Centre console storage unit

Must be me......but I think that thing looks ghastly......it's way too big! Looks like it would foul the armrests too........anyway........aaaaaargh!

Well, I've been mulling over this storage situation for a while now! I quickly came to the conclusion that a Transporter is great if you want to carry a washing machine or chest of drawers.....but shite for carrying a few shopping bags or a flask and some sarnies! Stuff flies everywhere.....so I've had a go at a small storage box that sits between the front seats. I made life difficult by carpeting it.....what a ball ache! Anyway......here it is!

IMAG1011.jpg IMAG1012.jpg IMAG1013.jpg IMAG1014.jpg

Anyway.....don't all laugh at once! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracking efford mate.. let have a pic in situte..

Blind as a bat

Last edited:
Nice. Is gravity/friction sufficient to hold it in place or will it need some form of fixing.

Nice. Is gravity/friction sufficient to hold it in place or will it need some form of fixing.

I made it a tight (ish) fit. I did consider how it might behave in a crash situation.....and tbh, I just made it a snug fit. It can't fly up between the seats as they flair out as you come upwards from the floor. It's unlikely to cause a problem if it flies forward as it would stop at the bottom of the dash. Who know's in a serious crash........I've risk assessed it and I'm quite happy about it. Just thinking about a mark 2 version now!! :thumbsup:

Very good! As they say necessity is the mother of invention.

My classic is leaving something on the floor and it rolling all the way to the back or down a footwell, so need to find a better solution. But I do like hopping through the seat gap, so don't want to lose that.

So long as it doesn't go under the pedals it's ok. If it does it could be an own goal...

That's spot on. Me likes. What have you formed the sides from, and how have you got the bottle holder checker plate to attach to the sides?

Dead easy Db.....the basic structure is 9mm ply. Think of it as a shoe box without the lid and taller at the cup/flask holder end. Then I put a horizontal piece in, linking the two sides.....I then drilled out two flask size holes with a hole saw. I sat the rubber piece on top of the holes....and then covered the reverse side of the rubber with masking tape to show up the pencil marks. Then to really accurately mark out the holes....I drew around the hole saw that I'd used for the ply. I needn't have bother doing that bit as I just ran a craft knife around the hole saw anyway! Hey presto....holes were bang on in relation to the holes underneath in the ply. Glued rubber to ply! Where I made life difficult for myself was a) carpeting and not painting.
b) cutting out a notch for the handbrake and having to carpet that notch!
C) making the rear end piece taller than the front end piece and then rounding the edges off and carpeting round a radius!
What you don't see is the rubber I placed underneath which, although you don't see it, it finishes it off really well. It's been in two days and already, I've twice been asked where I bought it!
Tried it out this morning.....took my flasks and sarnies and they never budged! There's no way it's going under any pedals....physically impossible. Honestly, it's no biggy, but after seeing that German abomination made by the Dr Frankenstein Plastics Company......I thought there has to be a better way. Stepping over it is no problem. Thanks for the words of support gents....if this chancer can do it, anyone can! :thumbsup:

Nice, but anything that tall whilst useful, causes restrictions to access to the handbrake.. Try a cardboard box of roughly the same size in its place and see how you find it...

Back