Brake Fluid Flush - Clutch Implications

@KC1

VIP Member
Hey All,

Van is due a brake fluid change, I have a pressure based brake bleeding kit and know the process from the brake perspective but wondering as the clutch shares a reservoir how this affects the procedure?.
Should the clutch be bled as well?, or leave well enough alone
Should I decant old fluid from the reservoir and refill with new before starting - this has the potential to introduce air to clutch line if not bleeding clutch - or just bleed all the old fluid from the brake bleeders.

Any tips appreciated...

This is a really good point - most paid servicing has the brake fluid change on a regular basis which will change the reservoir fluid for the clutch but not bleeding the clutch.

I dont know whether the fluid circulates at all or just moves backwards and forwards in the pipe as you press the pedal?

I’ll do mine the next time I change the fluid. I think there are some differences between the 5 & 6 speed box. From what I’ve read the 6sp has a concentric cylinder within the bell housing and the 5sp is external.

It's a dead end circuit. With the exception of a tiny amount near the master cylinder, none of the fluid will ever circulate or get refreshed.

It's a dead end circuit. With the exception of a tiny amount near the master cylinder, none of the fluid will ever circulate or get refreshed.
They all are (the brakes) but not sure how temperature differentials in the fluid affect circulation?

In reality bleeding all 4 brake corners and the clutch ‘branch’ is the best approach

Thanks @The Bear78 @Paynewright - as the fluid doesn't circulate I agree bleeding all dead end circuits would be the best approach but I
am very wary of bleeding the clutch after reading some of the stories on here and elsewhere about how difficult it can be to bleed.

Is this the clutch bleeder in the attached image circled in red?. Doesn't seem to be a traditional nut type bleed nipple, has a white plastic piece that's not quite circular but two of the sides are serrated.

IMG_2202.jpeg

"Bleeding" is a lot easier when it's just fluid replacement. It's already bled and just needs fresh fluid to be pumped through.
Most bleeding issues are when the layout of the system and/or access makes air removal a bit of a challenge.
The only real danger is running out of fluid in the reservoir and introducing air. This is more likely with the clutch as the pick up tube/port in the reservoir is higher to prevent any clutch leaks from draining the shared fluid supply for the brakes.

Last edited:
Worth bleeding the clutch line if you are thinking of doing so, the fluid that's in there will no doubt be quite dirty.

Back