Leisure power upgrade

That’s great thanks I will pick up that PV isolator and housing.
Have you got a similar suggestion for the main isolation switch in between LB positive mega fuse and fused bus bar ?
Victron 275A or Bluesea 300A. Maybe the Bluesea given the potential output of your LB. Don’t buy cheap copies - just not worth it for £15!

Victron 275A or Bluesea 300A. Maybe the Bluesea given the potential output of your LB. Don’t buy cheap copies - just not worth it for £15!
Thanks
I’ve ordered the PV isolation switch and housing.
Is this the correct bluesea one ?

Thanks
I’ve ordered the PV isolation switch and housing.
Is this the correct bluesea one ?
That’s not a Bluesea one, it’s a copy. I’d get it from 12voltplanet, simplysplitcharge or Nohma or another reputable supplier.

I’ve ordered just about everything I need for this now.
Just got the battery, earth busbar and some PV cables left to order.
Oh and brackets for my rigid solar panel.
Here’s what I’ve ordered here.
I’ve also got 2 x 80A mega fuses and holders here as well as the solar isolation switch.
I will order the battery soon and am looking forward to starting my install now

IMG_6578.png

IMG_6579.pngIMG_6580.pngIMG_6581.pngIMG_6582.png

IMG_6577.png

Nice! You'll probably need some extra bits, have you got crimpers capable of crimping 16mm² terminals? Don't forget heatshrink.

That'll be a big old system!

Nice! You'll probably need some extra bits, have you got crimpers capable of crimping 16mm² terminals? Don't forget heatshrink.

That'll be a big old system!
No crimpers. Got some heat shrink but will probably need to order more.
Got a suggestion for crimpers that will do the job?
Doubt I will use them after I’ve completed both mine and my pals installs.

No crimpers. Got some heat shrink but will probably need to order more.
Got a suggestion for crimpers that will do the job?
Doubt I will use them after I’ve completed both mine and my pals installs.
Is 16mm² the biggest wire you're using?

And I'm assuming you'll have some insulated crimps too, for the smaller wires, for the Ablemail etc. and any 12v DC stuff you're adding like lights etc.

Is 16mm² the biggest wire you're using?

And I'm assuming you'll have some insulated crimps too, for the smaller wires, for the Ablemail etc. and any 12v DC stuff you're adding like lights etc.
I’ve got some really chunk arc welding cable that I used for my massive audio install back in the day when I used to enter car audio competitions. 5 amps 2 x 18” subs, jelly batteries and a power capacitor :slow rofl:
I was thinking of using this for the short main runs from the LB to mega 80A then to isolator then to fused busbar.
I’ve got some gold connectors left for this here so will see what I need exactly at the time. Same as the rest of the smaller crimps etc.

A big thanks to @Drive Wayne for his help with my battery.
I got a great deal on the Roamer 230SMART4 battery.
They are normally £840 but are on a deal at the moment for £769 but if you use the forum discount code T6F you get it for £730.55 delivered.
Bargain.
That saving more than paid for my big MPPT.
So that’s pretty much everything bought now and on its way. Yeeha

Is that the brand new roamer 230ah?

If so, that comes with built in CAN communication with Victron GX devices. :D

Just a thought... Ignore if you want... :rofl:

The Shunt (£80) isn't needed if you were to get a Cerbo GX (£180) with BMS-CAN input, as it'll send the SOC directly from the battery to the Cerbo GX. You'll also need the Roamer cables, and VE direct cables for your Orion and MPPT so a few extra quid there.

However, what this would give you, if you've got a 4g connection in your van, is complete monitoring of your system from anywhere with internet via your phone, the ability to add Bluetooth or wired temperature and tank sensors, set relays based on various triggers, a full colour touch display, and so on...

It's little things like not having to be within Bluetooth range to check your solar output or battery charge level...

(180w at the moment on mine)
1000010214.png

You might not care about that level of monitoring but I thought you'd like to be aware of the options, as you can do without the shunt if you went this way.

Is that the brand new roamer 230ah?

If so, that comes with built in CAN communication with Victron GX devices. :D

Just a thought... Ignore if you want... :rofl:

The Shunt (£80) isn't needed if you were to get a Cerbo GX (£180) with BMS-CAN input, as it'll send the SOC directly from the battery to the Cerbo GX. You'll also need the Roamer cables, and VE direct cables for your Orion and MPPT so a few extra quid there.

However, what this would give you, if you've got a 4g connection in your van, is complete monitoring of your system from anywhere with internet via your phone, the ability to add Bluetooth or wired temperature and tank sensors, set relays based on various triggers, a full colour touch display, and so on...

It's little things like not having to be within Bluetooth range to check your solar output or battery charge level...

(180w at the moment on mine)
View attachment 255442

You might not care about that level of monitoring but I thought you'd like to be aware of the options, as you can do without the shunt if you went this way.
I’ve already bought the shunt and will be happy with the monitoring I get from that thanks

I’ve got some really chunk arc welding cable that I used for my massive audio install back in the day when I used to enter car audio competitions. 5 amps 2 x 18” subs, jelly batteries and a power capacitor :slow rofl:
I was thinking of using this for the short main runs from the LB to mega 80A then to isolator then to fused busbar.
I’ve got some gold connectors left for this here so will see what I need exactly at the time. Same as the rest of the smaller crimps etc.
IMG20230226170120.jpg
Like this one?
I only had the one RE MX 18 fed by a JL 1000/1 but I've still got it, the 3 way components front stage, Pioneer 5 volt HU, Focal 4 channel amps... I was 40s and deaf on Talk Audio about twenty yrs ago now I'm 60s and no bumping anymore:geek: just can't part with some memories!
Used some of my 0 guage from the Roamer positive post to the battery isolator and from the negative post to the leisure shunt.

View attachment 255489
Like this one?
I only had the one RE MX 18 fed by a JL 1000/1 but I've still got it, the 3 way components front stage, Pioneer 5 volt HU, Focal 4 channel amps... I was 40s and deaf on Talk Audio about twenty yrs ago now I'm 60s and no bumping anymore:geek: just can't part with some memories!
Used some of my 0 guage from the Roamer positive post to the battery isolator and from the negative post to the leisure shunt.
I will need to take a pic of my 18”s. I’m gutting the loft soon as we’re getting solar panels fitted next month so will dig them out.
Mine are 2 x 18” Cerwin Vega strokers.
The mad looking ones with the pole in the middle of the cone and another spider on the front.
These were the speakers used to make the 70’s smash movie Earthquake.
I imported them from the USA and used a huge Rockford Fosgate punch power amplifier that ran 1800watts RMS to power them. I also had a few other punch amps running DLS audio Kevlar coned components and JL audio 10W6 subs
It recorded 151db in competition and won me a load of sounds off with cash prizes.
I also won the loudest car in Scotland competition when max power magazine came to Edinburgh haha.
I was deaf for years too :slow rofl:

@The Flying Scotsman sounds like you were a lot more hardcore than me :thumbsup:
The best I managed on a Termpro was 137dB at 29Hz in my Saxo using a single 13W7 on the 1000/1 in a 7 cube slot ported box, the box took up all the boot to just above the window line with the sub and port on top... it might have burped higher but I had tuned for the subs FS which was about 27Hz from memory and great for playing l'il John and Three Six Mafia.:geek::whistle:... I'm currently 65 with a soft hissing accompanying my every waking moment!

Back