- 204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB T6 Engine & Turbo problems -

Hi all,

Not posted much on this forum since I purchased my 2016 T6 204 CXEB in 2018 since it's been pretty trouble free since, however, in the last couple of years the oil consumption has gone pretty high and I just had an oil consumption test done and it's pretty bad news.

The van has done 62,000 miles (100,000km), and the oil consumption is measuring at 0.6 litres per 1000km, above VW's threshold of 0.5 litres per 1000km.

The VW dealership are recommending a new engine, and they've quoted me £17,800 for parts, labour and VAT.

I'm not a petrolhead, I don't know the underlying cause of the problem and I'm still speaking to the garage on this matter, but I do know that I'm now stuck with a vehicle that's worthless without a new engine, and the VW dealership are saying VW are very unlikely to contribute towards the cost. The van has been serviced every year with an official VW dealership since I bought it, and followed the VW schedule to the letter.

Having been reading this forum a lot recently with all the different members suffering pretty similar problems, I am curious whether anyone has managed to get VW to contribute anything towards the costs of replacement, when the van is out of warranty?
Of you have no warranty cover then you can try to contact VW and ask for help.

They may offer 50/50 if you moan enough.

Apart from that, you can try and get a local indy to fit a crash damaged vans CXEC engine as a swap. But don't go for a CEXB as a replacement.

Probably more like £8k.....

Is the CXEC engine a "revised" version of the CXEB, or is it an entirely different engine? (i.e. does a CXEC fit into a van that has previously had a CXEB).

Not 100% sure.

But the CXEC is the newer version that was introduced in 2019, and it's still biturbo, but it's only 199ps.

And from a guy on here that fitted one it has different injectors and a inlet manifold.

But more info is defo needed.

I've just picked up the van, the dealership were pretty much stonewalling because I was loudly complaining that it's a piss take that a 62k mile diesel engine needed replacing at such a high cost, everyone in the dealership was just staring at the ground (it's not really their fault, I didn't buy it from them, and ultimately they're not VW themselves).

The quote I've got back lists £7871.00 for a "stock base engine (long block)", £1440.00 for a Catalytic converter, £1845.00 for a diesel particulate filter and £295 for a lambda sensor, then there's a further three pages worth of odds and sods like washers, gaskets, bolts, etc. The labour is quote at £2070.00. All the prices then need VAT adding on, on top of that.

I asked about this CXEB vs CXEC thing because the question I asked at the dealership of "will this replacement engine be like-for-like?" seemed to be met with a "yes", and that suggests they're just going to be fitting another engine that can potentially just have the same problems in the next few years - the engine, it turns out, has a 2-year warranty only, so basically if the problem repeats again within a few years, I'm totally screwed.

I will need to go and speak to VW care and see if they can help in any way - at present I'm unsure of the benefit of spending the above amount of cash for something that could just repeat itself within a few years, what a bizarre situation to be in.

The cxeb block and pistons etc were revised apparently in 2019.

So the assumption is if you have a later cxeb engine most likely from 2019 onwards then you should be okay.

But as we know the cxec engine come out in 2019.

As an example one of my buddies on here CZ mate ordered and paid for a 204PS van but when it actually arrived it was a 199PS van. So he's 2019 van has a cxec engine in it.

One guy on here actually swapped out the cxec long block into a cxeb engine fan.

He mentioned that most parts were exactly the same apart from injectors and inlet manifold and possibly the EGR as well.

I think he's LinkedIn above.

At the minute I'm having the engine replaced under the all-in warranty package from Volkswagen so all being well it's not going to cost me anything...... I was also worried about having the like for like fitted.

So I don't know whether I am going to get a revised cxeb engine or if I'm going to get a CX EC engine?

And I've also asked for a price for a new turbo, and I don't know if the turbos are exactly the same part number for a cxec and a cxeb engine?

Hi could you give me some more details about how the issue first came about and what you are actually saying to VW?

How much was the oil test?
Hi
First sign of the issue was back in may 2022 when it for the first time requested oil beyond the yearly oil changes.
It was only 7 months into the period then which raised my eyebrows..
From then on been asked by the car to check (add) oil more and more often.
The dealer knew of the issue, mentioning a new engine as the cure, but also told me about the >0,5l/1000km mark.

From may 2023 I´ve been logging it more thoroughly to get a clearer picture of the oil consumption.
That has showed me that the oil consumption now increases to the point mentioned in my original post when driving longer trips.
Recently traveled almost 2000 on 1 liter oil due to almost only smaller trips.

Out of the 1290km traveled during the consumption test period at least the 1000km was longer trips (150km and beyond.)..

Besides the oil use currently no other issues noticed.
Changed the glow plugs last December, but no idea whether that could have any connection

For now I haven´t been invoiced for the test. Actually think I wont ...

Raised the kulance claim now fearfully awaiting the response.
Hoping the best fearing the worst.

Any more questions or details of interest let me know.

/Peter

Hi
First sign of the issue was back in may 2022 when it for the first time requested oil beyond the yearly oil changes.
It was only 7 months into the period then which raised my eyebrows..
From then on been asked by the car to check (add) oil more and more often.
The dealer knew of the issue, mentioning a new engine as the cure, but also told me about the >0,5l/1000km mark.

From may 2023 I´ve been logging it more thoroughly to get a clearer picture of the oil consumption.
That has showed me that the oil consumption now increases to the point mentioned in my original post when driving longer trips.
Recently traveled almost 2000 on 1 liter oil due to almost only smaller trips.

Out of the 1290km traveled during the consumption test period at least the 1000km was longer trips (150km and beyond.)..

Besides the oil use currently no other issues noticed.
Changed the glow plugs last December, but no idea whether that could have any connection

For now I haven´t been invoiced for the test. Actually think I wont ...

Raised the kulance claim now fearfully awaiting the response.
Hoping the best fearing the worst.

Any more questions or details of interest let me know.

/Peter
That is defo the first sign.

The oil light coming on mid service.

And at ever increasing frequency.

The.most.important thing to do is document everything.... Ie the millage and the top-up amount.

This was crucial in my case proving from my (the customer) side that there was an issue. And making the garage aware that I knew if the problem with early cxeb engines, and the TPI above.

Then it was just a case of following the VW book diagnostics....

Oil weight test. (0.5l / 1000km)

Then a compression test. (Mine was a fail at 15bar over all four cylinders) (Fail.point is 18bar. Normal is 25-30bar)

Then possibly a cylinder bore measurement.

The.most.important thing to do is document everything.... Ie the millage and the top-up amount.

This was crucial in my case proving from my (the customer) side that there was an issue. And making the garage aware that I knew if the problem with early cxeb engines, and the TPI above.

Then a compression test. (Mine was a fail at 15bar over all four cylinders) (Fail.point is 18bar. Normal is 25-30bar)

What's the latest with yours now Dellmassive, have you got it back with new engine yet?

Lol.... Not yet.

Had an email from the garage yesterday saying engine has been ordered.... But some parts are on back order.

We still working out cost for a new turbo as well.

So, it's a slow process.......

Do we know what is considered normal oil consumption for this engine ?

Do we know what is considered normal oil consumption for this engine ?
Normal imho,

After running these vans is...

One oil top-up bottle (1ltr) midway between a long life service interval as per the dash display, which is 18,000miles on a long life schedule.

So, 1L per 18k miles.

Which is first service with new oil on 50% of dipstick,... Then midpoint 9k miles later dipstick at bottom so add 1L oil to take to top of dipstick, then 9k miles later next service due..... At which point the oil will be back to 50% oil level.

So assumed use of 1L per 18k miles.

Or

0.5L per 9k miles.

Wear limit is 0.5L per 1000km (621miles) - if you use less, your good.(According to VW)

If you use more you have a problem. It's either leaking via the turbo bearing or in cylinder via bore wear.

Sorry to hear of your issues guys and keeping my fingers crossed for you Dellmassive.

Knowing about some of these issues, I have been really concerned since purchasing my CXEB EU6 204 BiTurbo 4Motion 2018 last December, now on 41,700mls
It went into RR yesterday for EGR blank/delete, DPF delete, Ad Blue delete. I am hoping this may save me some of these awful issues further down the road. I am low mileage user but will be monitoring the oil consumption carefully now and keeping a spreadsheet. At present I am not aware of any issues but will get an Oil Analysis done next few months and then a Compression Test. Will update with results.
You took it to Rolls Royce, did you take a wrong turn somewhere!

Are the CFEC (T6.1?) 199ps motors a safe buy? You’d hope the evolution from the T5 CFCA through to a 2020+ model CFEC and years of learning t would be sorted now.

Normal imho,

After running these vans is...

One oil top-up bottle (1ltr) midway between a long life service interval as per the dash display, which is 18,000miles on a long life schedule.

So, 1L per 18k miles.

Which is first service with new oil on 50% of dipstick,... Then midpoint 9k miles later dipstick at bottom so add 1L oil to take to top of dipstick, then 9k miles later next service due..... At which point the oil will be back to 50% oil level.

So assumed use of 1L per 18k miles.

Or

0.5L per 9k miles.

Wear limit is 0.5L per 1000km (621miles) - if you use less, your good.(According to VW)

If you use more you have a problem. It's either leaking via the turbo bearing or in cylinder via bore wear.
What, so 1Ltr of oil after 1,500 miles is not good…
Yup, I am another one. 204 DSG (2018) 4 motion 60k. ☹️

Back