Decisions, decisions…. Daily Driver

I think I am just bored with life and need something to obsess over this week. Last week I was researching cameras :rolleyes:
I get that. If you’re bored with one part of life it’s easy to start looking at maximising/tinkering with an aspect you do enjoy. And sweating the details is a nice distraction sometimes. Good to list pros and cons though before you make a rash decision in that case.

Or just sell it :fast rofl:

I think I am just bored with life and need something to obsess over this week. Last week I was researching cameras :rolleyes:
You should have a go at my life…. I haven’t got time to be bored with it…. I’m just happy to know I can get into my van, turn the key and it will do everything I ask of it…. whether that be carrying me and my kit to fulfill my grounds maintenance contract, picking up building materials for working on my house or going to the tip…. or obvious fun stuff like going on holiday (I wish:confused:)!

Car’s are boring anyway!;)

Retrofits keep you busy, keep you up to speed with VW knowledge, and mean you don’t want to / won’t want to sell the van.
And there is plenty to retrofit.. starting with LED headlights..?

go on then spill the beans what have you got your eye on...
good luck with the sale. will be a great van for someone!

go on then spill the beans what have you got your eye on...
good luck with the sale. will be a great van for someone!
I’m still undecided about what to replace it with, but I do know that I’m really cheesed off with the additional road tax for ‘luxury vehicles’ as it is really limiting my choices :whistle:

I’m still undecided about what to replace it with, but I do know that I’m really cheesed off with the additional road tax for ‘luxury vehicles’ as it is really limiting my choices :whistle:
Have you considered something older?

I bought a 2012 535D as a temporary replacement for my van. 18 months on and I'm still loving it. OK, that might not be the right thing for you, but there are many more interesting cars that needn't cost too much to run/own if you can accept a few miles and an old number plate.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

What can I say :whistle:

Have you considered something older?

I bought a 2012 535D as a temporary replacement for my van. 18 months on and I'm still loving it. OK, that might not be the right thing for you, but there are many more interesting cars that needn't cost too much to run/own if you can accept a few miles and an old number plate.

Good shout, have been looking at some myself :thumbsup:

Just to conclude this post - the van was sold to WBAV on Saturday.

I am currently driving our ‘shopping car’ Toyota IQ that was the wife’s but we kept it when she got a new one.

So, now with cash in my hand I am in a better negotiating position for looking but still undecided :thumbsup:

With only a couple of weeks til the new reg on 1st September there may be a new load of trade-ins appearing too.

What can I say :whistle:

Good shout, have been looking at some myself :thumbsup:

Just to conclude this post - the van was sold to WBAV on Saturday.

I am currently driving our ‘shopping car’ Toyota IQ that was the wife’s but we kept it when she got a new one.

So, now with cash in my hand I am in a better negotiating position for looking but still undecided :thumbsup:

With only a couple of weeks til the new reg on 1st September there may be a new load of trade-ins appearing too.
Did WBAV knock you down much, or give you what they initially quoted?

Did WBAV knock you down much, or give you what they initially quoted?

Initially got a price from WBAV, booked an appointment for 3 days in advance (the price is ‘guaranteed’ for 4 days). Got a phone call day before appointment and the lady said they needed to adjust the price down by nearly £2K due to ‘market fluctuations’. So told them to cancel the appointment as that didn’t sound like much of a guarantee!

In the meantime I setup my profile on Motorway and uploaded photos as requested. Price they offered was less than 1st WBAV price but more than revised WBAV one.

Whilst waiting for the Motorway profile to be reviewed so they could enter van into next auction, I tried another WBAV valuation and it came back with the same as the original price, so I made an appointment for 1 hours time and rushed down there before the lady could phone me up again :whistle:

Van was not knocked down on anything like bodywork, tyres etc, but they deducted £120 for not having an owners handbook :rolleyes:

I also paid £24.95 to get money next day.

Third time I’ve used WBAV and went well each time.

Main dealer trade-in against a Golf I was interested in was less than lowest WBAV price by £500.

I've been driving a mix of my T6 and a knackered old caddy the past six years. I've just sold the caddy and got a Mk6 12 plate golf estate on 55K as we've got our first born arriving soon. Wow. I had forgotten what it was like to have some ride comfort, decent-ish sound system, comparably low road noise, and stuff that just... works.

Can't go wrong with a golf! The Mk8 estates look mint too

I've been driving a mix of my T6 and a knackered old caddy the past six years. I've just sold the caddy and got a Mk6 12 plate golf estate on 55K as we've got our first born arriving soon. Wow. I had forgotten what it was like to have some ride comfort, decent-ish sound system, comparably low road noise, and stuff that just... works.

Can't go wrong with a golf! The Mk8 estates look mint too
Recently got myself a Japanese import Golf MK5 R32 (on 67k) and it’s soooooooo goooooooooooooooooood :think smile bounce:

Golf Mk8 GTI is top of my list. Other stuff in the list includes Hyundai Tucson, Cupra Formentor, M7.5 GTI, BMW 320i, M135i and 128ti.

After 2x T6s, a Mini JCW and a Caddy in the last 6 years I *think* I am completely over spending thousands of pounds modifying stuff so needs to have all the stuff on it from the outset.

Last edited:
I sold my s3 to buy a T6 Kombi two years ago , and now due to the amount of T6s available on the market the prices have come down a lot

But on the plus side, I still have my drivers license.
We got a 69 plate S3 all black edition as the family car. It’s a lovely car to drive.
Toying with the idea of a remap on it.
Can get 365bhp with a remap alone.

Golf Mk8 GTI is top of my list. Other stuff in the list includes Hyundai Tucson, Cupra Formentor, M7.5 GTI, BMW 320i, M135i and 128ti.

I *think* I am completely over spending thousands of pounds modifying stuff so needs to have all the stuff on it from the outset.
No golf R on the list?
Same engine and platform as the S3 and 365bhp with a map alone also.

Back