AdBlue Refill Query

MotoPL

T6 Pro
First time filling up my Adblue and I'm scared :rolleyes:

So, the display shows (approx) a Min 4.25 litres and Max 8.75 litres. It also says 16oo miles left and as I'm about to embark on a Xmas 1000 mile round trip, I figured it was time for my 1st AdBlue fill up before setting off (will have managed around 6500 miles on the tank)

Obviously I can't quite fit the whole of my 10 litre bottle into it yet which is a pain, and if I stick 8 litres in, it'll leave me 2 litres in the bottle which is below the Min that gets displayed and so is useless!

So, question is (bit hypothetical), what happens if you do top it up with less than the Min... I understand the system doesn't recognise it, but the thing is, whether it recognises it or not, the AdBlue level is now greater... and what would happen if you did, say, 3 x 3 litre top ups? None would be recognised, but you'd now have a virtually full tank. What would happen then?

(Maybe i'm over thinking, but for now I'm planning on putting 1/2 the bottle in to leave me enough for next time)

Mmm good question. My Adblue light has popped up for the first time also.

The AdBlue sensor is definitely very very slow to respond but it does get there eventually. It will pick up those 3 litre refills but not immediately; I have no idea why it's so slow.
We got a bit caught out in France; knew we had enough but it was getting close. Three service stations in a row had none - finally found 1.5 litres for a laughable €10.99, topped up very carefully, a dribble still escaped and instantly crystallised on the paint - nasty stuff IMO.

So I only use service stations with AdBlue filling pumps - it's very cheap (around 60-75p a litre), totally mess free and very easy. I won't use a bottle of the stuff again.

Strangely Spain had a lot more AdBlue buying options than France ; most filling stations had an AdBlue pump.

Does the adblue filling pump turn off automatically like a fuel pump?

Does the adblue filling pump turn off automatically like a fuel pump?

yes, it knocks off just like diesel pump would.

anytime I fill with diesel, I usually fill the adblue every 2nd or third time, I agree that it is slow to register, full tank and range shows 4000,

pretty sure it read 5000 when I picked it up new

adding 5 litres (half the bottle) seems to have added a whole 2k miles to my range - hopefully that will adjust in due course!

First time filling up my Adblue and I'm scared :rolleyes:

So, the display shows (approx) a Min 4.25 litres and Max 8.75 litres. It also says 16oo miles left and as I'm about to embark on a Xmas 1000 mile round trip, I figured it was time for my 1st AdBlue fill up before setting off (will have managed around 6500 miles on the tank)

Obviously I can't quite fit the whole of my 10 litre bottle into it yet which is a pain, and if I stick 8 litres in, it'll leave me 2 litres in the bottle which is below the Min that gets displayed and so is useless!

So, question is (bit hypothetical), what happens if you do top it up with less than the Min... I understand the system doesn't recognise it, but the thing is, whether it recognises it or not, the AdBlue level is now greater... and what would happen if you did, say, 3 x 3 litre top ups? None would be recognised, but you'd now have a virtually full tank. What would happen then?

(Maybe i'm over thinking, but for now I'm planning on putting 1/2 the bottle in to leave me enough for next time)
I filled mine to the brim when it was showing 4000 km (2500 miles) min 4.25 and max 7.50 liters. It took in 10.9 liters which then gave me range 10500 km (6500 miles).

Owner's manual (p. 349) about AdBlue refill:
• After refilling, switch on the ignition only.
• Leave the ignition switched on for at least 30 seconds to allow the system to detect the refill procedure.
• Do not start the engine until the 30 seconds have elapsed!
If not done like that no worries, it will eventually catch up.

About your question about filling less than minimum, I'm confident it eventually will get readings correct. Only exception possibly could be if you had already reached 0 range or close and just filling very little like a liter. The AdBlue tank level sensor shows always actual values but it seems that it is just the computer which has difficulties to believe that your AdBlue level is slowly increasing.

Adblue pumps don't seem very common. Does anybody know where to find one in the Southeast?

The one at Beaconsfield services off the M40 wasn’t working in December due to forecourt maintenance.

Mine says nearest is 330km away and lists an address in France lol
Good job im euro 5 and dont need the stuff

The AdBlue sensor is definitely very very slow to respond but it does get there eventually. It will pick up those 3 litre refills but not immediately; I have no idea why it's so slow.
We got a bit caught out in France; knew we had enough but it was getting close. Three service stations in a row had none - finally found 1.5 litres for a laughable €10.99, topped up very carefully, a dribble still escaped and instantly crystallised on the paint - nasty stuff IMO.

So I only use service stations with AdBlue filling pumps - it's very cheap (around 60-75p a litre), totally mess free and very easy. I won't use a bottle of the stuff again.

Strangely Spain had a lot more AdBlue buying options than France ; most filling stations had an AdBlue pump.

Does UK have these filling stations?
I just bought 10L drum of the stuff from TPS at £5.99 inclusive of VAT. The drum comes with a short hose to. However if you can get the stuff from you UK forecourt, then I am in.

Cheers

Don't need it in my euro 5 or the wife's petrol car but the car still has a great big fuel flap on the side with a spare hole for the adblue for the diesel models . It even fills the shelf at the supermarkets I can see the government putting tax duty on it next.

Back