[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

Factory fitted parking heater, which has a role in heating the engine as well, in cold temperatures, is wired to the second battery for cars until 2018 (as I have read a few posts in here). I guess I need to see how the harnesses go under the seat, and if it really is true or it actually takes current from both batteries after opening the relay (or maybe, there is a second relay under the seat which would feed the factory webasto, in a certain condition = engine not running). Otherwise, why would they limit the parking heater to 2 hours? If it is bellow zero, you won't charge your lithium battery anyways, but a little bit of help to starter battery is always welcomed.

Factory fitted parking heater, which has a role in heating the engine as well, in cold temperatures, is wired to the second battery for cars until 2018 (as I have read a few posts in here).
Correct

I guess I need to see how the harnesses go under the seat, and if it really is true or it actually takes current from both batteries after opening the relay (or maybe, there is a second relay under the seat which would feed the factory webasto, in a certain condition = engine not running).
There are no additional relays for webasto and as you know, the oem split charge relay just connects the two batteries together. So, when engine is running webasto does consume from both batteries but it doesn’t really matter as alternator is providing.

When engine is not running, webasto takes it’s power from leisure battery <2018 or starter battery >2018. I don’t recall the exact cutoff date, mine is built 2017 and it was wired on leisure battery side. Also I don’t know the reason for the change, seems to me not that smart move.

Otherwise, why would they limit the parking heater to 2 hours?

My guess is it’s just to limit battery consumption. Not sure but I think there’s no such limits when engine is running and webasto is run automatically as necessary. The primary job of the coolant aux heater is to preheat the engine though and it could be argued heating beyond 2 hours would not benefit the engine in any conditions.

Last edited:
Lol .... Yeh it's surprisingly small for a 50A charger.

And no heat sink !!!

It's almost defying the laws of physics...... Well maybe not.

They saying that it's very efficient so doesn't generate much heat .... I'll get it wired up ASAP for a good test

Victron Orion XS 12/12/50

lets get on with testing this unit.

well rip out the trusty old Renogy DC50S DC-DC charger . . . and swap it for the Vic XS.

1705672765635.png

on the bench you can see the size difference, ,

1705672785512.png1705672795660.png

time to make up my normal 50A Anderson connector for power IN & OUT plus a BCM Eng Run feed (+IGN)

1705672852395.png

back out to the van. . .

1705672869699.png

its tiny compared to other units. . .

the closest thing is prob the new small Renogy or the Auz REDARC.

1705672943431.png

first powerup shows a FW update. . .

also worth noting that the unit has a unique BT passkey that on the sticker on the rear of the unit.

so not the normal victron 000000 passkey.

1705673072137.png

the main pages. . .

stautus,

1705673099092.png

graph,

1705673109777.png

history,

1705673121468.png

setting page, with current limiter.

1705673137926.png

Lifepo4 was the Factory default in this case,

1705673162191.png

it shows LOW TEMP cut off below 5c, . . but i couldn't see any temp reading from anywhere?

1705673198669.png

i switch off the auto setting as i had a hardwire link to the H-Pin like the normal Orion setup.

1705673240593.png

standard 30A current limit set and the charger quickly moved from BULK to ABSORB,

(again no mention of the TEMP as we are bello the 5c flag?)

1705673328858.png

the dash view looks good. . .

1705673372176.png

the tends chart also not showing the Temp?

1705673401222.png

so next we need to look into the VE Direct BT Local area conection,

and the VE Port hardwire link to the CERBO for the online portal. . .

1705673506104.png1705673525082.png

edit:

Temperature-compensated charging:
The optimum charge voltage of a lead-acid battery is inversely proportional to temperature. The Orion XS measures the ambienttemperature at the start of the charging phase and compensates for the temperature during charging. The temperature ismeasured again when the battery charger is in low current mode during absorption or storage. Special settings for a cold or warmenvironment are therefore not required.

Adjustable charge currentThe charge current is adjustable with a minimum step size of 0.1A. Configurable with VictronConnect.

Low-temperature shutdownPrevents damage to lithium batteries by turning off the charger at low temperatures. Configurable with VictronConnect.

++++

1705754821309.png

Last edited:
Going by the size it looks like you'd be able to fit one of these alongside a LiFePO4 seat base battery, under the driver/passenger seat, right? With space for other components.

Going by the size it looks like you'd be able to fit one of these alongside a LiFePO4 seat base battery, under the driver/passenger seat, right? With space for other components.
yep, defo,

i need to have the seat back out to get to the CERBO and VE-Direct wires,. . . so ill double check.

more on the Orion XS.

1705754947945.png
in the T6 we use the H pin to POS method.

1705754972978.png

ah !!! found it.

Low temperature cut-off (configurable for lithium batteries)Note that this setting only takes effect when the battery temperature isshared by other devices, for example by a BMV in a VE.Smart network

so the XS doesnt have its own temp sensor. . . . it needs a seperate one, either via VE network. (BT or hard wired?) from a BMS shunt or other?

1705755074712.png

ill go so is i can add it to the vans VE smart network thats setup from the Smarty Shunt. . .

tbc:

edit. . .

hold on. . . our BMV shunt is set to broadcast VE Smart temp data over BT.

1705756371362.png

but the Orion XS is not showing any VE Smart options?

1705756397346.png

so, looks like its just VE Direct hard wire link to the CERBO for now?

+++++

yep confirmed via Victron Tech support. . .

its not ready in the FW yet . . .

1705756323854.png

1706108162543.png
1706108220218.png

January 16th, 2024
Engineered from the ground up, the Orion XS redefines adaptive DC-DC charging. For use in dual battery systems charged with an (intelligent) alternator. This device not only ensures top-tier performance but also guarantees the safety of your system.

Stay in charge with configurable input and output currents, and rest assured that your Orion XS will run at full capacity up to 40°C. The innovative aluminium circuit board cooling technology delivers an astonishing 98% efficiency without the need for fans.

As an integral part of your Victron system, the Orion XS offers full (remote) monitoring and control capabilities, giving you complete command of your device and system.
  • Fully configurable
  • Engine shutdown detection
  • Intelligent charge algorithms
  • Works with VictronConnect
  • Remote monitoring optional
For more information

Last edited:
Confused @Dellmassive
You only ran the Renogy at 30a due to the Anderson plugs getting hot, so why did you need to buy this 50a Victron and will the Anderson’s not get hot with a blue flavoured 50a then? :whistle:

Yeh is set the XS to 30A for now.

The great thing is that I can ramp up the power if I need too.

Like camping for example, I can run the engine for 30mins and set the dc-dc to full 50A.

Same with the Renogy dc50s

I use Anderson's for quick disconnects.

And day to day I run at 30A.

I don't need a new charger, I just want one.

Like @roadtripper mentioned before.... It's a hobby....

Well in my case more of an obsession.

But looks like the XS is very early stages.... Just had it hooked up via ve direct and no coms with the cerbo.

So will have to wait for new FW.

20240120_151516.jpg

Dell if I cant repair my CTEK have you any experience of the 50A Renogy IP67 battery charger with MPPT - Renogy are doing them for 259.99 and they look a bit smaller than the DCC50S and I need to get everything under my drivers seat.

Not yet.... Looking at it it looks surprisingly similar to the REDARC units....

I've had it In my basket for weeks.

But recently purchased the new Victron 50A dc-dc to play with instead.

I'd love to get my hands on the new Renogy with a screen as well.

For those that asked about the Victron XS size,

here it is in the seat base next to the Fogstar 230ah,

1705838406961.png

it will easily fit at the front next to an isolator,

1705838440388.png

so down either side of a seatbase battery . . .

1705838474987.png1705838501779.png1705838525264.png

but for me, all my connections are in the passenger seat base. . .

so im mounting it there. . . .

1705838610243.png1705838634085.png

Nice, good to see it'll go in multiple locations next to a big seat base battery, opens up options!

Not yet.... Looking at it it looks surprisingly similar to the REDARC units....

I've had it In my basket for weeks.

But recently purchased the new Victron 50A dc-dc to play with instead.

I'd love to get my hands on the new Renogy with a screen as well.
Hi Dellmassive

im thinking of ordering the new unit with the new screen for my van. I’m not in a rush to install it, so I could send to you to ‘play with’ and test first if you want / have time?

Hi Dellmassive

im thinking of ordering the new unit with the new screen for my van. I’m not in a rush to install it, so I could send to you to ‘play with’ and test first if you want / have time?
sure, i was soooooo close to getting one + screen.

but when the chance for a Vic` XS popped up i couldn't resist.

DM me if your interested. @Dellmassive

Back