Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

So a couple of questions. Firstly we have an Ablemail AMC 12-12-30 dc to dc charger (AMC12-12-30 - Ablemail Electronics) which I think can be reprogrammed to accept lithium. Can anyone confirm this would be okay?
I have the same DCDC. I took mine back to Ablemail for reprogramming and you can also do it yourself if you have access to the ABB-007 BT adapter.

Contact Jonathan at Ablemail for more information.

I have the same DCDC. I took mine back to Ablemail for reprogramming and you can also do it yourself if you have access to the ABB-007 BT adapter.

Contact Jonathan at Ablemail for more information.
Thanks Higgidav, that’s really helpful.

I have the Sterling BB1230 30amp charger. I will have to remove my drivers seat and swivel to reset it as I have the unit under drivers seat and also my diesel heater hot air ducting.

John.

Shouldn't need a reset, should just be able to press and hold the two buttons for about 15 seconds and then select lithium profile (it uses the first charging indicator top left) then press and hold again to save the setting.

Screenshot_20230927-195235-01.jpeg

Be aware that this may also disable the short circuit protection so that there is always live voltage on the output to wake up a shut down BMS.

This may be a daft question, but is there any good reason not to replace the main vehicle battery with a Lifepo4 type?

I’m swapping vans, and have previously fitted a 100ah Regony with 20a DC-DC under the passenger single swivel. It’s a game changer in terms of my use case of fridge/diesel heater/internal lighting for 3+ days.

My new van has a double passenger, which I may put a swivel under. I’d rather not bother with a separate leisure battery, if possible.

My thinking is to replace the vehicle starter battery with a 100ah Lifepo4. Is this a good idea? I don’t object to adding a seperate leisure battery, I just want it in the engine bay for space saving reasons and simplicity.

I always carry a little booster pack, tucked away in case of a flat starter battery, and modern Bluetooth capable batteries are easy to keep an eye on to avoid running them flat.

Vehicle will be a 2022, 150bhp, 4 motion 6 speed.

This may be a daft question, but is there any good reason not to replace the main vehicle battery with a Lifepo4 type?

I’m swapping vans, and have previously fitted a 100ah Regony with 20a DC-DC under the passenger single swivel. It’s a game changer in terms of my use case of fridge/diesel heater/internal lighting for 3+ days.

My new van has a double passenger, which I may put a swivel under. I’d rather not bother with a separate leisure battery, if possible.

My thinking is to replace the vehicle starter battery with a 100ah Lifepo4. Is this a good idea? I don’t object to adding a seperate leisure battery, I just want it in the engine bay for space saving reasons and simplicity.

I always carry a little booster pack, tucked away in case of a flat starter battery, and modern Bluetooth capable batteries are easy to keep an eye on to avoid running them flat.

Vehicle will be a 2022, 150bhp, 4 motion 6 speed.
Because the charging system on the vehicle is designed for lead acid batteries & won’t charge the Lithium correctly. It’ll come eventually.

Because the charging system on the vehicle is designed for lead acid batteries & won’t charge the Lithium correctly. It’ll come eventually.
I think it already has on motorbikes, certainly that seems to be the market for the small NoCo Powersport batteries.

But then they have simpler electrics and lower cranking demands.

I think it already has on motorbikes, certainly that seems to be the market for the small NoCo Powersport batteries.

But then they have simpler electrics and lower cranking demands.
I don’t think it’s a cranking issue, lithium will out crank a lead acid battery all day. I think things like temperature/simplicity/compatibility with existing systems, and of course cost, are all factors.

I don’t think it’s a cranking issue, lithium will out crank a lead acid battery all day. I think things like temperature/simplicity/compatibility with existing systems, and of course cost, are all factors.
I do wonder if we will see separation in lithium based batteries at some point to have ones that are capable of the massive currents but also some that are a little less enthusiastic and maybe a little safer for more leisure power supply roles?

With the notable exception of those wanting to run full power off grid mains inverters of course :whistle:

I
I do wonder if we will see separation in lithium based batteries at some point to have ones that are capable of the massive currents but also some that are a little less enthusiastic and maybe a little safer for more leisure power supply roles?

With the notable exception of those wanting to run full power off grid mains inverters of course :whistle:
I think the massive current capabilities of lithium are a free bonus of the chemistry tbh. I think “downgrading” the current capabilities would actually add to the cost. As long as the internals of the BMS are capable of handling the current, then adding some kind of current limiting mechanism would be an additional expense to the manufacturer.
By nature, lead acid chemistry is self regulating up to a point. If you short a lead acid battery, gas forms on the plates & raises the internal resistance of the battery, this limits the short circuit current. Lithium has no such intrinsic limitations, short a lithium battery & you get a runaway catastrophic cascade. This is why so many fires are being caused by shonky Li batteries in cheap scooters/vapes/e-bikes etc. Ergo why airlines are so twitchy about Li batteries in luggage.

Thanks for the advice, makes sense to me.

After just spending a 20 minute journey with me, the mrs and our 8 year old all in the front of the van, I’m definitely ditching the front bench seat for a single passenger seat. I’d forgotten how distracting it is to have passengers nattering away incessantly.

I think I’ll try out a Fogstar 100ah this time around, unless there’s a cheeky 50ah in a smaller form factor

I think I’ll try out a Fogstar 100ah this time around, unless there’s a cheeky 50ah in a smaller form factor
Sale on today and tomorrow at Eco-Worthy that do a 50ah option.

I've not used them but the 50ah is the one I have my eye on if I do go ahead with a battery install.

Thanks for the advice, makes sense to me.

After just spending a 20 minute journey with me, the mrs and our 8 year old all in the front of the van, I’m definitely ditching the front bench seat for a single passenger seat. I’d forgotten how distracting it is to have passengers nattering away incessantly.

Definitely go 100Ah

Definitely both, although only one can go in the back unfortunately.

I spent the morning removing the bulkhead and ply lining/floor. In retrospect I’m considering putting the bulkhead back in.

Back