A comfy nights sleep? Help

TheGrapeEscape

@The.Grape.Escape.T6 Instagram
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

So, we're currently in Cornwall on our third trip away in the van, but we're waking up broken, I genuinely feel like I've fallen out of a plane onto a bed of nails.

We have a rock n roll bed (comfy to sit on) and purchased a mattress topper from Dunelm which is 6.5cm big, so not as thin as a duvelay or whatever.

Any idea how to make it comfier?

Mark

Screenshot_20240825_115036_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240825_115025_Gallery.jpg

Hi All,

So, we're currently in Cornwall on our third trip away in the van, but we're waking up broken, I genuinely feel like I've fallen out of a plane onto a bed of nails.

We have a rock n roll bed (comfy to sit on) and purchased a mattress topper from Dunelm which is 6.5cm big, so not as thin as a duvelay or whatever.

Mark

View attachment 256510View attachment 256511
What’s making it uncomfortable? Too hard, too lumpy, too soft?

If it’s too lumpy then maybe some foam bits in the low parts to even it out, rather than simply a thicker topper which will still follow the contours and have firm/soft areas.

If it’s too hard then try another topper on the one you have. Our RnR is very flat when in bed mode and is pretty comfortable even without a topper, but we do use a 2.5cm Duvalay with fitted sheet to give added cushiness and instead of trying to fit a separate sheet.

We've had the same issue and just splashed out on a mattress from these guys...

It's an expensive option, but is hard to overestimate the value of a good night's sleep.

A review will be incoming on 5 Sept, as we go away with it on 4th (hopefully, if it arrives in time).

Drink more, then you won't notice the uncomfortable bed. :rofl: :thumbsup:

But seriously, wot ginkster said, is it too hard, too soft, or too lumpy? Is the van level? A slight lean and feeling like you're constantly rolling out of bed can be annoying!

I had the same issue but got an inflatable mattress. No problem since and it packs away smaller than a topper.

As a cheap potential fix and worth a try on my opinion would be to layout a few fleece blankets. I also found caravan 'beds' quite uncomfortable but the fleeces seemed to help... There's nothing worse!

Reactions: CAB
Hi All,

Mark

View attachment 256510View attachment 256511
I was in exactly the same boat. I’ve had discs removed form my back and have 2 sets of vertebrae fused together in my neck from operations.
I’d bought a mattress topper like you but would wake up stiff and broken.
What I ended up doing was buying a chunk of 4” memory foam then I fitted it perfectly into the side shape of my van and right up to the back doors. I bought a mattress topper to go on the top and it’s miles comfier.
The only thing is it’s a bit of a pita to store.
What I do is roll it up and use luggage straps to keep it together then it fits with some persuasion behind the tall cupboard at the back and the back door. Doesn’t even loose much view from the window.
It is a bit of an operation to roll it up and put away but I’m used to it now and doesn’t take me long. We normally only stay somewhere one night so I do it often and you soon get a system on the go.
The difference to my nights sleep is well worth the extra effort.
IMG_6638.jpegIMG_6637.jpeg
Size of foam was 120x190cm

We found the dunlem topper was only good to begin with and went unsupportive when we had the caravan.
I now use a Alpkit double dozer SIM and the dunlem topper on top or underneath if it’s a warm night. I will be making my own seat cushions out of caravan style sofa/bed foam then use the dozer on top of that eventually.

We’ve camped for years (in tents) and have grown to hate air mattresses. After a couple of nights we are as you describe - exhausted and achey!

Few years ago we got one of the cheap ikea folding beds (Harmmon?) and we rob the thick foam cushions from the summer house furniture. It all goes in the tent and is the best sleep we’ve ever had under canvass - its bliss!

I think the key is the foam mattress - have you got any seats you could rob it from to try?

Also, the Inofia folding mattress has been recommended a few times.

We suffered for a year on our little mattress that lives in the poptop, our new offering has done the job nicely with change out of £150, a Campincomfort 112 RIB bed mattress.
It folds into 3 and slips over the backseat taking the stress out of trying to see through the back windows, you can't when we are fully loaded.
A really comfortable night's sleep, certainly worth the money.

Screenshot_20240825_134039_Chrome.jpg

Thanks all, it's just too hard. We both wake up, like we've been punched in the back by Tyson Fury. The mattress topper we got is a dunelm gel fusion topper, stays cool at night, but just doesn't offer any support whatsoever. Think ours cost £108. We're thinking that because the rnr bed is brand new (fitted 29th may) it's not worn in yet.

Thanks all, it's just too hard. We both wake up, like we've been punched in the back by Tyson Fury. The mattress topper we got is a dunelm gel fusion topper, stays cool at night, but just doesn't offer any support whatsoever. Think ours cost £108. We're thinking that because the rnr bed is brand new (fitted 29th may) it's not worn in yet.
I’d get another topper or a SIM to go under your existing one to make it more forgiving.

Our current set-up is a Dunelm topper and a Vango Cali SIM (5cm deep) and it ain't comfy, hence splashing the cash on a z-folding custom mattress (15cm deep). Also, don't expect the RnR bed to soften up - in our experience it doesn't.

You need extra support.

The RnR won't soften up much.

I had the same issues, and having had a couple of spinal injuries along with arthritis in my hips, I tried a few different things to try to get comfortable.
Now I have an Outdoor Revolution 75mm SIM, with a Panda mattress topper. The two in combination are great.

One of the problems we’ve found with standard double air mattresses is that if one of us turns over or gets out, the other is treated to a go on a bouncy castle.

Are double SIMs compartmentalised to prevent this?

One of the problems we’ve found with standard double air mattresses is that if one of us turns over or gets out, the other is treated to a go on a bouncy castle.

Are double SIMs compartmentalised to prevent this?
Sort of, but at only 5cm thickness, there's barely any bounce to be had anyway.

Back