2017 204 - DPF Filter at 60g soot above 50g forced regen limit

if the van has been driven around with a blocked dpf , would this cause the egr system to build up with carbon / coke / soot etc
Might be the other way around according to this thread.

by the way is there any guides on here for how to remove the egr valve from a t6, as this looks like the next job to do

Try the search. I'm sure I've seen something on the forum but can't recall which post.

Found it. Vw T6 102 EGR swap

drove it today to supermarket about 2 miles, came back and the engine light on
Which light - flashing coil or the emission light?

2 faults have poped up relating to the egr system
As the faults are sporadic I'd ignore them for a moment because now soot and ash values have been reset. It takes awhile for the ECU to get them adapted correctly. Chances are that the DPF doesn't quite equal to a brand new, thus ECU might be confused as the exhaust flow values doesn't match what it's expecting to see and might take awhile to adjust to new/current situation.

Before tearing down the EGR I would verify first - that the DPF regeneration is working correctly.
Please post the following from ODIS
IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration​
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated​
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured​
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration​
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration​
IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass​

what is the difference between load measured and load calculated??
I don't know about "measured" value - a funny thing is that it has also negative values on T6 EU6 engines - ranges approx. -5 g...+3.7 g
DPF regeneration process is definitely based on the "Calculated" value - I believe your engine triggers the DPF regeneration process when the value reaches 24.0 grams.

@Broadside
That VAG DPF app looks good, even tho my engine code is not listed i will give it a try, looks idea for plugging into the van when driving done to motorway to monitor the sensors
For your engine - group 15 is a good match.

DPF regeneration process is definitely based on the "Calculated" value - I believe your engine triggers the DPF regeneration process when the value reaches 24.0 grams.
The calculated was still showing at 60 after the DPF was flushed so unless this has come down to under 50 in the last couple of days a regen wont happen.
Is there a way to alter this value so it matches the measured value?
Deffo need to see the latest soot levels as requested by @mmi before going forward.

Reactions: mmi
Is there a way to alter this value so it matches the measured value?
(1) I would try function "IDE09005-New adaptation of measured soot value" under Basic settings.

(2) Also would be useful to verify in the Adaptations that DPF regeneration is not blocked
1643459569523.png

(3) Then I would be tempted to trigger "IDE01637-Service regeneration of DPF while driving" under Basic Settings.
An example of the latter here:​

However, as the ODIS is meant to be user friendly, many of the "raw/low level" functionalities are chained to "Guide Fault Finding" -procedures.

If it helps, not long ago I have the dreaded dpf fault and engine light on. The guy that helped me with vcds, changed the oil soot value from 40g to 0 and run a regen. From 24g calculated, came down to about 5g and the negative one came down from -9g to -4g. Mine is a different issue, I had egr cooler leaking into exhaust, and glycol stoped regen and throwing dpf faults.

0A45C8A6-EF51-49A6-B989-D21505039A8D.jpeg

D03C5DEA-E4D0-435D-9014-DEEC52C83478.jpeg

7615474D-4BAE-4C83-B5C4-B5E5DBDA7CD2.jpeg

@mmi here are the requested values

Please post the following from ODIS
IDE00432 Particle filter: time since last regeneration
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured
IDE00436 Particle filter: kilometers since last regeneration
IDE01407 Particle filter: fuel consumption since last regeneration
IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass
ash-values1.jpeg

note: after cleaning and refitting i did apadpt the dpf values , ( guessing they where all reset to zero at this time )

heres also details of the egr fault

egr-fault.jpeg

i have just reset the 2 egr related faults and they clear, and then when you start the van up again only this P046C00 code reappears

of note, when i first refitted the dpf after cleaning and went threw the steps to do a regen, we got back a soot value of 32.2g which i posted before

now after a short drive around up and down a dual carrageway and trip to the supermarket ( when the engine light came on ), no more then 5 miles or so we have a very much lower soot value showing on odis 7.6g ( does this mean i got most of the soot out, or the van needs a much longer drive around so the values can adjust and seetle down?? )

now after clearing the codes, turn off, start back up there is no engine light on, but the P046C00 code is on the fault list when doing a scan

@mmi here are the requested values
Thank you. Looks good - a DPF soot statistics look now normal.
soot value showing on odis 7.6g ( does this mean i got most of the soot out, or the van needs a much longer drive around so the values can adjust and seetle down?? )
The ODIS Soot mass measured (now 7.6 grams) is just an estimate and will increase approx. at rate 1 gram/6-8 miles. When it reaches 24.0 grams the next DPF regeneration is triggered - thus approx. 120...150 miles to go now (depending how the van is driven, of course). I would expect we need to see a few DPF regen cycles how the things are.
Perhaps you could make another snapshot after some driving (60...90 miles).

now after clearing the codes, turn off, start back up there is no engine light on, but the P046C00 code is on the fault list when doing a scan
There is an "Output test" for the EGR - "IDE00242-EGR Valve" which runs the EGR valve into several positions. By monitoring/comparing the measured values for "commanded/specified" value (IDE07756) vs. actual value (IDE07757) should tell if the valve does/doesn't respond properly.

Below the test graphed - just 30 seconds here - the square is the desired position, the circle is the actual position.

1643479217401.png

where do i find the IDE00242-EGR Valve output test ??

is your example from vcds or odis???

do i need to right click ''0001 engine electronics'' then click ''Guided functions'', then click ''Read measured values''
NEW-1-WHERE.jpeg
NEW-1-WHERE2.jpeg

i just could not find the IDE00242 entry anywhere
NEW-1-WHERE4.jpeg

there is some sort of test for the Exhaust gas recirculation vavle 1 - GX5

NEW-1-WHERE3.jpeg

that seemed to run threw a 30 secound process then asked if you obsevered anything, but there was not any clicking or anything comming from engine etc, i was aware of hearing

where is the test you pointed out located in odis, it is actually under the engine electronics section??

i just run the van down the motorway for 20 miles and it seemed fine, but on returning home , turning off and on again we still get both the P0401 and P046C codes

updated values
NEW-1-ASHVALUES.jpeg

where do i find the IDE00242-EGR Valve output test ??

is your example from vcds or odis???
The designation "IDE00242-EGR Valve" is as it's shown in VCDS under Output tests.

there is some sort of test for the Exhaust gas recirculation vavle 1 - GX5
I believe this is the same one in ODIS - as well as the others below also have counterparts in VCDS
1643494498574.png

that seemed to run threw a 30 secound process then asked if you obsevered anything, but there was not clicking or anything comming from engine etc, i was aware of

where is the test you pointed out located in odis, it is actually under the engine electronics section??
Yes, the same test. I think there should be (not very loud though) "whirrs" every few seconds during the test.

I have a faint memory that also ODIS could show measurement values (e.g IDE07756 and IDE07757) during the test. Can you set up the measurement "tab", then move to start the test and move back to measurement "tab"?

i just run the van down the motorway for 20 miles and it seemed fine, but on returning home , turning off and on again we still get both the P0401 and P046C codes

updated values
Yes, the soot accumulation rate looks normal :thumbsup:

Difficult to say if the faults are real ones or partially "ghosts" because ECU has been (dis)informed about the new DPF. Certainly cleaning the EGR + EGR cooler wouldn't hurt.
Or perhaps let it now settle for a couple of hundred miles?

the only problem i have got with this is that the fault codes remain in place , could or would these stop the van from doing regens automaticly

when i ran the test for ''Exhaust gas recirculation valve 1 - GX5'' all it seemed to conclude with was a question asking did the value appear to function (yes/no)

i will try that test again tomorrow and be at the front of the van under the bonnet actually listening right on the egr valve for the whirs and whistles etc and also look to see if i overlooked the measurement tab on that test

i think its looking like i will have to just remove the egr assembly and give it a good clean, hoping to see a blockages / carbon build up / or stuck valve at the root cause of this

there are TPI's on erwin about these 2 fault codes togetherCapture-3.JPG

Capture-4.JPG

Capture-2.JPG

Last edited:
For clarity, you should use a new topic for the egr fault, so as not to confuse readers following the dpf issue.

EDIT: Ignore that, I just reread the thread as I thought the EGR was a new issue.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to keep all related to this engine together for now - until all the issues are resolved.

i was thinking it could all be related

1) if the egr valve did coke up first and throw some errors, this then stopped the van from doing regens leading to the dpf being blocked then the actions of fixing it started

2) there is nothing wrong with the egr valve and its a simple dpf blockage and the adapted values of the dpf after refitting are causing the egr errors to pop up

i think we are only going to find out with further investgation into this, so in fact there all related

i did sign up to erwin for a day and got all the related workshop instructions to this, and its does not look that hard to actually remove the egr valve and cooler assembely, i did also actually buy a brand new egr coooler kit on ebay very cheap, so i am hoping i get to use it to

I also have the P046C00 fault on my 204 together with the coil light plus another fault - egr excessive flow.

During research I found some posts somewhere from Loz saying the P046C00 fault is a spurious warning and can be ignored but I'm not fully convinced as it's ambient temp related in my case.

For me the P046C00 appears first then after a few weeks the excessive/insufficient flow appears.

I gave up trying to DIY as my obd11 can't display what has actually triggered the fault so it's going to the garage on weds. Will update if I find out more regarding the sensor fault.

i was thinking it could all be related

1) if the egr valve did coke up first and throw some errors, this then stopped the van from doing regens leading to the dpf being blocked then the actions of fixing it started

2) there is nothing wrong with the egr valve and its a simple dpf blockage and the adapted values of the dpf after refitting are causing the egr errors to pop up

i think we are only going to find out with further investgation into this, so in fact there all related

i did sign up to erwin for a day and got all the related workshop instructions to this, and its does not look that hard to actually remove the egr valve and cooler assembely, i did also actually buy a brand new egr coooler kit on ebay very cheap, so i am hoping i get to use it to
We don't know the full logic of the co-operation between EGR and DPF, but theoretically, the ECU may not allow DPF regen if it thinks the EGR valve is not closed and the risk of shooting up the EGR.
Therefore are you confident that the EGR valve measures closed properly?

i have just removed the egr cooler assembly from the van

i did download the erwin workshop instructions for this which made the job quite straight forward, the only thing i would say is the workshop guide misses out removal of the lower metal pipe bracket large torx bolt which sits at the top of the gearbox, freeing up the metal coolant pipe that runs underneath the egr cooler, which 1 of the 3 bolts sits behind

by the looks of the cooler is is very blocked with crap, i could scoop out carbon slug / deposits with a screw driver after removing the front long pipe!!

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 19.28.09.jpeg

cooler-1.jpeg

manifold1.jpeg

manifold2.jpeg

nanifold-pip2.jpeg

i do have a brand new cooler part - EGR Cooler Repair Set 04L198512

so i do not need to try to clean out the cooler which seems to be the most blocked part

by the look of the cooler, we can hope the restriction was causing the errors to pop up for the flow threw it

the thing i am worring about is the P046C00 EGR SENSOR A Circuit range / performance error, Would this type of blockage cause that fault or could there be a problem with the actual egr electric motor part of the egr that actuates the egr vale opening and closing???

in the workshop manual it says to replace when refitting

1) Renew nuts and studs
2) Renew exhaust gas recirculation pipes following removal

do we really need to renew the front / back exhaust gas recirculation pipes, mine look in good condition, it makes sense to do the studs and nuts, making the assembly alot easier, and i did snap off the end of one of the studs 5mm removal tip

does anyone no the part numbers for these items listed below
parts.png

Last edited:
Probably included in part 2 if not tagged separately.

i have just removed the egr cooler assembly from the van

i did download the erwin workshop instructions for this which made the job quite straight forward, the only thing i would say is the workshop guide misses out removal of the lower metal pipe bracket large torx bolt which sits at the top of the gearbox, freeing up the metal coolant pipe that runs underneath the egr cooler, which 1 of the 3 bolts sits behind

by the looks of the cooler is is very blocked with crap, i could scoop out carbon slug / deposits with a screw driver after removing the front long pipe!!

View attachment 144416

View attachment 144412

View attachment 144413

View attachment 144414

View attachment 144415

i do have a brand new cooler part - EGR Cooler Repair Set 04L198512

so i do not need to try to clean out the cooler which seems to be the most blocked part

by the look of the cooler, we can hope the restriction was causing the errors to pop up for the flow threw it

the thing i am worring about is the P046C00 EGR SENSOR A Circuit range / performance error, Would this type of blockage cause that fault or could there be a problem with the actual egr electric motor part of the egr that actuates the egr vale opening and closing???

in the workshop manual it says to replace when refitting

1) Renew nuts and studs
2) Renew exhaust gas recirculation pipes following removal

do we really need to renew the front / back exhaust gas recirculation pipes, mine look in good condition, it makes sense to do the studs and nuts, making the assembly alot easier, and i did snap off the end of one of the studs 5mm removal tip

does anyone no the part numbers for these items listed below
View attachment 144417
How long did it take to remove the valve?

@Fluff34567 it did not take that long a good half a day , mostly messing about trying to get at the fiddly bolts, some you need like baby hands or double jointed fingers to get to

i have got it all back together now, purchased a few new bolts and gaskets from tps it all came to roughly £100 ish to do it all in, including the new cooler which i sourced on ebay , ( trying to clean the old cooler out would take days flushing )

i did start it up and run it awhile to check for leaks etc, will double check everything tomorrow

the egr fault code P046C is still there, i was hoping that on clearing it it would not return on the next on/off cycle, but it has

Bad luck m8. Looks like you may have been right to suspect that error relates to the valve.

Back