut out. Use it other way round in our van, is fine either side up.
Is there any difference in the two sides @Honest_Bertie ?

Sleeping comfort of the one thing I need to resolve in our camper. This looks like a good bit of kit, but given the cutout mentioned above, just wondered if the finish is the same on both sides or not.

Is there any difference in the two sides @Honest_Bertie ?

Sleeping comfort of the one thing I need to resolve in our camper. This looks like a good bit of kit, but given the cutout mentioned above, just wondered if the finish is the same on both sides or not.
Its not the same both sides, the ‘normal side’ has a kind of velour to it and what might be termed the underside is normal camping mat material. We have a fairly thick sleeping bag on top of it and it feels as good as the memory foam matress we have at home, just not as wide.

Takes a few tries to get air level right, its easy to make it a little to firm, but you can let out air as you lie on it, adjust to taste. As far as material of each sides go it has made no difference to us. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ozi
Hi there
For what it's worth, we bought the Duvalay Comfort Topper and paid the extra to get it custom made to our exact requirements. It was not cheap but one of the best things we bought for the van and extremely comfortable and easy to roll up. So thumbs up from me on the Duvalay

Difficult question to answer as there won’t be many who have bought both to compare and peoples preferences are different.
If I was going to compare I‘d either find stores with them on display or order both online and return the one I didn’t want.

Reactions: JOG
I have a Duvalay in the caravan (touring) and a Simba at home. There is not much between them tbh. However the Simba absolutely stank for a week until the "new" smell disappeared.

Reactions: JOG
We run a 25mm Duvalay topper in the skyline aurora roof. Closes no problem. Then once up we run a 50mm duvalay sleeping back on top. Super comfortable.

Reactions: CAB
Hi. Have just bought a T6 campervan. Looking at mattresses/toppers for the pop-up and also rock and roll bed.Has anyone tried the Vango self-inflating POP 5cm? Any good? Also looking at the Outdoor Revolution self-inflating 120 from Winfields. Do the self-inflating ones last well or are memory foam toppers better? I have a Westdubs pop top and a FabworX IMM 1120 Double rock n roll. Would welcome advice please.

Last edited:
Looks like summer has eventually arrived.
I'm feeling the need to check out the poptop sleeping experience!
In the relatively short time we have had our van, we have slept on the R&R bed using the supplied wafer thin poptop mattress as a topper for the R&R.
I honestly think if I were to use the mattress in the poptop my sleeping experience would be severely hampered as it would be too damned uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for a decent poptop mattress that doesn't break the bank. (Yorkshireman!!!)

Has anyone used a memory foam mattress instead of the self inflating ones and can these be left up top and roof down??

Cheers

Back