2016 180PS Bi-TDi CFCA engine failure

similar on this other thread - T6 Kombi 2016 189 T32 Blue motion

so ill add the info i posted there here.

+++

CFCA then 180 Bi-Turbo ( is that the EU5 with no adblue?)

+++++

could be worth a quick look here:

+++

Common Problems​

The Transporter CFCA engine suffers with a problem with the EGR cooler (Google search CFCA EGR cooler, you'll find plenty of information!)

Before carrying out any tuning work we would recommend a compression test to ensure the engine is healthy, unless you are aware of the issue and have already taken preventative measures.

Compression Specifications:

Normal - 362 – 450 PSI
Min – 275 PSI
Maximum difference between cylinders – 75 PSI

We are now only offering tuning on the CFCA engines after a compression test has been carried out. We can offer this service from £150+ VAT on top of the tuning prices. (You would need to book in with us in advance)

Generally, our customers request us to remove the EGR cooler, blank the EGR and the remove the DPF to stop the DPF from becoming blocked. This is done to prevent irreversible damage caused by the CFCA EGR cooler failing.

Later Transporter 204bhp/199bhp and Amarok engines do not have the same EGR issues so we do not require a compression test before tuning.

++++

+++++

"Thanks it just feels like a gun against the head I do think I’m looking at the new engine and drive away with a “new” van the quote is showing replacing CFCA with CFCA so is that not just buying the same problem?"

- if the original problrm was the EGR failing, before revision D.

then you could assume that a NEW engine with a REV D or later EGR cooler would NOT have the same problems down the road - as VW have seen the problem a made revisions to fix the problem.

BUT,

If you replace with USED engine with an unknown history . . . then you may have the same problems later on.

are the CFCA blocks available from VW anymore? - or are the all recons these days?

no idea, though Darskide seem to imply that they are available, but its going to cost £12k for the full new engine with labour!

===

Too Late?​

For those not so lucky to catch it early, we now offer a full brand new genuine CFCA engine swap service. This is ideal for those happy to keep the van in its original spec. We can still offer our usual tuning and modifications but for obvious reasons this would void all warranty on the new parts.

This service comes complete with the following brand new parts needed to meet the requirments for the 2 year warranty;

Genuine VW Engine (exchange engine = we will require to send your old engine back to VW) complete with the following brand new parts;
  • Pistons
  • Con Rods
  • Crankshaft
  • Oil Pump
  • Oil Sump
  • Engine Speed Sensor
  • EGR Valve / Cooler
  • Oil Cooler
  • Cylinder Head
  • Valves
  • Camshafts
  • Injectors
  • Glow Plugs
  • Vacuum Pump
Genuine VW DPF / Diesel Particulate Filter (exchange = we will require to send your old DPF back to VW)
Borgwarner Complete Turbocharger Unit
Genuine VW O2 / Oxygen Sensor
Genuine VW Thermostat
Genuine VW Cambelt Kit & Water Pump
Genuine VW Oil Filter
Genuine VW Fuel Filter
Genuine VW Air Filter
Any related / required Nuts / Bolts / Clamps / Gaskets

2WD Price for parts - £8500 + VAT
4WD Price for parts - £9800 + VAT
Price for Labour Front Wheel Drive - £1950 + VAT
Price for Labour 4 Wheel Drive - £2,100 + VAT
Total:
FWD - £10,450 + VAT / £12,540 Inc VAT
4WD - £11,900 + VAT / £14,280 Inc VAT
(All prices correct as of Feb 2024 - Subject to change)

**Please note, when swapping the engines on these vehicles, other parts are required to be removed. We can not always guarantee that some of these parts will be easily removed, and normally some parts may have become seized. This may result in further parts and labour costs if these parts cannot be salvaged**

@B.different , Which company refurbished your engine?
I have the CXEB as I mentioned above, and I was worried about the bore wear issue. Following an oil analysis by Miller Oils, there seems to be no evidence of particulate in the oil, but the turbo is definitely not right. I'm planning to pull the lump out and have the turbo refurbished, and fix up the EGR and DPF before refitting the engine. Currently not reckoning to refurb the engine...
Any more of your story would be welcome
@UVW_T6 see here for the CEXB 204 EU6 Turbo/Engine failure specific thread, - - 204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB T6 Engine & Turbo problems -

Well, finally, the engine is being fitted and had a look around the old engine before it goes back. Oh my god, I can't believe the amount of damage it has caused. It's buggered the turbo, crank seal bearings, and everything else that oil has come in contact with. But the crazy thing is it drove lovely used no oil or hardly anything so to the unsuspecting person it was OK. Only the occasional puff of smoke when setting off and the odd oil drips made me delve deeper. Can't wait to drive it because if it drove great like that, it should be amazing when done. Just not looking forward to the bill even at mates rates. Here's a picture of the Inlet and my poor vanView attachment 250047View attachment 250048View attachment 250046
you got your van back yet?

you got your van back yet?
Yeah had an issue that it snapped exhaust clamp on the way home but after that was fixed what a difference. Was going to get the gearbox mapped before because of the lazy shifting, but now with the extra mid range power I don't think I need to. The engine is loosening up with every 100 miles and feels more smooth, but the big plus is the mpg. I'm getting at least 10mpg more which is amazing as I've never seen 30s before ever usually 21-24 even on a run. I just thought it is what it is being non aero dynamic, heavy caravelle, dsg and 4motion.

Likewise, just got mine back following the turbo refurb (two new cores) EGR blank and DPF delete, plus remap including stage 1. It's such a treat to drive now, and already seeing better MPG! Can't believe the difference!
Looking forward to a long drive next weekend to put it through its paces. :)

Likewise, just got mine back following the turbo refurb (two new cores) EGR blank and DPF delete, plus remap including stage 1. It's such a treat to drive now, and already seeing better MPG! Can't believe the difference!
Looking forward to a long drive next weekend to put it through its paces. :)
How do you find it smoke wise with dpf gone? And is it loud?, and does it make like an owl noise like the pd engine did?

I haven't noticed any owl noises, or it being any louder... bearing in mind that previously the turbo squealed if you gave it some welly, it's a lot quieter now!! LOL! I did notice a bit of smoke when I really dumped the accelerator up a sliproad and pulling hard - it was the first time I'd really booted it since the work, so maybe just a bit of a clear-out.
Might be able to offer a better overall review after the weekend.

Update following a weekend of driving - around 350 miles probably, including taking 7 people and outdoor gear out to Wales - and it's been a dream to drive. I have occasionally noticed a bit of dark smoke as you pull away, which is probably over-fulling due to the re-map (comments on this assumption welcomed).
Now getting a steady 30mpg (+/- a bit) if driven carefully including motorway, A-roads and town driving combo. It purrs when cruising and pulls when you need it = happy driver!

Back