Won’t insure!

I just tried A plan. They just said, " No, sorry, no one will cover you".
You can insurer anything on Earth against any risk you can think of - it's all a matter of how much you're prepared to pay for cover.

Have you tried brentacre ?
I tried them all, but all said no. I went with Just Campers in the end for £814. Agreed to take the second row of seats out and suddenly it was all ok. It makes sense " You want cheap camper insurance yet want 9 seats as well? Why?" Once I said I would take a row of seats out it was all done. Will be a lot more space for working in once the Starlink is added and I am free to work online from anywhere :)

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago because I had changed my wheels

Now with A Plan
Go with A-Plan, mention the forum and get 10% discount.

I tried them all, but all said no. I went with Just Campers in the end for £814. Agreed to take the second row of seats out and suddenly it was all ok. It makes sense " You want cheap camper insurance yet want 9 seats as well? Why?" Once I said I would take a row of seats out it was all done. Will be a lot more space for working in once the Starlink is added and I am free to work online from anywhere :)
The V5 would need to be updated for the reduced number of seats as far as I’m aware for the insurance to be valid.

The V5 would need to be updated for the reduced number of seats as far as I’m aware for the insurance to be valid.
I don’t believe that is true. Vehicle must be insured as inspected, if ever required.

Reactions: Bav
I don’t believe that is true. Vehicle must be insured as inspected, if ever required.

When you need to update your V5C​

You must update the details on your registration certificate (V5C) to tell DVLA about:
  • mistakes on your V5C
  • most changes you make to your vehicle
You cannot change tax class by updating your V5C. You do this by changing your vehicle tax - even if you’re changing to a tax class that’s exempt from vehicle tax, for example ‘disabled’.
This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Changes you need to update​

You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:
  • colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity (cc)
  • fuel type
  • chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified)
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a large vehicle, for example goods vehicle or campervan

Insurers provides cover on the basis of the details you provide, not the details on the V5. Provided what you tell them matches reality, the V5 is irrelevant.

Insurers provides cover on the basis of the details you provide, not the details on the V5. Provided what you tell them matches reality, the V5 is irrelevant.
Knowing what you know @Bav , who are the folk to insure with in the next couple of months? Starting to panic slightly with all these mentions of price hikes! Currently Plan A but open to a change....

Knowing what you know @Bav , who are the folk to insure with in the next couple of months? Starting to panic slightly with all these mentions of price hikes! Currently Plan A but open to a change....
Haha! Easing me in with an easy question, eh Wayne? ;)

I don't really have any insight TBH, other than parts & labour costs have soared for all insurers, so you won't avoid a hike. Best way to find who's most competitive for you is to hit everybody and their dog for a quotation - there are too many variables for anyone else's experience to be relevant to yours.

Also, whilst cost is important, don't forget to compare benefits such as Personal Effects Cover and European Cover, and, most importantly, ensure your van is insured for its full value!! (To paraphrase Fawlty - "I mentioned AV polices once, but I think I got away with it" :speechless:).

I know prices for everything has increased, and understand that insurance will do likewise.

I've just had the renewal for the Leon, and it's increased by a full £2.24.

I'll have that thank you very much LV.

Brentacre and A-plan wouldn't insure me because of where I live. I went price comparison instead.
mind if I ask where you're living? My renewal is early December and getting ready to call around. Laughable costs at the minute for a 6.1 kombi with very limited mods in North London.

I've had a similar issue with Direct Line saying they can't insure my van. Currently with Admiral but yet to speak to them when they get in touch re policy end....

Will be calling A-Plan as soon as I'm three weeks out from renewal

mind if I ask where you're living? My renewal is early December and getting ready to call around. Laughable costs at the minute for a 6.1 kombi with very limited mods in North London.

I've had a similar issue with Direct Line saying they can't insure my van. Currently with Admiral but yet to speak to them when they get in touch re policy end....

A Plan is now Howden Insurance but still the same people/ service. Renewed my 2018 T6 Kombi insurance with them yesterday. Limited mods - they seem to be happy with mods if you advise them. Tried DL & LV on line but both quotes bounced back saying there was a problem and asked me to ring them. I was happy with A Plan/ Howden so didn't bother. The van is insured for SDP no commuting or business.

Adrian flux were very competitive with my renewal. LV were up by 66% from last year and made no effort to retain me as a customer even though id been with them for 10+ years

Liverpool. Just refused to insure L postcode. That was last year but renewed this year for the same price!!!

Odd.

Just renewed with LV as a campervan.

Also got a separate quote from them to check prices.
Just requested a quote from for my converted T6.1 2022 from LV and got

We’re sorry…​

…we can’t offer you a quote because of the number of modifications to the VW TRANSPORTER T28...

Started the online quote through "campervan insurance" then all the questions talked about "Car" - not sure if they don't offer campervan insurance anymore or if the website isn't very well engineered. Either way not bothering with them anymore. All those questions to get to the above!

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Back