A comfy nights sleep? Help

ANyone managed to find a secent self inflation mattress of oam topper in 100cm wide?

We've had the same issue and just splashed out on a mattress from these guys...

It's an expensive option, but is hard to overestimate the value of a good night's sleep.

A review will be incoming on 5 Sept, as we go away with it on 4th (hopefully, if it arrives in time).
Thanks, we're looking at doing the same so be interested to hear your feedback.
My first feedback is that their customer care is excellent. They initially quoted 3 weeks to deliver a bespoke mattress to my design (see below). When I explained I needed it for a camping trip in 2 week's time, they said they would try their very best to ensure I had it before then. On that basis I crossed my fingers and placed my order.

Today - just 7 working days since placing the order - I received email confirmation that the mattress is at DPD's Crawley depot. :mexican wave:
View attachment 257202
Just realised I haven't provided feedback after actually using this mattress.

The first thing to say is that it's HUGE - it's 15cm deep, so measures 120x64x45cm (WxHxD) when folded in 3.
  • When travelling, we keep it on the R'n'R seat (the only place it fits given we have a bulkhead behind our R'n'R bed). It takes up the ENTIRE seat space, so isn't suitable if you need to carry rear passengers. It also makes accessing the wardrobe problematic, which was a minor inconvenience for us; but may be more problematic for others.
  • Whilst on site during the day, we moved it to the awning, but it is VERY bulky to move in and out of the van - you either need Inspector Gadget extendo-arms or it's a 2-man operation.
The second thing to report is that the price tag matches the bulk of the mattress - it was VERY expensive. We chose to have ours made to a custom shape, using their top-spec foam, so they can be had for much cheaper, but, even so, over £650 was a lot more than I wanted to pay.

Lastly, comfort. I'm not going to pretend it's as comfortable as our king-size bed at home - no bed 120cm wide ever could be - but it is VERY comfortable. With all previous sleep setups, both me & Mrs Bav would wake up in the night with various aches and pains, and then struggle to get comfortable enough to get back to sleep. No such problem with this mattress - during our 7-nighter in Cornwall, we both slept through every night and awoke fully refreshed and ache-free. Temperature control also seemed very good, adding to comfort levels, though it wasn't particularly warm or cold, so that aspect wasn't fully tested.

Conclusion? It's very big (bordering on the impractical) and it's very expensive (bordering on the outrageous), but I challenge anyone to get a more comfortable night's sleep in a camper with 2 people sleeping on a 120cm-wide bed.

PS
They do offer slimmer and lower-spec foam mattresses and ones without the cut-outs ours has, so that should decrease costs and bulkiness, but not sure what impact that would have on sleep comfort.

Just realised I haven't provided feedback after actually using this mattress.

The first thing to say is that it's HUGE - it's 15cm deep, so measures 120x64x45cm (WxHxD) when folded in 3.
  • When travelling, we keep it on the R'n'R seat (the only place it fits given we have a bulkhead behind our R'n'R bed). It takes up the ENTIRE seat space, so isn't suitable if you need to carry rear passengers. It also makes accessing the wardrobe problematic, which was a minor inconvenience for us; but may be more problematic for others.
  • Whilst on site during the day, we moved it to the awning, but it is VERY bulky to move in and out of the van - you either need Inspector Gadget extendo-arms or it's a 2-man operation.
The second thing to report is that the price tag matches the bulk of the mattress - it was VERY expensive. We chose to have ours made to a custom shape, using their top-spec foam, so they can be had for much cheaper, but, even so, over £650 was a lot more than I wanted to pay.

Lastly, comfort. I'm not going to pretend it's as comfortable as our king-size bed at home - no bed 120cm wide ever could be - but it is VERY comfortable. With all previous sleep setups, both me & Mrs Bav would wake up in the night with various aches and pains, and then struggle to get comfortable enough to get back to sleep. No such problem with this mattress - during our 7-nighter in Cornwall, we both slept through every night and awoke fully refreshed and ache-free. Temperature control also seemed very good, adding to comfort levels, though it wasn't particularly warm or cold, so that aspect wasn't fully tested.

Conclusion? It's very big (bordering on the impractical) and it's very expensive (bordering on the outrageous), but I challenge anyone to get a more comfortable night's sleep in a camper with 2 people sleeping on a 120cm-wide bed.

PS
They do offer slimmer and lower-spec foam mattresses and ones without the cut-outs ours has, so that should decrease costs and bulkiness, but not sure what impact that would have on sleep comfort.
I'm struggling with the £650 bit! Wow!
Our 3 fold mattress was £150 ish, drapes over the RnR bed blocking the back window (it's a van, it's not meant to have back windows!) When we get to site all the gear in the cupboards gets moved into whatever awning we take and we leave the bed set up permanently if it's only the two of us.
It's very comfortable on a 112 bed for the pair of us even with the uncomfortable skin to skin contact that can occur if we aren't careful!

We just lay side by side two elderly 25mm thick Thermarest SIMs on the RnR bed. Comfort when inflated to the firmness of choice and reduce to a very small package when not in use.

Reactions: CAB
Back