Fitting Eberspacher D2 - My Experience

Nice write up. :thumbsup:
A couple of pointers for anybody looking to fit their own.
You should really fit the stand pipe into the fuel sender unit (not directly into the fuel tank skin), Its best to wire the heater directly to the leisure battery and not through a fuse distribution board and the exhaust should have a 2mm hole drilled in it at the lowest point to allow condensation build up to drain out of.

Slidepods is correct about not drilling the tank skin to fit a standpipe, you really should fit the specific T6 fuel pick-up kit that fits into the sender plate. This is because of Type Approval, the correct Eberspacher sender mounted fuel pick up is type approved, so using it maintains the vehicle approval, whereas the old skin-mounted standpipe isn't type approved (it's to do with weakening the structure of the tank and crash testing).
You will probably be ok fitting your own heater using the standpipe and it's unlikely anyone would ever know, but a professional installer wouldn't take the chance.

Slidepods is correct about not drilling the tank skin to fit a standpipe, you really should fit the specific T6 fuel pick-up kit that fits into the sender plate. This is because of Type Approval, the correct Eberspacher sender mounted fuel pick up is type approved, so using it maintains the vehicle approval, whereas the old skin-mounted standpipe isn't type approved (it's to do with weakening the structure of the tank and crash testing).
You will probably be ok fitting your own heater using the standpipe and it's unlikely anyone would ever know, but a professional installer wouldn't take the chance.

Well today I learnt something new before I even got out of bed. :)
Webasto are now offering a kit for fitting to adblue T6's that does not require dropping the fuel tank. Not used one yet but expecting a delivery of about a dozen of them today so I will be interested to see how the install goes.

Webasto are now offering a kit for fitting to adblue T6's that does not require dropping the fuel tank. Not used one yet but expecting a delivery of about a dozen of them today so I will be interested to see how the install goes.

Webasto do a lot of kits that tap into fuel lines, it's certainly easier especially on the T6 with adblue. Eberspacher very rarely tap into fuel lines.
It will be intersting to hear how you get on with these webasto kits.

What is this latest offering for a T6? - I haven't seen anything new yet. Any chance of putting up a pic with part nos when you get the kits? Pretty please.:)
You can use a return line so long as the return goes deep enough into the tank but not a feed as it is pressurized by the tank pump. Fuel line is OK on a already fitted water heater also.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but when everything is installed is it just a case of switching the heater on or does it have to be primed or anything?

I've fitted a 2kW chinese one to mine, needed to prime the fuel lines to get fuel up to the heater inlet then it was just a case of pressing the ON button and letting it do its thing.
If you don't prime it, it will go through its start up routine but shut down when it doesn't detect that it's getting hotter when it should be, sometimes a repeated start up will get it working but it is easier to prime the lines to make it easy on the heater, If the controller has a prime function, be sure not to overdo it as you don't want to flood the burner before it's got going.
It takes a while to start getting heat out of the hot air ducts but once it's going it warms the van up nicely.

I've fitted a 2kW chinese one to mine, needed to prime the fuel lines to get fuel up to the heater inlet then it was just a case of pressing the ON button and letting it do its thing.
If you don't prime it, it will go through its start up routine but shut down when it doesn't detect that it's getting hotter when it should be, sometimes a repeated start up will get it working but it is easier to prime the lines to make it easy on the heater, If the controller has a prime function, be sure not to overdo it as you don't want to flood the burner before it's got going.
It takes a while to start getting heat out of the hot air ducts but once it's going it warms the van up nicely.
Thanks stupid question number 2: How do I prime it?

I don't think there's a priming function on those, you can do it manually by applying a pulsed 12V feed to the fuel pump but that might take ages, so just make sure your battery is fully charged and go for the repeated start attempt route.

With a short fuel line run like you have on a T6, the heater will fire up pretty easily, probably on the second or third attempt, just switch the controller to a high setting and let the heater go through it's startup sequence
which take a couple of minutes, don't keep switching it on and off before it has chance to fire.

Just a note for anyone dropping the tank on an adblue T6, I did this today and I could not get the filler out past the adblue connections, just wasn't having it. So dropped both adblue connections using the "press in" clips, took the whole section out through the filler space, and then it was a breeze. Don;t struggle and risk damaging your filler, just take the connections off. Oh and have a clean bowl ready and you can catch your adblue as it dribbles out, only a couple of litres came out of mine

I used the Eberspacher standpipe kit, very straightforward, only issue was to make sure no plastic swarf got into the sender unit.

I woke up in a cold sweat last night, realising I had not fitted the standpipe with a nyloc. Will the standard eberspacher m8 nut really hold it in place and not shake loose? Think I might do the the whole job again to put a nyloc on.... unless anyone can reassure me?

It will be fine with the standard nut, if it is tight enough to seal the standpipe to the top of the sender, it will stay put

Did anyone have details of the Webasto fuel connection kit please? I have looked online but can't seem to find one.
No reason it wouldn't work with a Planar/Autoterm 2kw heater?

Standard fit Page 33. £5 standpipe from Ebay. I haven't seen one of these new kits yet.

Manual here

Last edited by a moderator:
Back