Leisure power upgrade

Fair enough but don’t think you will use it much, especially if you are charging the Ecoflow from the DC-DC. With 2-300ah of lifepo4, ??ah of Ecoflow you have 7-10 days of power before allowing for solar and/or driving. Solar will give you a good top up each day (apart from depths of winter) and if you are driving regularly that will further improve the situation.

If you do go for one I would recommend not hardwiring it so you can remove it for use on other vehicles or as a power pack. You can get a fused, quick release cable to attach to the LB or busbars and have that ‘hardwired’. The other end just plugs into a 240v socket powered by the EHU (you could extend one into the cupboard or wherever the charger will be). You can get a wall mount for it too. I bought an IP65 to fit and have run the cables but never actually put it in the van as I I’ve found it’s not needed with solar and DC-DC (which is off most of the time as solar is proving to be a game changer for me).
This sounds like the solution.
As much as think it won’t get used much I’d rather have there if needed and it’s not a lot of money to do.
Once I have bought everything and start my install I will seek your and everyone elses wisdom again. Thanks
I just want to make sure I’m buying all the correct bits just now.

One of these pre-wired gives you the option to add the charger later or to remove the charger:

IMG_0274.png
What have you got looking after the starter battery? The danger is that goes flat with doors opening, lights coming on etc. I’d highly recommend the Ablemail AMT12-2 for about £65. Small and very simple to fit next to the DC-DC (3 small cables between the two) and it will keep the SB topped up from the LB. Works brilliantly with solar there too.

One of these pre-wired gives you the option to add the charger later or to remove the charger:

View attachment 253741
What have you got looking after the starter battery? The danger is that goes flat with doors opening, lights coming on etc. I’d highly recommend the Ablemail AMT12-2 for about £65. Small and very simple to fit next to the DC-DC (3 small cables between the two) and it will keep the SB topped up from the LB. Works brilliantly with solar there too.
That’s great thanks. I will buy the fused connector for it and add an Ablemail to my shopping list. Sounds a great bit of kit.

Where’s best place to buy the Ablemail from ?
I got mine from simply split charge with a few other bits.

Simply Split Charge for me too. Excellent service. Ablemail also respond very quickly if you have any questions.
I’m needing a cable kit or cables and connectors for all this gear and will order it same time for free delivery but not sure what I’m needing.
Have you got suggestions on what to buy? I’ve got a couple mega fuses and some short battery cables on the way from T6blo

Another thumbs up for the Ablemail. I am definitely adding the Ablemail AMT12-2 trickle charger.

Often, the starter battery is overlooked to some degree. The Ablemail would allow you to keep your starter battery maintained to optimal condition from your (ample :thumbsup: ) leisure battery circuit. For example, if you have ancillary items running from the starter battery, such as Dash Cam or Tracker/Immobiliser, and you don't use the van for a while the starter battery power will become depleted.

I am in basically the same position as yourself regarding the general electrical upgrade and have included the Ablemail, as it seems to make good sense to do so. Cost of the unit @ approx £65 of the Kings finest and is a worthwhile investment, I think.

Good luck with your installations!

Another thumbs up for the Ablemail. I am definitely adding the Ablemail AMT12-2 trickle charger.

Often, the starter battery is overlooked to some degree. The Ablemail would allow you to keep your starter battery maintained to optimal condition from your (ample :thumbsup: ) leisure battery circuit. For example, if you have ancillary items running from the starter battery, such as Dash Cam or Tracker/Immobiliser, and you don't use the van for a while the starter battery power will become depleted.

I am in basically the same position as yourself regarding the general electrical upgrade and have included the Ablemail, as it seems to make good sense to do so. Cost of the unit @ approx £65 of the Kings finest and is a worthwhile investment, I think.

Good luck with your installations!
Yes, no more starter battery anxiety. One of the more important purchases!

I’m going to order the cables and buy all the connectors separately.
What thickness of cable will I need to go between each battery?
It’s a LWB I’ve got so will measure out what I need.
I’m not sure what wire connectors and terminals I will need. Am I best waiting until all the components are here to see what each one requires before I order ? Or is there a standard kind I can order a bag of?
I’m a tradesman so am very handy at most things and am confident I can complete all this work myself with the great advice I’m getting from you guys. :thumbsup:

I’m going to order the cables and buy all the connectors separately.
What thickness of cable will I need to go between each battery?
It’s a LWB I’ve got so will measure out what I need.
I’m not sure what wire connectors and terminals I will need. Am I best waiting until all the components are here to see what each one requires before I order ? Or is there a standard kind I can order a bag of?
I’m a tradesman so am very handy at most things and am confident I can complete all this work myself with the great advice I’m getting from you guys. :thumbsup:
You should be able to get it all off SSC while you are at it. The diagram below shows the cable size required depending on length and current. Aim to be within the <3% voltage drop range. You need to allow for the positive run and the negative cable to the chassis. No need to allow for the return run through the chassis.

I used midi fuses where possible rather than Mega as they are much smaller. SSC also do a very handy fuse box / busbar which is a great way of tidying things up depending on your lay out (second picture). You can get the various ring connectors while you are at it. I’d buy a bit extra of everything to allow for mistakes and spare fuses to keep in the van.

IMG_0257.jpeg

IMG_0283.png

You should be able to get it all off SSC while you are at it. The diagram below shows the cable size required depending on length and current. Aim to be within the <3% voltage drop range. You need to allow for the positive run and the negative cable to the chassis. No need to allow for the return run through the chassis.

I used midi fuses where possible rather than Mega as they are much smaller. SSC also do a very handy fuse box / busbar which is a great way of tidying things up depending on your lay out (second picture). You can get the various ring connectors while you are at it. I’d buy a bit extra of everything to allow for mistakes and spare fuses to keep in the van.

View attachment 253832

View attachment 253833
That’s great thanks.
Think I will hang fire on ordering the cables until I’ve worked out how long they are going to be. Also will wait and see what terminals etc are on various bits once they arrive so I’ve got a better idea of what to order.
By then I will hopefully have a wiring diagram on all my install. Will need help with that too ;):D:geek:
I’m going to buy the roamer 230SMART4 battery after @Dellmassive’s fantastic help of comparing it with the fogstar eco. Thanks Lee.
The roamer is a far superior battery so I don’t mind paying the extra £300 for it.

That’s great thanks.
Think I will hang fire on ordering the cables until I’ve worked out how long they are going to be. Also will wait and see what terminals etc are on various bits once they arrive so I’ve got a better idea of what to order.
By then I will hopefully have a wiring diagram on all my install. Will need help with that too ;):D:geek:
I’m going to buy the roamer 230SMART4 battery after @Dellmassive’s fantastic help of comparing it with the fogstar eco. Thanks Lee.
The roamer is a far superior battery so I don’t mind paying the extra £300 for it.
A wise choice young man! Their help is legendary, don't forget you get a free install guide/help service with them.

A wise choice young man! Their help is legendary, don't forget you get a free install guide/help service with them.
Never knew that Wayne. Thats great. :)
I will speak to them before I order and ask for help with my wiring diagram.
I’m looking forward to doing all this now.
Once I’ve learned everything and finished my install I will be doing exactly the same to my pals T5.1 camper.
We will both be able to be miles off grid up the glens fishing for as long as we want without worrying about running out of power :waving:

I went and had a look to find out about this free install guide from Roamer.
It appears to cost £120 now Wayne.
This is what site says. I’m only planning on spending £840 with them on my battery and ordered victron and cables etc elsewhere.
I’m not sure if this means the £120 will get taken off the price of my battery or only if I spend over £1200 with them?
IMG_6548.png

Started making a very basic fag packet wiring diagram using my very limited knowledge.
I’ve based this on one of @Dellmasives wiring diagrams that I’ve adapted.
I’ve still not worked out length and thickness of cables or what sizes of fuses to use.
Does this look ok?
I appreciate it’s a good bit more complicated than that but I’m a quick learner.
If anyone has a better more detailed wiring diagram that I could follow or adapt to my set up that would be great thanks.

IMG_6550.jpeg

Don't forget that the smart shunt needs to be the only thing connected to the LB negative terminal. Then all other negatives connect to the other side, generally via a busbar or via chassis ground.

You won't need any connection to the SB for the shunt, all it's measuring is in/out for the LB.

You'll have negatives from the Orion 50a, the MPPT, the Ablemail, the EHU charger - and the negative from the Sargent (presumably that's all your DC loads).

I went and had a look to find out about this free install guide from Roamer.
It appears to cost £120 now Wayne.
This is what site says. I’m only planning on spending £840 with them on my battery and ordered victron and cables etc elsewhere.
I’m not sure if this means the £120 will get taken off the price of my battery or only if I spend over £1200 with them?
View attachment 254257
Bummer, sorry Gord. Inflation I guess. I would give them a bell though and do a bit of begging, mention some fool of a member of the forum said you would get free advice. They are good folk!

Back