I can’t say I agree that cheap tyres are as good as expensive tyres. If you look at all the tyre tests on YT you will see the budget tyres always come at the bottom. Given that tyres are a critical component of safety and handling I choose to buy the Premium brands - of course it’s down personal choices and budgets. I currently run Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 which give amazing performance and wear characteristics.

Following on from my previous post, well that’s my rear tyres now well and truly shot!! 4k miles since buying the van and now have to fit a 3rd pair on the back! 4 wheel alignment was done last week but the tyres were already nearly illegal when it was done so it’s impossible to say if it made a difference…..wear is all on the outside from the edge to about 1/3rd of the way inboard. Ordered a cheap pair from THQ and coilovers going on later this month and will get alignment done again…..hopefully that will be end of my tyre shredding woes……will update down the line…….
Reading on here that someone got 13k miles from a set of tyres!!!! If I get anywhere near that I’ll be a happy man!!!

My last set were Accelera & got roughly 15k from them. Very good budget option imo. Since moved to Michelin CC2’s & they’re way more comfortable & the van handles much better. Especially in the wet.

With the correct alignment you will get a huge improvement in the tyre wear. The cold tyre pressure setting will also optimise the wear rate depending on the gross vehicle weight and if you are towing a trailer or caravan. For 20” tyres I set 36 psi all round for everyday use but increase the pressures to 40 when loaded and towing.

I can’t say I agree that cheap tyres are as good as expensive tyres. If you look at all the tyre tests on YT you will see the budget tyres always come at the bottom. Given that tyres are a critical component of safety and handling I choose to buy the Premium brands - of course it’s down personal choices and budgets. I currently run Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 which give amazing performance and wear characteristics.
Can I ask how many miles you get out of a set of the Eagle F1’s?

I’m running Michelin PS4S’. Not cheap but I got 30,000 out of the first set. £262 per tyre 275/35/20.

Following on from my previous post, well that’s my rear tyres now well and truly shot!! 4k miles since buying the van and now have to fit a 3rd pair on the back! 4 wheel alignment was done last week but the tyres were already nearly illegal when it was done so it’s impossible to say if it made a difference…..wear is all on the outside from the edge to about 1/3rd of the way inboard. Ordered a cheap pair from THQ and coilovers going on later this month and will get alignment done again…..hopefully that will be end of my tyre shredding woes……will update down the line…….
Reading on here that someone got 13k miles from a set of tyres!!!! If I get anywhere near that I’ll be a happy man!!!
I got 30,000 out of a set of Michelin PS4S’.
I’m running CRS Performance’s Koni/H&R adjustable suspension and ARB’s.
Steve at CRS has done quite a bit of racing so knows loads about suspension and tyres. Definitely worth chatting with him.

On average I get 17k out of the Goodyears. I am really happy with that as my van gets lots of heavy loads plus towing a loaded 2400kg car trailer. Expensive tyres do last longer

IMG_2630.jpeg

Thanks for the input folks. Sounds like something is seriously wrong with my current setup. I forgot to mention that the van was serviced at a VW van centre dealership and they mentioned the front shocks were leaking but no other problems like worn bushes or play anywhere….which makes me wonder what they actually check? There is also quite a lot of knocking and clunking on rough roads…..would worn shocks cause this? It really is not fun to drive at the moment. Have had the van up on a jack for a check to see if any springs are broken but they all seem ok…..anyway, as mentioned before am getting THQ’s Bilstein “Low” coilovers fitted soon so will ask the fitters to check the bushes while they’re at it.

Couple of shots of my tyres this morning. All 4 are Bridgestone Turanza 255/40/20 104, all at 38 psi.
Rears were fitted this January, fronts in February. £220 ish a corner. 1500 miles max since the back ones went on. Rear left seems the worst. Fronts look to be wearing better and more evenly.

Rear N/S
20240909_122817.JPG

Rear O/S
20240909_122959.JPG

Front O/S
20240909_123129.JPG

Front N/S
20240909_123213.JPG

Wow the rear geometry is way off the mark - eating tyres! I’d be checking all the bushes for any movement and then get a laser alignment done. Keep us posted - Good Luck

Wow the rear geometry is way off the mark - eating tyres! I’d be checking all the bushes for any movement and then get a laser alignment done. Keep us posted - Good Luck
Cheers. Laser alignment done a few weeks ago but tyres were already too far gone to notice any improvement. The rear was "out by quite a bit" (their words), but they never mentioned any issues with bushes but said they had sorted the alignment.
Will have to get it redone when the coilovers go on..... hopefully the garage installing them have a 4 wheel alignment system so I can get it all done in one hit.

Yes you do def need an alignment after making changes to the ride ht. Make sure it’s a laser alignment set up. Hope you get sorted.

Back