Try it at 36. We did thousand of miles testing different tyre pressure and 36 was the sweet spot and up to 40 when fully loaded

So now I am thinking of getting a set of steel wheels 19” but looking not to loose any gap between the arch.
I’ve seen some 19 x 8.5. Anyone know if a 255/45r19 tire would be ok or would it be too wide.
Am looking for a little more comfort, rather than going down the 265/40r20. Any advice and help would be much appreciated
Thank you.

That size will work perfectly on the 19” rim you’ve suggested. You’ll gain 7mm on the sidewall against a 265/40/20.

Thank you. I might try the 265/40/20 see what’s it’s like. Then go on to 19s if I still want some more comfort.
Thank you for the reply

Try it at 36. We did thousand of miles testing different tyre pressure and 36 was the sweet spot and up to 40 when fully loaded
How did you find tyre wear at this pressure?
I've just had to swap my fronts early for excessive wear on both outer edges suggesting the pressure at 36 was too low for my make of tyre.
I'm trying the new set at 44 just to see if wear will be more even.

I've just had to swap my fronts early for excessive wear on both outer edges suggesting the pressure at 36 was too low for my make of tyre.
I got 30,000 miles out of a set of Michelin PS4S’ at 40psi. Not cheap tyres but I’ve used them on cars before and was interested to see how they would perform on a van.

Van is fully converted and I meticulously kept them at 40psi.

Between 36-40 is the sweet spot in our testing. 36 has always been spot on with perfect tyre wear, up to 40 when fully loaded. GY F1 is our recommended tyre, but never found an inside with any tyre running this pressure.

44 is too high

I got 30,000 miles out of a set of Michelin PS4S’ at 40psi. Not cheap tyres but I’ve used them on cars before and was interested to see how they would perform on a van.

Van is fully converted and I meticulously kept them at 40psi.
That’s very good for PS4S, as they are a very very soft tyre - we’ve never got on with them on vans for this reason. Good going for you.

I run them on some of my cars though - excellent tyre.

That’s very good for PS4S, as they are a very very soft tyre - we’ve never got on with them on vans for this reason. Good going for you.

I run them on some of my cars though - excellent tyre.
Mostly motorway miles probably helped.

May try your GY F1’s when I need a new set.

Do you have a good photo of what they look like on a 20inch?

Having a fuffing mare with rear tyre wear! Last year, we bought a newly converted camper, 2018 T32 150 DSG, which had brand new 20’ alloys and tyres fitted when we bought it. Tyres were el cheapo brand I never heard of and were down to the wire on the insides within a year and under 2000 miles…..they were kept at 40 psi. So, just this January, I had new Bridgestone Turanza 255/40/20 104 load, fitted all round, at a cost of nearly 900 quid I thought pricey but being a quality tyre with a decent load rating I would get good life and have run them at 38psi as per the advice on the forum……well f@#k me, just over 1k miles and the rears are down to the wear indicator on the outside tread….the opposite side to the last set!! I can’t afford to be chucking 450 quid at tyres every few months. Van is lowered on what I suspect to be cheap springs on standard shocks…..could this be the culprit? I’ve just had a 4 wheel alignment done and the garage said ….”the rear was out by quite a bit but it’s all good now….” What this means and what they did to rectify the problem, I have no idea? The van weighs about 2400kg, give or take. Am still running 38 psi but, is my van heavy compared to other campers and need more psi or do I have another problem? Looking to change suspension all round for quality coil-overs from THQ very soon and probably poly bushes too when funds allow, for a better ride (van is VERY crashy too, on all but the very smoothest of tarmac) but mostly to save on tyres!! I was hoping to get at least 6-7k out of tyres not just over 1k? Anyone got any pointers?
Cheers

I am far from an expert but personally would say the after market springs and standard suspension might be the issue.
Is it ex AA van. Believe when they order the vans they have stronger dampeners and spring for the weight in the back. If the spring has been swapped then it messes with the set up.
Mine was absolutely terrible ride like yours, had coil overs fitted and dropped 70mm and rides really well now.
I never had an issue with tire wear and mine was stock all way round.
I also think cheaper tires are just as good as expensive, I’ve never had an issue with a cheaper tire on any car or van.

Back