A comfy nights sleep? Help

I gave up sleeping in the van as it was uncomfortable after a couple of nights, reverted to sleeping in the awning on one of these.

Sofa bed

DO shop around as prices do vary quite a bit, I inflate it to 1 bar and it is spot on.
That does look comfy, but I don't have an awning yet, so would be sleeping outside. The Mrs wouldn't mind me sleeping outside though

What are the benefits of buying a SIM? Are they as comfortable as a thick slab of memory foam or are they less comfortable but more practical for storage? I’m trying to weigh up what’s best if starting from scratch!

What are the benefits of buying a SIM? Are they as comfortable as a thick slab of memory foam or are they less comfortable but more practical for storage? I’m trying to weigh up what’s best if starting from scratch!
In my experience, SIM's usually pack-down to a smaller size and foam is usually more comfortable, but, of course, it does depend on how big (deep) your SIM is and what quality & depth your memory foam is.

From my research, traditional memory foam is pressure-reactive and can be slow to change shape when you change sleeping position. It can also lack of ventilation and be a little sweaty. More modern memory foam variants are body-heat reactive, so change shape more quickly and they dissipate heat more quickly, helping to prevent overheating.

EDIT: A SIM's comfort level also depends how highly it's inflated. Obviously, they're supposed to inflate to a given pressure, but we had one that was a little "lazy" when self-inflating, so needed some additional manual inflation (just a few a few breaths - nothing major). We found that under-inflated, it was uncomfortable due to being able to feel whatever the mattress is laid upon, but over-inflated, it was equally uncomfortable because it didn't conform to your body's shape (meaning pressure on shoulders & hips isn't relieved).

Last edited:
In my experience, SIM's usually pack-down to a smaller size and foam is usually more comfortable, but, of course, it does depend on how big (deep) your SIM is and what quality & depth your memory foam is.

From my research, traditional memory foam is pressure-reactive and can be slow to change shape when you change sleeping position. It can also lack of ventilation and be a little sweaty. More modern memory foam variants are body-heat reactive, so change shape more quickly and they dissipate heat more quickly, helping to prevent overheating.

EDIT: A SIM's comfort level also depends how highly it's inflated. Obviously, they're supposed to inflate to a given pressure, but we had one that was a little "lazy" when self-inflating, so needed some additional manual inflation (just a few a few breaths - nothing major). We found that under-inflated, it was uncomfortable due to being able to feel whatever the mattress is laid upon, but over-inflated, it was equally uncomfortable because it didn't conform to your body's shape (meaning pressure on shoulders & hips isn't relieved).
That’s really helpful thanks!

We have a 150cm RIB and use 2 large singles side by side. Can adjust individual inflation levels, and don’t bounce around when the other gets up.

IMG_1280.png

They also do a double camper van specific one

IMG_1281.png

Memory Foam Mattress Topper | Panda London.

Maybe pricey, but it’s fecking comfy and we are now up to 3 months in the van so we should know! Sleep better in the van than at home.
See that, looks exactly the same as my dunelm one, even down to the design print. Maybe we've done something wrong, but ours just wasn't comfy. I've now sold the dunelm one to my mum for her double bed, maybe it's better on a pocket sprung mattress

I've bought this one, we shall see I guess.

We’ve been using a 2" thick memory foam egg crate type mattress topper inside a singe duvet cover for the last 12 months and have found it ideal. Not only is it comfortable and easy to roll up (using Velcro ties) and store, but is relatively inexpensive (£60) when compared to Duvalay and similar mattresses. I've spent a few nights on a Duvalay and can't say there's much difference other than being about four times the price.

Last edited:
I've bought this one, we shall see I guess.

Maybe get one of these too, quicker inflation and de-flation and easy to adjust the pressure.

Maybe get one of these too, quicker inflation and de-flation and easy to adjust the pressure.
Thank you, just ordered ☺️

Hi All,

So, we're currently in Cornwall on our third trip away in the van, but we're waking up broken, I genuinely feel like I've fallen out of a plane onto a bed of nails.

We have a rock n roll bed (comfy to sit on) and purchased a mattress topper from Dunelm which is 6.5cm big, so not as thin as a duvelay or whatever.

Any idea how to make it comfier?

Mark

View attachment 256510View attachment 256511
We used a Dunelm topper and found it uncomfortable, so we decided to use 2 x Dunelm toppers. So much more comfortable now.

After an uncomfortable 3 nights on our first trip I bit the bullet and went for the Duvalay freshtec(?) as we’re both quite hot sleepers. I sleep better in the van now than I do in a king size bed at home! Ridiculously expensive really but worth it so far

We have to he thin memory foam mattress from the poptop that we used over our rib bed for a few years. This wasn’t quite comfortable enough so I bought an outdoor revolution SIM (also thin) which we put underneath. This combo works really well and doesn’t take up a lot of space when packed

Back