Is a sink really worth having?

jedkk

VIP Member
I’m just starting my kitchen pod layout and love the look of the stuff from the plyguys. I notice that they never have a sink in any of their units. This got me to thinking how much is a sink really used. This is my third van and I’ve always included them before but are they an essential items. By sink I mean a plumbed in with cold tap and pump etc.

We didn’t use our sink once in the old van. Only reason I’m planning one for this conversion is that I think people expect one - I.e. resale value. I’ve no doubt it’ll never get used by us.

I don't plan on having a sink in my van. It'll have a boiling-water tap in the front and the rear kitchen will have a cold-water outlet. As @Chris Sherwood, we plan to use a washing-up bowl.

The only downside I foresee is that, strictly speaking, the van won't conform the the DVLA's definition of a campervan without a fixed sink, so commercial vehicle speed limits will apply.

Reactions: CAB
We do use our sink to wash up and drain vegetables, pasta etc. I was just stating that the alternative, if you don't have one is a bowl.

Just don't get me started on gas grills...

It’s somewhere to pour away waste water. We have never used ours to wash up. It’s also handy for holding a hot coffee pot. I would put one in another van if we did one.

Pete

I don't plan on having a sink in my van. It'll have a boiling-water tap in the front and the rear kitchen will have a cold-water outlet. As @Chris Sherwood, we plan to use a washing-up bowl.

The only downside I foresee is that, strictly speaking, the van won't conform the the DVLA's definition of a campervan without a fixed sink, so commercial vehicle speed limits will apply.
Not entirely sure you need to show a sink for the camper conversion. I know you need a least a one ring hob and associated storage. I guess any potential resale value would improve with a sink fitted

Not entirely sure you need to show a sink for the camper conversion. I know you need a least a one ring hob and associated storage. I guess any potential resale value would improve with a sink fitted
You're quite right - my bad - it's my lack of a fixed cooking appliance that means it doesn't conform to a campervan. I was going to have a single-ring induction hob fitted, but decided a better option would be a free-standing induction hob that I could use inside or outside the van.

I have a square sink, worth having as with a cover it really doesn’t take up space.
Washing up is done in a multi-purpose bucket (most useful van implement there is) as it is easier, makes less mess and the sink isn’t big enough for the all of the dishes.

I use mine. When I'm on my own and just to rinse a cup or bowl or wash my hands. I think it's useful. But then it's either only me or me and the missus. If you've got a couple of kids with you I guess it's probably not big enough for washing up. I suppose you have to think whether that facility is more important than a bit of extra counter space. I liked having it there when it was cold outside and I didn't have to get out of my nice warm van and walk to the washing up area.

Had the van 5 years now and never used the sink for washing/washing up, we just put dirty plates and cups in it if we're out for the day

I’m just starting my kitchen pod layout and love the look of the stuff from the plyguys. I notice that they never have a sink in any of their units. This got me to thinking how much is a sink really used. This is my third van and I’ve always included them before but are they an essential items. By sink I mean a plumbed in with cold tap and pump etc.

I've had my van kitted out with their stuff and haven't missed having a sink once, a collapsible washing bowl works just as well and uses a lot less space.

No didn't even bother fitting one as you gain a lot more storage space and even when we had a caravan we used to do the washing up in the site sinks just seemed easier !

We have a CAN sink/2 burner hob/cold tap unit, & use the sink all the time, especially when we’re off grid. It just keeps the water in one place & is more convenient for filling the kettle on the move.
It all depends on how you use your van & the way you organise things to suit you. Each to their own.

We don’t actually use the tap (partly because we always forget to fill the tank when arriving somewhere and partly because it’s gone a bit manky now from not being used) but the sink and drain is really handy to have, saves having to open the door when slooshing cups etc and we have washed up in it many times having found a bowl that fits perfectly (link from here somewhere) it means that you can pile stuff up then either wash it in the van, out on the table or at the site sink. We could maybe have another draw in place of the sink but the flexibility it gives us makes the sink more valuable (for us at least)

We don’t actually use the tap (partly because we always forget to fill the tank when arriving somewhere and partly because it’s gone a bit manky now from not being used) but the sink and drain is really handy to have, saves having to open the door when slooshing cups etc and we have washed up in it many times having found a bowl that fits perfectly (link from here somewhere) it means that you can pile stuff up then either wash it in the van, out on the table or at the site sink. We could maybe have another draw in place of the sink but the flexibility it gives us makes the sink more valuable (for us at least)
Same here. Our gas kettle & tea mugs live in the sink, so the space isn’t wasted. Also when we’re skiing, we defrost our frozen meals in the sink during the day whilst we’re out skiing.

Back