Campsite costs UK

I can’t believe we’re going to pay £49 per night to go to Cornwall at half term. However, it was arranged by someone in our village who always goes there! There will be five families we know and they’ve put us all together so hopefully it will be good even if it is bloody expensive!!
whereabouts is that??

I know it's not to everyones taste but we don't like to self-cater too much and started getting fed up with how remote a lot of the C&CC sites were from anywhere to eat and drink and learned to research their exact locations as the names of the sites were often no real guide - Lynton is a good example being quite a way from the town on a very steep track which is OK for going but a real pain for the return journey with a couple of pints inside you. We were members for years during our tenting days when it was easier to pitch up and drive the car anywhere (albeit reluctantly as it always meant one of us couldn't drink!) but in the van it's not so easy once we're settled in. Their pitch prices also started to go up a lot and I always said that the year that we never used a C&CC site would be our last subscription and that was the year before last (ignoring covid when everything was in suspended animation) - I can't say that I've missed much since, particularly the over- officious resident camp guards. I've no experience of the Caravan Club and no real desire to change that.
We find the same. Are members of C&CC but generally end up staying somewhere else as their sites require a drive to everywhere and aren’t exactly luxurious. We have booked to stay in slapton on the south coast as I remember this to be different, close to pubs, close to sea. Also first site I’ve ever rebooked as generally want to try somewhere new each time.

Trevalgan - near St Ives - 7 nights in August - £612.50 - that's £87.50 per night!!! Family of 4 plus 1 Dog.

That's to stay on a patch of grass with hookup, no more.... Absolute joke. Add a pitch with Water and Waste = £90 per night.

They charge £4.50 per day for a Dog lol. I'd be showering him daily at that rate!!

Needless to say won't be staying there, be interesting to see if still available in August. Mind you people pay silly prices for anything when it comes to St Ives

Trevalgan - near St Ives - 7 nights in August - £612.50 - that's £87.50 per night!!! Family of 4 plus 1 Dog.

That's to stay on a patch of grass with hookup, no more.... Absolute joke

They charge £4.50 per day for a Dog lol. I'd be showering him daily at that rate!!

Needless to say won't be staying there, be interesting to see if still available in August. Mind you people pay silly prices for anything when it comes to St Ives
Are you going?

This is somewhat why we ended up by a Caravelle+Kitchen Pod which I describe as a camper van we don't sleep in. Instead we find a deal on self catering accommodation or cheap hotel room and spend the day out and about touring. We started doing that in the Volvo when Days Inn at service stations was £25 but that's gone up too now.

Appreciate it's not what everyone wants but if you want to get out and see the area we get back to somewhere with heating, space, big fridge, a bath, no lining up with the drive away, no worries about items left on site, separate room for the kids to sleep in. But we still can pull up in the car park layby with a nice view and make a brew.

I'd like to take BigTruckie camping some time and we have all the gear from years of reenacting before the kids arrived. My issue when we've had a quick look is that if you don't fit in the right "box" it's either expensive or unbookable; and what lookes like a camper van + sun awning with a box trailer and large canvas tent is unusual. The tent sites don't want us because we pull the trailer with a van, the van sites don't want us because we want to put up a big tent not a drive away and everyone seems to have an issue with the trailer.

So it's easier to avoid the campsites frankly, we don't fit and if we did they charge a mint.

Tintagel from next weekend for three nights and then four nights in Brixham with hook up comes to £235.80.
I think where the wallet rinsing starts is during school holiday periods, either side of these events is the calmer pricing of before and after the feeding frenzy.
IMG20240427162545.jpg
Ready to go and it looks like the life aquatic for us for the coming week, no hook up either so hoping the Webasto still works and our carbon offset vouchers are valid. :unsure:

Unfortunately my partner works in a school so any kind of holiday including camp sites are more expensive. I’ve booked us into two sites in Scotland in July for £30 a night. Going to the Lakes in May half term and had to book a minimum of 3 nights @£35 per night. The 3 nights suited what we wanted to be doing to be fair.

I take off on solo trips outside of school hols - going up to Lewis & Harris in a couple of weeks & will be staying at a site not far from Chesterfield next week (another trip to Dav-Tec) for £17

We spend on average about £30 a night for a pitch (in this country)and we do our research as to whats local before we go .
And if theyre are too expensive then we'll choose another .
I think sites have put their prices up and sure SOME are taking the pee BUT how much have all household bills gone up ? If an average pitch has gone up by a few quid then also so has the businesses overheads so i dont have a problem with that .
If you want cheap pitches then get yourself over to france/spain but also factor in the price of getting there , travel and breakdown insurance, etc etc .

Also consider some of these pitches abroad can rough and ready with little or no facilities, often small or overly full and you can't go sticking your big driveaway up on an aire .

We have been travelling to Southern Spain through France for the last 10 years (except Covid years). Generally speaking pre Covid excellent sites were between 16 and 20 euro. Last September fees had risen to 25-30 Euros. Like for like in the UK I would think £40-£50. All of the euro sites had a bar, cafe, shop, dry hard site and good well kept toilets. Nearly all off the beaten track, Dordogne area, is magic. Tend to find that the continentals are far more open to conversation than many brit sites, and none of this 'keeping up with the jones's attitude) some campers and moho owners have. Boy racer mentality, or as on this forum 'what did you buy today'.
Regarding C&CC, although it says Club in it's title, it is share owner owned with Directors and Executive salaries to pay for. As in most volunteer run clubs, there would be AGM's and elections etc. C&CC is it's our club, our rules, our prices and we have much higher overheads. Dosn't necessarily equate to value for money.

I think the idea posted earlier of recommended sites posted on the forum would be great. Who knows if the uptake is sufficient may attract a T6Forum discount.
As for myself in the UK use only voluntary run sites or the Brit Stop Book. Another thing to remember is that hotel costs have gone through the roof as staff costs are now at least 25% of any revenue. Good chefs are now asking £50-£70k i.e. more than the Manager and in a Pub more than the owner. Hence why camp site owners are charging more, because they can.

...camp site owners are charging more, because they can.
Whilst accepting that some campsite are taking the piss with their pricing, it's not accurate to claim that they're all increasing their prices "because they can". They don't exist in a bubble and, therefore, their overheads and staff costs will have increased substantially as well.

They don't exist in a bubble and, therefore, their overheads and staff costs will have increased substantially as well.
They're also not going to be on domestic energy rates and will not have a price cap either. I help look after the local village hall and the energy prices the last 2/3 years have been frightening and have dominated the operating costs, for some of the clubs we are currently operating at a loss purely due to energy prices and there is only so long we can do that even as a volunteer run local social charity.

3 Bed, Brand new renovation, central heating, fully fitted kitchen, even milk and Welsh cakes. Lake Bala 5 min walk. All for not much more than a wet soggy campsite. Just no competition

View attachment 237535
How much more is "not much more"? If the number's too low, I'll have to apply the "forum costs" rule in reverse!!! :eek:

If you want somewhere a bit more sensibly priced in Cornwall, near the beaches but traditional-style without fancy facilities, try magor farm near Camborne. It’s about 15 quid a night in peak season

Back