I'm currently in the centre of Dijon and just filled up at an Esso at €1.42
I don't find fuel any more expensive than the uk give or take a few pennies, unless you use motorway services.
£1.25 I paid this aft, still a fair difference. When I was away I saw €1.19 in Germany and €1.06 in Luxembourg

I'm currently in the centre of Dijon and just filled up at an Esso at €1.42
I don't find fuel any more expensive than the uk give or take a few pennies, unless you use motorway services.

That was exactly what we found during the five weeks that we have had in France recently.

Go into Luxembourg if you want cheap fuel!

We'll be in Chalons-en-champagne tomorrow night and will give you a wave when we pass you Friday morning on our way to Provence..

I will be 40 mins north of you in Guignicourt for a final night of peace before a Friday battle through the delights of the English roads.

Did I not recall you were going to Portugal on the October trip @Loz?

Last edited:
Without going into the fuel debate that runs on and on, the prices I quote are for none-supermarket diesels.

I don't hunt out the cheapest fuel, but I am reluctant to pay motorway prices, when a quick trip off most exits see's fuel far more reasonable, specially when I have a 120lt tank in the MH, which cripples the bank account when she needs filling up. (Still wouldn't have it any other way though)

Without going into the fuel debate that runs on and on, the prices I quote are for none-supermarket diesels.

I don't hunt out the cheapest fuel, but I am reluctant to pay motorway prices, when a quick trip off most exits see's fuel far more reasonable, specially when I have a 120lt tank in the MH, which cripples the bank account when she needs filling up. (Still wouldn't have it any other way though)
Shame there's no discount for bulk :D

I will be 40 mins north of you in Guignicourt for a final night of peace before a Friday battle through the delights of the English roads.

Did I not recall you were going to Portugal on the October trip @Loz?
We’ll be passing on the A26 then..
not Portugal, heading down towards Avignon for the week.

We’ll be passing on the A26 then..
not Portugal, heading down towards Avignon for the week.

A beautiful area. We've been to Domaine de Massereau which is an hour from Avignon.

I will be leaving Dijon around 9ish heading up the A26. Let's see if I can get a shot of you passing by. How many jacked up BlackBerry T6s on Black steels, running UK plates can there be over here ;)

I’m catching the euro tunnel at 12:20 so you might already be at your destination by the time we get near you.

Thanks for the replies. Think I’ll stick to 80 in the country and 50 in towns/villages unless I see a very clear signs saying something else, and yes I’ll use waze too. And keep my eyes peeled for cunningly hidden cameras. I’ve always loved travelling through the back roads in France by car, so much more fun than the autoroutes, but this will be the 1st time in our new van.
Old thread and old question but I know this one: they recently changed from 90 to 80 on rural single carriageway roads. I remember seeing news articles about some people were not happy and started putting up their own signs! :rofl:

Hopefully, this info will be relevant again for us soon!

Assuming you are leaving Spain from Bilbao or Santander fill up with wine and Diesel on the way back. Wine is cheaper away from the ferry ports.

If you are driving down from Calais don’t underestimate just how big France is, it’s a long journey.
For three years on the trot we set of for Spain intending to meander our way down spending a week In each direction travelling and then two weeks in Spain.
We never made it past Bordeaux as we just got distracted with the diversity in France.
In the fourth year we made a bigger effort, got a toll tag and actually did it, but its a long tedious trip and the sites didn’t really suit us. Glad we did it but not rushing to do it again.
We did consider taking the ferry to Spain but dog cabins are like hens teeth, it’s expensive and the Bay of Biscay can be a bit ‘bouncy’.

Last edited:
Whilst it’s true that France is a big country, you can do it in one hit if you want to get to Spain (or back to the UK).
We did Burgos in Spain to St Malo in one go, using the motorways. Stuck to the speed limit the whole way.
It’s not the best way to see France, but we wanted to spend some time in St Malo.

The best way to get to Spain is an overnight ferry to Bilbao or Santander. The North coast of Spain is good, and the Picos mountains are just inland.

Pete

Thanks to you all for your advice. I’m still a bit apprehensive though not sure what’s what as regards, ferry,driving (wrong side ) and getting lost could really do with following someone who’s going . Not confident enough to go it alone .Well not yet anyway

Just take your time & have sat Nav with a back up.
If you get lost , stop take stock and replan .
Go for it !!

We use TomTom Satnav plus Google Maps on my iPhone - it's just a case of following them.
If you haven't driven abroad much, then start with France for a long weekend trip.

Pete

Thanks to you all for your advice. I’m still a bit apprehensive though not sure what’s what as regards, ferry,driving (wrong side ) and getting lost could really do with following someone who’s going . Not confident enough to go it alone .Well not yet anyway
If you don’t have a satnav I’d advise getting one, it takes the strain out of driving.
Part of the adventure is seeing where it takes you, I’ve had some great ‘alternative‘ routes. We’ve crossed Spain several times, be prepared for scorching heat in the summer and don’t be too surprised to find ice and snow on the high routes from late Autumn.
Day to day living is very cheap, plenty of small restaurants and cafes where you can get a limited choice 3 course meal for two with a bottle of vino, water and coffee for 20 Euros. It makes you realise just how much we get ripped off eating out in the UK.

Be careful where you are heading, Spain has locked down an area in Catalonia after a sharp rise in Infections.
Might be safer going to Wuhan?

We were in the same position when we first got ours. I would suggest you keep your first European trip simple. Book on Eurotunnel, I suggest this as they have a train every hour and it’s easy to change your time/day and if you roll up late they just put you on the next train so no stress.
Stick to northern/mid France, it’s beautiful, sites are plentiful, driving is easy and if your not happy it’s easy to get home.
Use your first trip as a confidence builder and an opportunity to learn the ropes.
if you would like a little itinerary and some suggested sites just let me know, been doing it for years now so can make some suggestion.

Back