And don't forget to make sure that you have everything necessary for driving in Europe. Different countries have different requirements so you'll need to do your research but I'm thinking of stuff like headlight deflectors, spare bulbs, high viz gilets, triangles, breathalysers as well as car documentation (and the list goes go on!). There are also rules about using speed camera warnings in some countries and heavy penalties if you get caught. Driving on the other side of the road is also the one time when I don't mind the Mrs keeping an eye on what I'm doing (and vice versa).

And don't forget to make sure that you have everything necessary for driving in Europe. Different countries have different requirements so you'll need to do your research but I'm thinking of stuff like headlight deflectors, spare bulbs, high viz gilets, triangles, breathalysers as well as car documentation (and the list goes go on!). There are also rules about using speed camera warnings in some countries and heavy penalties if you get caught. Driving on the other side of the road is also the one time when I don't mind the Mrs keeping an eye on what I'm doing (and vice versa).
Also remember for Spain and Italy, any protrusion from the main body (bike rack/storage box) needs red/white diagonal strips sign even if it has a lighting board. Unfortunately they are different for Spain and Italy. I use a sign which is reversible and removable as it is not needed in the Uk for anything under 1m

Also remember for Spain and Italy, any protrusion from the main body (bike rack/storage box) needs red/white diagonal strips sign even if it has a lighting board. Unfortunately they are different for Spain and Italy. I use a sign which is reversible and removable as it is not needed in the Uk for anything under 1m
Everyday is a school day.

I have driven down to Spain (basically, we go to Perpignan) every summer for about 15 years. And I can recommend going down the med side (Paris, Orleans, Clermont-Ferrand, Barcelona), if you travel through the night it’s so easy and you’ll be in Spain for breakfast (11 hrs from tunnel). This route also goes over the Millau bridge which is quite impressive (in the daylight at least). Travelling at night misses all the traffic and it’s a really nice drive all the way.

I have driven down to Spain (basically, we go to Perpignan) every summer for about 15 years. And I can recommend going down the med side (Paris, Orleans, Clermont-Ferrand, Barcelona), if you travel through the night it’s so easy and you’ll be in Spain for breakfast (11 hrs from tunnel). This route also goes over the Millau bridge which is quite impressive (in the daylight at least). Travelling at night misses all the traffic and it’s a really nice drive all the way.
I've just mapped out, following your route, all the way to Gibraltar along the coast. Its just under 2000 mile from my door and google says 35 hrs driving.
Depending on how this covid pans out, I'd quite like to take 3-4 weeks out and meander down, nothing booked just finding sites along the way when I see somewhere nice.
Not wanting to hijack this thread but has anyone ever driven to Gibraltar? (It does involve Spain).

Late last year we got the ferry to Santander, stayed on the Northern Spain coast for a bit then drove down through Spain and into Portugal on the Algarve, then back up via the coast near Lisbon. Then back up through France.

More info here:

Happy to have a chat offline if you want.

Pete

I've just mapped out, following your route, all the way to Gibraltar along the coast. Its just under 2000 mile from my door and google says 35 hrs driving.
Depending on how this covid pans out, I'd quite like to take 3-4 weeks out and meander down, nothing booked just finding sites along the way when I see somewhere nice.
Not wanting to hijack this thread but has anyone ever driven to Gibraltar? (It does involve Spain).
Why stop there? :thumbsup:

If anyone is going to do this I would recommend getting off the autoroute at CF and going through the hills and villages, then see the Millau bridge from the valley (much more impressive). We have not had time to do this yet but hope to do it in the van soon

Not wishing to steal the thread, but can't find anywhere else to post.
So, having taken a Motorhome to Torre del Mar and Cartagena areas of Spain x 3. Used the Channel Ferry and the Santander / Bilbao several times.
Last time Jan 2020 was Portsmouth to Caen, saved 200 miles and a nice smooth ferry. Better value to do Portsmouth to Santander in my opinion.
Portugal fuel was 30 cents dearer than Spain which is about the same as France. Best or cheapest is Angora, have paid as low as 81 cents and last time was still under 1Euro.
So my Question is, does anyone have any knowledge when P and O are taking bookings for February 2022. Portsmouth - Santander?

Not wishing to steal the thread, but can't find anywhere else to post.
So, having taken a Motorhome to Torre del Mar and Cartagena areas of Spain x 3. Used the Channel Ferry and the Santander / Bilbao several times.
Last time Jan 2020 was Portsmouth to Caen, saved 200 miles and a nice smooth ferry. Better value to do Portsmouth to Santander in my opinion.
Portugal fuel was 30 cents dearer than Spain which is about the same as France. Best or cheapest is Angora, have paid as low as 81 cents and last time was still under 1Euro.
So my Question is, does anyone have any knowledge when P and O are taking bookings for February 2022. Portsmouth - Santander?
I think P&O Customer Services would give you the most reliable answer.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Thanks DXX,
Trawled through all the travel companies and found (simple when you persist) www.poferries.com Portsmouth -Santander 9.00am sail for 1st Feb so a day crossing, cabin not required, currently £381 single crossing.

Followed that link and they aren’t showing Portsmouth to Santander route at all!

Thanks DXX,
Trawled through all the travel companies and found (simple when you persist) www.poferries.com Portsmouth -Santander 9.00am sail for 1st Feb so a day crossing, cabin not required, currently £381 single crossing.
As an ex seaman I can reliably say there aren’t many good days in the Bay of Biscay in February, sometimes a cabin is a worthwhile expense.
I think it’s a 26 hour crossing and they don’t slow down for much.

Y
As an ex seaman I can reliably say there aren’t many good days in the Bay of Biscay in February, sometimes a cabin is a worthwhile expense.
I think it’s a 26 hour crossing and they don’t slow down for much.
You can do Newhaven to Dieppe & beat the Santander ferry to Spain. It’s our chosen route. Although we now take it steady as we aren’t time constrained, we have a route from Dieppe to Bilbao that avoids French autoroutes (and costs) takes in some stunning French scenery, has cheaper fuel & food, and free aires. Takes us a day & a half from Dieppe to Spanish border.

Back