MIB2 PQ Discover Media - Infotainment mods, upgrade, FEC / SWaP

lasts hours:
-applying MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T_3G0919360JL (downgrading)
in "service mode" / "test mode" / "SWDL" / "Toggle MANUAL"(touch manual, 1 time) / "download" / "select all" / "install".

-install mibtools again
-verify in 5F / long coding / byte 0-2 is set to crafter
Capture d’écran 2022-08-08 à 20.29.49.png

-install VW_PQ_P0478_FEC_ALL_CID_OFF_CP_OFF_SKIN_FIXED

-copy skins to SD : test mode / GEM / mib2tools / dump / skin

-put SD in computer
-extract skins with
python3 ./extract-mcf.py ../dump/[...]/skin0/images.mcf ~/MCF-478/

-put skin with my car instead of the crafter ones (sometimes I was not sure, I replaced the "MAN" too )

-compress the mcf with new images:
python3 ./compress-mcf.py ../dump/MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T/[...]/skins/skin0/images.mcf ../dump/MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T/[...]/skins/skin0/images2.mcf ~/MCF/\\Unsorted\\/

put skin on SD:
cp ../dump/MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T/[...]/skins/skin0/images2.mcf ../custom/skins/skin0/

put SD in car, copy skin to car:
GEM/mib2tools/tool/customization/skins/copy from /custom/skins

Show Off
tempImagebkncT0.jpgtempImageNdZ7HY.jpg

tempImageHRq0or.jpg

tempImagetg7ahX.jpg
be careful to align left and right of your image to fit exactly the crafter horizontaly!

tempImage5vu5Ym.jpg
same for this one, align perfectly the nose and the tail of the car !

I will maybe mod park pilot to paint my multivan in blue

I need to activate sport mode, but it seems to be more difficult :)

If you have a blue "acapulco" multivan, I can share skin, PM ;)

i still have my Vehicle menu with 480
I only have offroad in menu..
Maybe I have an adaption missing or a FEC not applied.

What is strange is that there is no more « big picture » in my 480 skin…

lasts hours:
-applying MST2_EU_VW_PQ_P0478T_3G0919360JL (downgrading)
in "service mode" / "test mode" / "SWDL" / "Toggle MANUAL"(touch manual, 1 time) / "download" / "select all" / "install".

-install mibtools again
-verify in 5F / long coding / byte 0-2 is set to crafter
View attachment 168257

-install VW_PQ_P0478_FEC_ALL_CID_OFF_CP_OFF_SKIN_FIXED

-copy skins to SD : test mode / GEM / mib2tools / dump / skin

-put SD in computer
-extract skins with

-put skin with my car instead of the crafter ones (sometimes I was not sure, I replaced the "MAN" too )

-compress the mcf with new images:

put skin on SD:

put SD in car, copy skin to car:
GEM/mib2tools/tool/customization/skins/copy from /custom/skins

Show Off
View attachment 168249View attachment 168250

View attachment 168251

View attachment 168252
be careful to align left and right of your image to fit exactly the crafter horizontaly!

View attachment 168256
same for this one, align perfectly the nose and the tail of the car !

I will maybe mod park pilot to paint my multivan in blue

I need to activate sport mode, but it seems to be more difficult :)

If you have a blue "acapulco" multivan, I can share skin, PM ;)
Excellent work!

Do the replacement images have to be the exact same dimensions as the originals?

Is there any transparency to set?

I have a black van so I'll be going with the stock silver images :D

Excellent work!

Do the replacement images have to be the exact same dimensions as the originals?

Is there any transparency to set?

I have a black van so I'll be going with the stock silver images :D
No , no need to be the same size, but if you don’t want to have the image on the text , it must be the same or smaller :)
The only image where it is very important to keep size is the image for park pilote.

No , no need to be the same size, but if you don’t want to have the image on the text , it must be the same or smaller :)
The only image where it is very important to keep size is the image for park pilote.
The replacement image must be same number of pixels, but the image on it don’t need to take the same size.

Hi, i have a question. I bought a unit off ebay, it has CP already active. I've patch CP off thru toolbox but still no sound. Does CP need to be patch before its active for audio to work?

:mexican wave::waving::smile bounce:

Changed in addition to previous trials only this one:
Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-compass_0x15– change to active
Now OFFROAD in main menu!
:grin bounce:

EDIT:
The recap :cool:
ENG122227-ENG117566-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_compass - active
ENG122229-ENG117732-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-compass_0x15 - active
Following this
Step 1. Run you software of choice (VCDS, ODIS, etc).
Step 2. Select 5F-information Elect
Step 3.
It may be necessary to use Security Access-16 – type code 31347 (for some units it’s 20103)
Step 4
. Select Adaptation-10
Step 5. Changes should be applied to several channels (for your ease you can search for “compass_“):

• Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_compass – change to active
  • Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_compass_over_threshold_high – change to active
  • Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-compass_0x15– change to active
Step 6. After successful coding you can safely disconnect interface from your car and restart MIB2 unit (just hold power button for 10 to 15 seconds. Enjoy

Offroad mode will appear as one of the views under Car menu

From MQB.PL
I get the Offroad option but compass & altitude both show no reading, whereas wheel angle looks good. I'm on Hv44 Sv0480, can anyone confirm if that should work? Cheers

Last edited:
it works for me.

Capture d’écran 2022-08-23 à 15.17.16.png
using :
  • Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_compass – change to active
  • Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_compass_over_threshold_high – change to active
  • Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-compass_0x15– change to active
and
  • FEC_ALL

Thanks @Rems , I have those 3 activated but does FEC_ALL mean having all FEC/SWAP codes enabled via mod/patch?
I notice you also have a 'Selection and 'Media options shown in bottom left corner, mine doesn't.

My Oil temp shows null too...#

IMG_20220826_082827.jpg

Thanks @Rems , I have those 3 activated but does FEC_ALL mean having all FEC/SWAP codes enabled via mod/patch?
I notice you also have a 'Selection and 'Media options shown in bottom left corner, mine doesn't.

My Oil temp shows null too...#

View attachment 170255
yes, I used the patch (VW_PQ_P0478_FEC_ALL_CID_OFF_CP_OFF_SKIN_FIXED) to enable all FEC.

Finally upgraded from 02xx to 0478, thanks to the guide by @TheKeymeister
Everything went well bar issue with optical reverse no longer displaying on the head unit.

I don't have crafter as an option in module 5F and 06 byte is set (images below from OBD11).

I've noticed there is only one skin available on ver 478, could this be the problem?
Is there a repo somewhere for skins?

Screenshot_20220906-170754_OBDeleven.jpg

Screenshot_20220906-170803_OBDeleven.jpg

Last edited:
So...I'm not sure if this is allowed to be posted here, so delete if necessary...

If you had a 'friend' who was having some problems with component protection, or needed some missing FEC/SWAP codes activating, and didn't really want to pay the £80-100 people seem to charge for doing this...

They could follow the first part of my guide here and install Mibstd2 toolbox, specifically, the more recent versions of it.

They could then, in theory, go into the Mibstd2 toolbox, go to Customisation, then Advanced, and more than likely find everything they were looking for... :thumbsup:

Yeah I think so... Not too worry though. Head unit out now to save the battery and parts ordered.
Wondering if the second 478T firmware files is a pre-requisite for skins? Prob explains my error! :oops:

Last edited:
Back