Ad-Blue - 650 mile countdown comes and then goes off

@mmi i have scanned the van again today after another 100 miles or so and now have an extra code as per shots below IMG_9745.png
IMG_9746.png
DPF health still good and not due a regen etc, fresh tank of fuel in today and have put posh expensive ESSO in to see if it makes any difference
IMG_9747.png
Assuming that NOX threshold could be my issue as it’s pending…..not seen the 650 countdown again.

I have now cleared the codes and will run until it gives the 650 mile countdown and scan again. Newcastle to Bristol in a few weeks so that should get her on the screen

Reactions: mmi
@mmi i have scanned the van again today after another 100 miles or so and now have an extra code as per shots below
Thanks for the update. Really appreciated.

23871 (VW specific code) - aka P0401 (generic OBD code) - EGR System Insufficient flow.
This one shows as as CONFIRMED - so you did have dash warning light, right??

15560 (VW specific code)- aka P046C - EGR Sensor 1
Interestingly this one is not shown any more on generic OBD side of codes - but was shown in post #15 (snippet also below)
1717917044956.png

Perhaps it's now a historic one and thus no need to show it any more on OBD generic side?? See the statuses PENDING, CONFIRMED on the other codes.

31103 (VW specific code)- aka P20EE (Generic OBD code)
Well, this is interesting one - with updated engine software.
Assuming that NOX threshold could be my issue as it’s pending…..not seen the 650 countdown again.
I'm not sure if this the actual issue, rather just an indication of too high NOx levels. Basically it simply indicates that the NOx level is higher than it should be. So indication of NOx reduction system is not performing satisfactorily - could be that EGR doesn't perform well recirculating exhaust gases and/or AdBlue system is not performing as expected (or of course the NOx sensor itself).

I could imagine that countdown indication could be a consequence of the ECU being confused of not seeing expected NOx reduction by using AdBlue - just speculating now...

Thanks for the update. Really appreciated.

23871 (VW specific code) - aka P0401 (generic OBD code) - EGR System Insufficient flow.
This one shows as as CONFIRMED - so you did have dash warning light, right??
Correct yes I had the amber emissions light present on the dash
15560 (VW specific code)- aka P046C - EGR Sensor 1
Interestingly this one is not shown any more on generic OBD side of codes - but was shown in post #15 (snippet also below)
View attachment 245163

Perhaps it's now a historic one and thus no need to show it any more on OBD generic side?? See the statuses PENDING, CONFIRMED on the other codes.

31103 (VW specific code)- aka P20EE (Generic OBD code)
Well, this is interesting one - with updated engine software.

I'm not sure if this the actual issue, rather just an indication of too high NOx levels. Basically it simply indicates that the NOx level is higher than it should be. So indication of NOx reduction system is not performing satisfactorily - could be that EGR doesn't perform well recirculating exhaust gases and/or AdBlue system is not performing as expected (or of course the NOx sensor itself).

I could imagine that countdown indication could be a consequence of the ECU being confused of not seeing expected NOx reduction by using AdBlue - just speculating now...
Yeah i did wonder if that could be the case - I have a 650 mile round trip next week so going to see what it does then....could leave me stranded if the countdown starts but should see what codes are captured on the journey.

For me its interesting to try and understand how driving conditions effect these vehicles and the ECU - I cleared the EGR codes last week before completing a 244 mile round trip - trip was 75% dual or single caridgeway main A road and 25% B road small and twisty. I normally drive for efficiency and regularly retun 60mpg however this trip is gave the van a good kicking for the whole trip and did not see the amber light the whole time. Checked the codes and there was a pending for EGR but again no NOX issues registered. Gets me to thinking that when the engine is under hard load that its not seeing high NOX and when sat at 55mph under light load on an eco run it may be seeing higher NOX levels?

Now i was tempted to have the EGR coded out but this also gives me concerns that I may see increased NOX emissions and similar countdown faults without it but jury is out on that one...would be nice not to have the amber light on and off without the £1000+ quoted for the exchnage of the egr :)

I had my egr mapped out, it was working fine, but I didn’t like the thought of dumping all that hot exhaust gas into the combustion chamber. Since removing I have definitely benefited from higher mpg on the same journeys.

I don’t know if it’s affected the life of the dpf, but that;s going to go at some point and need removing and flushing anyway.

TBH the thing that annoys me the most is the fact a regen always seems to occur when I’m minutes from my drive. That and a regen kills consumption! Stupid system. If I didn't want to do my bit for the environment and not have a stinky diesel I’d get it removed…

I had my egr mapped out, it was working fine, but I didn’t like the thought of dumping all that hot exhaust gas into the combustion chamber. Since removing I have definitely benefited from higher mpg on the same journeys.

I don’t know if it’s affected the life of the dpf, but that;s going to go at some point and need removing and flushing anyway.

TBH the thing that annoys me the most is the fact a regen always seems to occur when I’m minutes from my drive. That and a regen kills consumption! Stupid system. If I didn't want to do my bit for the environment and not have a stinky diesel I’d get it removed…
Aye funny mine tends to do the same with the regen, do a long run and then just before home it deicdes to do it....perhaps just a coincidence as the van cant know where it is

Aye funny mine tends to do the same with the regen, do a long run and then just before home it deicdes to do it....perhaps just a coincidence as the van cant know where it is

maybe before or during the long run see where it's at in Carista and instigate the regen so it's done when you arrive home.

Double-check?
Very interesting! No time to check today and driving down to Bristol tomorrow 320 mile so lets see how well the van behaves.......be a 640 round trip returning friday so will do that and then take a good look over.

Reactions: mmi
So……here we go again but this time we have some codes to read!

All the way to Bristol with no issues other than the normal EGR code and alll the way home until 2 miles from the door and the dreaded spanner and 650 miles is back to get me! There is a small chance it’s a genuine top up needed as it was at 800 range at the time however the generic code would suggest not.

@mmi I’m yet to check for the leak you highlighted earlier

Ecu scan below:

Code:
Detailed ECU info

ECU info obtained with Carista 731099 for iOS:

VIN: WV1ZZZ7HZHH095172

CAN network gateway

Part #: 7E0909901

Component: GW-K-CAN TP20

Software version: 0744

ASAM/ODX identifier: [none]

Coding: 042305 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Engine

Part #: 04L906056KA

Component: R4 2.0l TDI

Software version: 6163

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KA

Coding: 00114010432501090000 (hex)

Fault codes:

15560 Manufacturer-specific code

23871 Manufacturer-specific code

33262 Manufacturer-specific code

31103 Manufacturer-specific code

ABS

Part #: 7E0907379P

Component: ESC

Software version: 0133

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Brake1ESCCONTIVN75XGP2

Coding: 517E4098256B84838A76027DA48421E6790000 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Steering angle

Part #: 6R0959654

Component: LENKW.SENSOR

Software version: 0070

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_LWSKLOVW25X

Coding: 01 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Airbags

Part #: 7E0959655G

Component: VW10Airbag021

Software version: 0018

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_AirbaVW10BPAVW12X

Coding: 000000000000000000000000000000003231 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Instrument cluster

Part #: 7E0920970S

Component: KOMBI

Software version: 1104

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09

Coding: 450B010300 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Infotainment system

Part #: 1K8035150L

Component: MU-E-D-ER

Software version: 7085

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_MUEnt4CGen2LGE

Coding: 065700003C00000041111101008000001F0000C60000010001 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Immobilizer

Part #: 5K0953234

Component: IMMO

Software version: 1104

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Immo_UDS_VDD_RM09

Coding: 000000 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Parking/steering assist

Part #: 7E0919475T

Component: PARKHILFE 4K

Software version: 0212

ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_VW75XParkAssis4K

Coding: 10800A (hex)

[No fault codes]

Central electronics

Part #: 7E0937090B

Component: BCM PQ25 Max4

Coding: E0A4303A0A212031002009742C2B9C500F80708F60444D60320400220800 (hex)

Fault codes:

03303 Feedback Locked-Position rear-left

Battery regulator

Part #: 7E0907534

Component: Batt.regelung

Coding: 030B7A73 (hex)

[No fault codes]

Obtained with Carista 731099 for iOS.

I have not tried to reset these as yet as going to add 10L tomorrow just to see if it has any effect.

IMG_0211.pngIMG_0210.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Added 10l of adblue today just to be 100% that level wasn’t an issue and the range on the screen is now 600 but with no level so o know it’s nothing to do with the amount in the tank anyhow.

Have cleared all codes, nothing now present however the 600 countdown continues with no way to resolve at the moment….not sure how the fault can persist if there is no code registered? Guess I’m going to have to hope it self resets again!

Over 100km since last DPF regen and only 12mg measured so appears the DpF is healthy.

Any clues anyone?

Might have to map out as a temp fix at the moment as I have a lot of driving to do and can’t appear to see any solution to the issue.

dreaded spanner and 650 miles
the range on the screen is now 600 but with no level
not sure how the fault can persist if there is no code registered
Codewise this fault seems to be a bit strange - but it seems to be consistent - the spanner and no range shown seem to be common for this fault. Also I seem to sense the fault P204F is associated.

33262 = P204F

Have cleared all codes, nothing now present however the 600 countdown continues
Clearing emission related codes indeed makes them to disappear - for a while - as the accumulation of emission data is restarted.

Guess I’m going to have to hope it self resets again!
or?
@mmi I’m yet to check for the leak you highlighted earlier

Attach a link where the disparity between dash (650 miles) and engine AdBlue range was investigated a bit deeper. Just to "prove" that it's highly unlikely to be a sensor issue. Does Carista show AdBlue level in the Live data?

Codewise this fault seems to be a bit strange - but it seems to be consistent - the spanner and no range shown seem to be common for this fault. Also I seem to sense the fault P204F is associated.

33262 = P204F

Clearing emission related codes indeed makes them to disappear - for a while - as the accumulation of emission data is restarted.

or?

Attach a link where the disparity between dash (650 miles) and engine AdBlue range was investigated a bit deeper. Just to "prove" that it's highly unlikely to be a sensor issue. Does Carista show AdBlue level in the Live data?

Carista does not appear to show a live adblu level howveer now after another 50 miles the countdown has cleared and its back to 4000 miles range so assuming this is now nothing to do with the tank level but down to emissions possibly.

Really not sure what else to make of it now, driving to manchester next week so lets see what it does this time

It took 80 panic stricken kilometres driving back north through France before our Adblu countdown reset and went from 500 miles left to 5000 miles of range.
Bastid thing ruined our holiday along with it's mate the engine management light (cam position sensor) but it feels like it was stuck displaying a range of 2,500 miles way past where it should have spotted a deficit as I did manage to get 7.5 litres of wee into the tank although the tank sensor didn't take the increase onboard initially, maybe the sensor was crusted up with urea crystals as any Adblu spillage onto our dark brown paintwork looks like a snail trail within seconds on a sunny day.

It took 80 panic stricken kilometres driving back north through France before our Adblu countdown reset and went from 500 miles left to 5000 miles of range.
Bastid thing ruined our holiday along with it's mate the engine management light (cam position sensor) but it feels like it was stuck displaying a range of 2,500 miles way past where it should have spotted a deficit as I did manage to get 7.5 litres of wee into the tank although the tank sensor didn't take the increase onboard initially, maybe the sensor was crusted up with urea crystals as any Adblu spillage onto our dark brown paintwork looks like a snail trail within seconds on a sunny day.
Yeah its driving me mad now, any long journey im planning around if i can get home with the 650 mile warning with miles still to go!

Talked to a couple garages who just say they can start changing sensors etc but it will get expensive....amazing that VW (and others) have installed these systems that are clearly not fit for purpose yet can leave the vihicle useless! Not surprising for a minute that people are taking to coding out the system

Drive it as far as you dare on that countdown as that was the second time we've been caught on the countdown of doom but this time it cleared after 80 kms/50 miles distance.
Last time (18 months ago) we were on our way to our youngest lad in Glasgow and managed to get into the local main dealer there who swore blind it was just low on Adblu despite me putting 5 litres in prior to the trip.
They were good enough to charge just over £100 including the additional Adblu and cheered me up no end by telling me my rear left B14 spring had snapped and lost its pigtail coil.

Drive it as far as you dare on that countdown as that was the second time we've been caught on the countdown of doom but this time it cleared after 80 kms/50 miles distance.
Last time (18 months ago) we were on our way to our youngest lad in Glasgow and managed to get into the local main dealer there who swore blind it was just low on Adblu despite me putting 5 litres in prior to the trip.
They were good enough to charge just over £100 including the additional Adblu and cheered me up no end by telling me my rear left B14 spring had snapped and lost its pigtail coil.
3rd time for me now, second it was over 200 miles before it reset and this time just 50 or so......

SO.......drove to manchester last week (170 miles) and of course was hit with the countdown and spanner just before getting there, same error codes storded as above. cleared codes when i parked the van - long stroy short the flight was cancelled so we had to drive the 170 miles home again same day but this time much faster as had to then make a new flight we booked from Newcastle so gave it some right foot, after about 50 miles it cleared and back to 4000 miles range again......im begining to feel the van does not like cruise control on at 60-65mph, not sure if its down to exhaust temps or its doing a regen at 60mph at the revs are a little low for full temp and its flagging emissions. who knows.
Next drive im going to try a forced regen at the start of the journey and then see how we get on with it. So case still not closed but i havent got to the desperate point of having it mapped out to save all the hastle!!

im begining to feel the van does not like cruise control on at 60-65mph, not sure if its down to exhaust temps or its doing a regen at 60mph at the revs are a little low for full temp and its flagging emissions
Interesting. For some other reasons on the longer trips I've been watching for the regens on VAG-DPF and then dropping a gear or two to raise the revs while they happen. Think I might carry on doing that.

Interesting. For some other reasons on the longer trips I've been watching for the regens on VAG-DPF and then dropping a gear or two to raise the revs while they happen. Think I might carry on doing that.
Interesting, I have not used VAG-DPF just check the suit levels on Carista. Is VAG_DPF a similar thing?

Back