- 204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB T6 Engine & Turbo problems -

Well just read this and that's it I'm selling up. So stressed out now with everything above to come. Anyone want a T6?
The recent posts, this one included, are making me feel exactly the same!

Every time my 78k mile 2017 CXEB pops, farts, or squeaks i'm getting the fear that it will be a £15k bill! I've got a regen issue that i'm trying to work through, and am hopeful it is a sensor issue, but in the back of my mind i'm thinking should i trade in and cut my losses.

Are there any trouble free CXEB owners out there or are we all driving around ticking time bombs?

2017. Just about to hit 30k miles. Oil change every year. Consumption very low. Only do about 5k per year but nearly all long runs.
well for the engine wear you need about 80k> miles,

and turbo wear about 100-150k miles.

so at those low mileages, nothing to worry about for a good few years. . .

But as a 2017, 204, CXEB - you are in the date range for the TPI.

keep a close eye on the oil use between services.

+++++

at your usage, in another 7 years (2031) you will only be at 60K. . . so still 20k short of the 80K marker.

The recent posts, this one included, are making me feel exactly the same!

Every time my 78k mile 2017 CXEB pops, farts, or squeaks i'm getting the fear that it will be a £15k bill! I've got a regen issue that i'm trying to work through, and am hopeful it is a sensor issue, but in the back of my mind i'm thinking should i trade in and cut my losses.

Are there any trouble free CXEB owners out there or are we all driving around ticking time bombs?
yes, there are a few in the trouble free list, but they all seem to be sub 80K miles, except @Bigsidavies whos is at 135k.

Last edited:
List of members effected.

@Tourershine - New Bi-turbo, DPF,

@RunDSG 2017 - New Bi-turbo, DPF,

@Dellmassive 2018 - awaiting results

@robbidoo - New Bi-turbo,

@Andnik - - New Bi-turbo,

@Malcs - - New Bi-turbo,

@MikeyBeeT6 - New Bi-turbo,?

@Sparkyis - New Bi-turbo,, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor,

@WinFreak - New Bi-turbo, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor,

@deleted member - - New Long Block Engine, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor,

@Steve8n9 - New Long Block Engine, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor,

@driftingaway - New Long Block Engine, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor,

@boxbark - New Long Block Engine,

@WolvesVW 2017 - New Long Block Engine, DPF, CAT, Lamda sensor, ( + DMF ) ( Turbo recond)

@vww - ?

@lexhorton 2017 - Turbo?

@Jonp40210 - new turbo?

@bp_porcaro - 2016 204 DSG diagnosed with low compression (17 bar) and oil use about 1 ltr every 1700 miles. Not fixed yet

@UVW_T6 - 2017 - new turbo, EGR blanked, DPF removed, mapped to delete DPF, EGR, AdBlue and Stage 1 boost.

if you have been a victim, drop a mention here and ill add you to the list:
new BI Turbo but still in limp mode ongoing issues

I very much doubt they will do a compression test on the engine, as you need to strip the top half down. ( to get to the Glowpugs and do the compression test. . . and risk a plug getting stuck and snapping)

They wont do that..... All they may do, is offer you an extended warranty to give you some piece of mind . maybe extend the 6mth offered to 12mnths?

apart from that you have the VW ALL-IN package.. . . but that's for upto 6yrs old.

Thanks Dell, I read a lot of your threads on here so appreciate the reply. It’s 2016 so doesn’t qualify for the all in warranty package as over 6 years old. We’d do circa 10k a year in it so even if we had 12 months warranty we’d be sitting at 40k on the clock and these issues might not rear their head within warranty period.
Honestly, if that was me, not a chance I'd touch an early T6 with the 204 BiTdi engine. Low miles might also indicate it's been used for short runs, which aren't good for the engines. It might have been used as a second car and only done 4 trips a year on holiday, but you can't know that really.

The ONLY way I'd touch a 204/199 BiTdi would be in a 2022/23/24 T6.1 - ie the newest possible.

a 2016 204 BiTdi is just a ticking time bomb. The potential of bankrupting repair bills is too great.
Thanks for the reply Paul,

Honestly my mind is now thinking along these lines of walking away from the deal. 2016 van with the right options and mileage at 29k for £27k did seem like a “unicorn” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

whats the van spec, year, miles, engine code etc etc
Just seen this thread, wish i would have known the issues before buying.....

however here goes...

Bought from vanstation (wouldnt buy a wheel barrow from them again)

2017 t6 204bhp 76k miles

within 100 miles limp mode and diagnosed as small turbo snapped shaft, and bits gone into large turbo and damaged that too

turbo removed sent to turbo technics who couldnt do it no parts, however midland turbo repaired it £971

new turbo fitted goes well, however within a week limp mode again, also noticed no boost below 2000rpm

now it looks although its had an adblue delete and this wont allow the limp mode faults to show on vcds or on the van.

I've no idea of the history of the van and dont know if its had an egr delete too?

so im stuck now trying to diagnose my fault with no error codes.

Just seen this thread, wish i would have known the issues before buying.....

however here goes...

Bought from vanstation (wouldnt buy a wheel barrow from them again)

2017 t6 204bhp 76k miles

within 100 miles limp mode and diagnosed as small turbo snapped shaft, and bits gone into large turbo and damaged that too

turbo removed sent to turbo technics who couldnt do it no parts, however midland turbo repaired it £971

new turbo fitted goes well, however within a week limp mode again, also noticed no boost below 2000rpm

now it looks although its had an adblue delete and this wont allow the limp mode faults to show on vcds or on the van.

I've no idea of the history of the van and dont know if its had an egr delete too?

so im stuck now trying to diagnose my fault with no error codes.

2017 t6 204bhp 76k miles - thats in the region of the TPI. ( for high oil usage and engine wear)

not good that you had a failed turbo at 70k odd. - wonder what caused that? - poor servicing?

but sounds like its been messed about with the Adblue delete. . . does the adblue level not go down?

ho did you know its has the adblue delete?

they normally do the DPF delete as well, with the Ablue. . .

and as for the EGR , , , who knows.

you can have the van ECU flashed back to stock . . . that will maybe help you to start sorting out your unknown issues.

2017 t6 204bhp 76k miles - thats in the region of the TPI. ( for high oil usage and engine wear)

not good that you had a failed turbo at 70k odd. - wonder what caused that? - poor servicing?

but sounds like its been messed about with the Adblue delete. . . does the adblue level not go down?

ho did you know its has the adblue delete?

they normally do the DPF delete as well, with the Ablue. . .

and as for the EGR , , , who knows.

you can have the van ECU flashed back to stock . . . that will maybe help you to start sorting out your unknown issues.

the adblue has 3 lines showing instead of miles, i have filled the tank with 8 liters of add blue but no difference, van still runs but shows no miles
have been advised it could well be deleted

the adblue has 3 lines showing instead of miles, i have filled the tank with 8 liters of add blue but no difference, van still runs but shows no miles
have been advised it could well be deleted
Likely mate. Mine is deleted and that’s what it shows.

Likely mate. Mine is deleted and that’s what it shows.
when you had the AB deleted, what did they do with the DPF? - open up and turn into through pipe?

and have you still got a working EGR?

when you had the AB deleted, what did they do with the DPF? - open up and turn into through pipe?

and have you still got a working EGR?
Dpf left in situ, though if I’m honest that will get deleted if it gives up the ghost. Primarily left in place due to obvious MOT concerns

New EGR June 23, coded out but not plated out.

Dpf left in situ, though if I’m honest that will get deleted if it gives up the ghost. Primarily left in place due to obvious MOT concerns

I was under the impression that with the AB delete you had to smash through the DPF... Or it will just clog as there is no way of burning off the soot.

I was under the impression that with the AB delete you had to smash through the DPF... Or it will just clog as there is no way of burning off the soot.
I had the same concern but was assured by the tuner it would regen as before. I believe this is because adblue injection is post dpf?

I’ve been monitoring it on the dpf app, though the frequency is less than desirable when it does regen, the soot mass does drop to the required value.

Can I ask what the reason for the AB delete in the first place?

This article implies that the DPF can clear itself.

And the AB if just used to reduce nitrous oxide etc ..

So maybe you can delete the AB without effecting the DPF performance?

Can I ask what the reason for the AB delete in the first place?
It was on recommendation from the tuner, a very a reputable one. I went for a EGR delete, engine and DSG map.

But instead left with a start/stop, adblue and EGR delete and the dsg map. Left the engine map due to the uncertainty of my turbo.

I’m afraid I can’t give any more information than that, forgive my ignorance!

Back